Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2015, 11:22 AM   #1

Shopping for a Sunseeker 2300

Hi, Just wanted to know what owners thought of this model. I have been shopping all new motorhomes in the 25 foot range and even though I can afford much more I have been continually attracted to the new 2300. Am I wrong or is this the one?
M and M in Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 12:28 PM   #2

Shopping for a Sunseeker 2300

I don't have a 2300 but do have a sunseeker 3010 and I'm very happy with it. If you like the 2300, then it sounds like it's the best one for you which is what really matters. I've always thought that finding the floor plan you like best is key...much more important than brand, class, cost, etc.
jrwalkerpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 06:46 PM   #3

Hey M and M, We just bought our 2016 2300C (Chevy Chassis) in October. We are traveling now, on our way from Massachusetts to Florida. Prior to this trip we only spent a few days and nights in it. So far we love it.

Its just the right size for the two of us with more storage than we could ever use. The corner bed can be a bit of a pain, but we felt that it was worth dealing with in order to avoid having a slide out. I know people love slides, but they seem to be a major source of problems and we wanted to avoid that. We also wanted to stay well below 30 feet in length.

The curved dinette is comfortable enough and the memory foam-topped mattress is super comfortable. My only real gripe with the kitchen is that the stove has an oven. Not real bad since we just treat it as another cabinet. Another small problem is that the Slow-Rise shades don't cover the windows quite as well as I would like. They are nice shades just the same.

We got the model with the overhead sleeping area and turned that into a storage area for our bicycles in order to keep them out of the weather.

We test drove both the Ford and the Chevy versions and chose the Chevy because it is much quieter and a bit more comfortable due to more foot room for the passenger. I think either one is good and comes down to personal taste. Also the Chevy 4500 chassis has way more cargo capacity than the Ford F350 chassis. We're getting about 10 mpg and hope it will improve as the engine breaks in.

We have had no major issues so far except perhaps the Jensen in-dash radio. It cuts out sometimes and occasionally freezes and stops working. We have spoken to the dealer and they're on the case. I did spend some time fixing loose screws incomplete or messy caulking, a popped screw in the shower surround, and an outlet that was pulling away from the wall. Standard stuff for a new rig, I'm told.

Good luck with your decision.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell
SS Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 10:28 PM   #4

We had a 2012 2300 on a Ford chassis, we liked the small size, the storage area. What we did not like was the corner bed and sitting on the dinnet all the time. So this year we traded it off on a 2700DS which we like very much. The 2300 had just a few very minor problems at the start, and was problem free during the time we had it.
Old 12-07-2015, 10:30 PM   #5
Sunseeker 3010DS

we were looking for a smaller RV mainly for the price. But we ended up buying a 1 year old Sunseeker 3010ds rental unit from a dealer with 18,000 miles cheaper than the smaller new units, the rest of the chassis warranty and know one knows it was used. They kept it in top running condition and fixed all of the manufacturers issues that you will need to deal with the first year or so. The corner bed in the smaller units was a big issue for us and now we can bring the whole family and have more than enough room.
slamac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 01:03 AM   #6

I love my 2250, the slide out has been an issue, but when it's working it's awesome. The "walk around" queen bed is a stretch but doable.
poorbuthappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 03:30 PM   #7

We have a 2014 2300. So far it's been problem free. Just the right size for 2 and a small pooch. We have the Ford E350 chassis.
GMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 03:54 PM   #8

Shopping For A Sunseeker 2300

In 1996 we bought our first Class C RV and for years never saw another that suited us as well. Also, it being a 1990 unit, both it and its driver were getting long in the tooth. Until in Oct, on a whim, we stopped at the RV show in Toronto and fell in love. We saw and bought after no thought almost our 2015 Sunseeker 2300. This is no entry level unit so it is well outfitted. Is it perfect? Not completely, so I’ll start with the raves and then the wishing.

The cockpit is pretty good. The instruments are good and well lit. The mirrors are first rate; remote controlled, heated and gives great viewing. With cameras that connect to the Backup screen automatic switched on when the turn signals are used. Cool and useful. The radio / GPS is an entertainment centre with audio input from the included 30 inch TV. Connecting to a Dolby 5 speaker system gives good sound for movies. The only significant issue is the height of the seats. Unless you are six foot four they are too low. A thick cushion in the short term fixes that. Long term?? I wish the passenger seat could rotate.

Construction, materials and workmanship inside and out, are first class, and I am picky. I wanted a fibreglass roof with a Fantastic fan vent, got it!

Large excellent windows with quality blinds, what’s not to love?

First the raves.

LED lighting, lots of it and well-placed, top marks! Including a long strip under the awning that surprises. Very important if you boondock.

Access to coach batteries and connections are excellent. Switches for patio and awning lights are well placed but need to be lit for when you come in from the dark. It would also be nice to have a very small light on the bottom step to help us old folks at night. Small thing but so much thought has gone into this unit.

