Old 09-26-2010, 04:54 PM   #1
2003 Sunseeker 3100SS

Shower leaking

Just got back from our second weekend RV'ing in our 2003 3100SS Sunseeker LE. My wife got a shower yesterday and I noticed water all over the floor next to the shower. I quicking sopped it up with a towel and now wondered where the water came from!? I used the shower 2 weeks ago and there was no water on the floor.

I am thinking it came out through the door but this looks nearly inmpossible. I looked at the shower unit itself and wonder if it is leaking where the wall piece meets the floor piece? Although this should overlap and drain out over. Wondering if anyone else had a problem with their shower leaking!?!?

(PS. I unscrewed the access panel just below the taps and the walls insde were dry so it is not leaking at the plumming).

Old 09-26-2010, 06:24 PM   #2

If it were me, I would send the wife back in there to take another shower while I watched....... for leaks.

I am assuming this is a unit with a glass shower door? Did anybody take a shower before her?

The only reason why I say that is, ours has gotten water all over the floor when the door was left open a few minutes and all the water that was on the door dripped off onto the floor.

2006 Sierra F28 Rear Kitchen 5th Wheel, 31' = 10k pounds.
Nights camped in 09-14, 2010-23
Mr. Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 07:03 PM   #3

Check the level of the trailer. The wall kits use overlapping joints which will shed water into the shower-base even if not caulked. Sometimes if the shower base is not level the water will leak out from the cavity formed by the wall flange of the shower-base where it is sort of tucked up behind the lower edge of the wall kit.
I had this happen in our last trailer.

Mike
Old 09-26-2010, 08:51 PM   #4
2003 Sunseeker 3100SS

Mike, This is what very well may have happened! It was on a bit of a downward angle this weekend! Thanks for the lead.

I will also take Steve's advise and send the wife back inthe shower...LOL...strictly for research purposes!!

\Thanks guys!
Old 10-16-2010, 12:50 PM   #5

When my 02 leaked, it was around the faucet base. Dealer replaced the faucet and I haven't had any more problems. They said the holes in the tub were drilled for a larger faucet. Sounded odd but I can't argue with succes
Old 10-16-2010, 02:31 PM   #6
Villa Estate 392FLFB

I have this happen all the time to. not sure why it does it. i used plumbers crack filler all along the edges but it doesnt seem to be leaking from there.. think its the plastic flap thing at the bottom of the door...
Old 10-16-2010, 06:12 PM   #7

One of the most common mistakes that people make when installing a shower door is to caulk the joints between the different parts of the door on the inside of the shower. And what makes matters worse is when they also caulk the outside joints as well. A properly installed shower door is only caulked on the outside. It seems kinda counter intuitive but I can explain. All doors that are made from aluminum extrusions will allow some water to get between the extrusions some how. When the door is caulked on the inside only, that water will drain to the outside of the shower. When the door is caulked on both sides the water will fill the cavities and then finally find a way out usually just where it will do the most damage. If the door is caulked only on the outside the water will drain only to the inside as that is the easiest path for it to take. The only exception to this is the joint between the door frame and the wall finish.

My suggestion is to remove any caulking on the inside of your shower door and then re-caulk using a bathroom grade silicone. Another tip is to use 99% Isopropyl alcohol to disinfect and clean the areas to help prevent traping mildew spores in the areas you caulk. Also, use the alcohol to disinfect and lubricate your finger if you use your finger to dress the joint.

Tags
sunseeker le