Lots of storage but not necessarily where it is needed. It is a challenge to organize dishes, pots and pans, canned goods and utensils. These items are heavy and need to be near at hand if you cook a lot. We do. The jury is still out but I think there will be some modifications coming. Electrical outlets in bed and bath rooms are well placed but in the kitchen, oh my. In the underside of the single cupboard, at the front where they will encourage you to have an accident. They should be at the back towards the outside wall at least! Since our new toaster came with the new length cord we have to balance it on something or use an extension cord. An outlet under the extension shelf, another good idea, would work.

The three-burner cooktop is great, lots of heat but hard to simmer. Not impossible to fix, I think. A cutting board on top gives space when doing dishes. It has a sparker to light the burners, too bad it doesn’t do the oven as well. I’m happy overall.
I would accept a shallower sink to gain a shallow drawer under it. The quality of fixtures is first rate too.

The bathroom/shower/sink gets top marks as well. Great storage above and below the sink.

The U shaped dinette is poorly thought out. To give a six-inch thick sleeping cushion means that the seat is too shallow and you feel that you are sitting on the edge of the seat and since the back is very upright it is very difficult to get comfortable. If four inch foam had been used it would still be comfortable. I regret falling for style instead of comfort. It does look good.

The fridge is 6 cuft and has a reasonable layout. The hot water tank is both gas and electric. The generator works as it should.

Drawers are well constructed with excellent slides. They could have stronger bottoms in the kitchen for my cast iron frying pan etc.

Another smaller drawer under the dinette would also be appreciated.

The basement storage is fantastic. Lots of it and all of it usable. Access for winterizing and dumping is excellent.

So, to recap. The unit is not perfect, none are, it will be improved over time I’m sure. For it’s size it is well appointed and I think represents good value. I know I missed other good points but I know someone else will find them, or I will, we have only been together three weeks.

One year later, Dec 2015, still pretty happy. Put a drawer under rear half of the banquette, solar panels, winterizing bypass valve, use overcab for big basket storage, sliding shelf in rear basement compartment. Raised front seats by two inches. Built a pantry by entry door. Still a few more mods to go.

I would recommend to forget the fancy banquette seats. They take space you can use otherwise. Swivel seat for passenger. Avoid upscale, thick mattress, comfy but hard to make. Make sure you get the heated, remote mirrors, they're great! Ford gets between 8-10 mpg depending on wind direction mostly, at 60 mph. Power to spare. Huge capacity for liquids, important for boondocking and travel. Even for two skinny people we think a slide would give just a bit more floor space and room to move around.

Yep, kinda lengthy, but you asked. If my unit was a car, it would be a Buick. Definitely not an entry level unit. In one year we have gone over 13000 kms. 8125 miles.

Good Luck.

Make sure your partner likes it
GerryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 04:26 PM   #9

Just a bit to add to GerryW's excellent review. We had the bench seat dinette with drawers under the benches. The storage was great but the benches very uncomfortable. There was no vital equipment under the dinette area so we removed it all and use two executive office chairs. Some folks spend more and get small recliners but we were weight conscious. We have a small folding table and beanbag lap trays. An interior door on its side replaced the back of the rear dinette and very narrow shelving behind the drivers seat holds some of what was in the drawers. The cabinets over the dinette area, hard to access before, are easily opened now.
It's a bit difficult to access the cabinets over the bed if you are not agile. The bed is easily made using trash tongs/pinchers.
The 2300 fits about anywhere, no need to tow a vehicle.
Buy with confidence. This is a good unit.
Maggiewaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 05:01 PM   #10

This spring we purchased a used 2014 2500TS. 3 slides gives one lots of room and if they are maintained (lubricated both driving mechanizims and the rubber that goes around them they seal properly and are trouble free. each has its own topper which is a must. The 165 watt solar panel works great and as such we have seldom used the generator. The Ford E-450 has lots of power and the whole unit is great. We put some led push lights in some of the cabinets which work good at night , especially under the sink and in the wardrobe. The roof is fiberglass but as on any roof one has to make sure you check those dicore seals and to add to the venting we installed Maxx Airs on all the vents on the roof.

Brandon2
2014 - 2500 TS Sunseeker
brandon 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 05:21 PM   #11

We looked pretty hard at a 2014 (new year old) Sunseeker 2300 and liked a lot of the features. We also liked the idea of no slides. As other have said, the corner bed was questionable for a silver haired couple. It would have worked for us until we thought about taking our adult kids. Even though the 2300 had a cab-over bed, the bath/bedroom was the real negative for us. If a TV set was added in the bedroom, it would be a little more inconvenient to get out of the corner area.

We opted for a 2014 Sunseeker 2500TS because it had the separate bath area divided by a sliding door and a curtain. The difference was about $6K. What we were not aware of is that the 2015 Ford chassis came with an extra trans gear that would have been nice.

The 2300 we looked at was on a Ford E350 chassis and has a 5000 lb towing capacity. I believe the E350 chassis also has a V-8 (I may stand corrected). The 2500TS is on a Ford E450 chassis, is powered with a V-10, and has 7000 lb tow rating. The 2500TS is actually 27' overall, not including the rear slide. We can extend the rear slide with our boat attached. Gas mileage is pretty close on either. Both had rear view cameras and in dash GPS/radio.

Had we not had family that likes to camp, we would have been happy with the 2300 with the corner bed exception. The 2300 also had the booth dining arrangement (seats divided by the table) which was a real plus for us. The 2500TS has horseshoe seating and a smaller dining table.

Though we have only taken one trip so far, we really like the Sunseeker. This was our daughter-in-law's first experience in a motor home and she loved it. Our son grew up camping and was all smiles.

The 2014 Sunseeker 2300 (new) may still be available in the Minneapolis area if you were interested. It was pretty heavily discounted. If you do take the leap, one thing I would suggest is undercoating the exposed metal underneath.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 05:32 PM   #12

We have something in common. We also have a 2014 2500 TS and have added MaxAir II vent covers and converted to LED lighting. I modified the rear view camera so it wasn't looking at the rear slide awning and added a bedroom TV. So far, we really enjoy it. The one thing that concerned me was that the sub-framing was all bare metal. I have undercoated everything I could get to.
Old 12-08-2015, 05:52 PM   #13

2300 / 4500 chevy. Curvy couch, oven, heat pump, bigfoot, satt. The only possible issue may be the non walk around bed (start the hate mail here), but not sufficently important compared to potentail slide issues. Over all we love it, if a bread or chip truck can get to a site so can we.... It would take a small lotto ticket and a new super c to get me to trade...
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 05:54 PM   #14

Hi GerryW
Our 2014 Sunseeker 2500TS has the driver and passenger seat rotation. When the rearward adjusting lever is tripped, the seats slide back then offset to the center. There is a little lever on the inward side of the seat slide frame toward the rear that you have to manually trip and the seat will swivel. The dealer showed us that they worked, but it later took over an hour to figure out what he did. Is it possible you have this feature without knowing it?
Old 12-08-2015, 06:27 PM   #15

GerryW

I have a mod for the drawer bottoms to stiffen them up, and a mod to increase the weight capacity for the under kitchen sink cabinet. See the albums. Also you can order an addition frezzer shelf for the door.
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 06:37 PM   #16

I still would have had my 2012 year 2300 had it not been for the corner bed. I'm in my 60s, in good health, but had a hard time pulling myself out of the corner. I swore my next RV would have a walk around bed, and it does (2860DS). U shaped dinette was also uncomfortable.

Plusses, a lot of storage and small enough to go almost anywhere.
KQ2N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 10:07 AM   #17

Rotating Seats

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenJoe View Post
Hi GerryW
Our 2014 Sunseeker 2500TS has the driver and passenger seat rotation. When the rearward adjusting lever is tripped, the seats slide back then offset to the center. There is a little lever on the inward side of the seat slide frame toward the rear that you have to manually trip and the seat will swivel. The dealer showed us that they worked, but it later took over an hour to figure out what he did. Is it possible you have this feature without knowing it?
No Chance. I bought 2"x2" steel square tubing And raised the seats. With our leg length it made a big difference. I also set the passenger seat further back to make it easier to get in/out of the seat. Eventually i guess I will buy a rotator assembly when the Canadian dollar recovers. Thanks
GerryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 07:18 PM   #18

I've got a Forester 2301 which is the twin to the Sunseeker 2300 with just more bells and whistles. Our previous motorhome (class c) was a Tioga 23' with bunk beds in the back. As it's only my wife and I now we didn't need bunk beds and we didn't want to climb up into the front overhead bed any more. We're traveling with ours right now and we love it. The only thing I don't like is the bathroom sink is in the bedroom area rather than being enclosed in the bathroom. However....by having the sink there there's more room around the rear bed. There's so much storage space in this model that we haven't been able to fill up all the cabinets and storage areas. We've got a Chevy chassis, I prefer the Chevy for the extra passenger leg room and the cab seems to be a little quieter. The doghouse on the Chevy doesn't seem to get as hot as the Ford doghouse.

Would I buy it again? Absolutely, as long it is on a Chevy! Oh, and regarding climbing out of the rear queen....not an issue. I'm 61 and don't have any trouble. We have a TV in the bedroom and it's out of the way so that's not an issue either. The only thing I did was move the 12v/cable TV plug plate up the wall so that it's above the TV. Where FR installed it someone could kick it.

We love the size of the entire unit, it will fit in normal parking lots, just takes up 2 spaces front to back. My wife doesn't have any issues driving it at all.

2015 Forester 2301 - Chevy
Skip & Deb
Forester Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 11:04 PM   #19

What kind of interstate batteries do you recommend for the Sunseeker?
Airbornemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 07:34 AM   #20

Corner bed and the dinette drove us away to our 2250 slec (walkaround slideout bed & 24' long ). Jumping into a corner bed is no fun. On the upside, 2300 has all the amenities. Ah,choose wisely , Grasshopper !

Tags
sunseeker