Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2013, 10:02 AM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to Chrisbrock
Side view cameras

We have a 2014 Sunseeker 3170ds. We have the rear camera and was wondering if anyone thinks it is worth the expense to add the side cameras.

I can see everything with the mirrors and the rear camera. Am I missing something ?

Thoughts from members please!
2003 Hummer H2
2003 IS300
Chrisbrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:19 AM   #2

I had the Forester 3171, no issues using the huge mirrors and rear camera.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:22 AM   #3

Thats what my thoughts were. Would like to hear from someone that has the side cameras
2003 Hummer H2
2003 IS300
Old 09-07-2013, 10:24 AM   #4

LOL - I'm sure they'll tell you that side cameras are great... I'm sure they are - your question is adding them at great expense after the fact. The answer is you can see well with the current setup unless you really feel the need to add them. You'll never recoup the costs.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:16 AM   #5

I have both sides and backup. The sides come on with the turn signals. I use the backup all the time but seldom refer to the sides. In fact, I sometimes get annoyed when waiting to turn that the side view has displaced the map view so I can't study where I'm going.

Bill
bspickler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:17 AM   #6

Bill does the side view cameras cover anything that the mirrors dont?
2003 Hummer H2
2003 IS300
Old 09-07-2013, 11:20 AM   #7

No, it doesn't cover anything more than the mirrors. I still have a blind spot close in and down on the drivers side. I will say the cameras do work well but don't add anything.

Bill
bspickler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:23 PM   #8

I have the side cameras.

Back when I was shopping, if I had special ordered a unit, I was pretty adamant that I wanted them.

We ended up buying a stock unit off the lot & they were already there.

Now, having them, I don't use them all that much. I leave the backup camera on all the time. And, like others I'm sure, I don't make a lot of lane changes. So, when I do make a lane change, I have a pretty good idea who is behind / beside me from the backup camera. The mirrors do a great job. If at all, it would just be a quick glance to the side cameras.

They do come in pretty handy if you're turning at a weird angle. For example, when pulling out of a drive that's almost parallel to the road & when the house portion makes it impossible to see "over your shoulder". I've actually turned on the wrong turn signal there to get a view of the side.

My advice:
- If I had to order a new unit today, I would probably get them as they don't add that much to the overall price.
- If I were buying a stock unit today, I wouldn't care at all if there were on the unit or not.
- If I didn't have them, I wouldn't add them aftermarket unless you really wanted them & could do it inexpensively.

mweber78 - Surprised? Two people with the side cameras & neither were saying they're great.

bspickler - Why do the side cameras interfere with your map? On mine, both the backup & side cameras show on the "rear view mirror" (the backup is always on & then flashes to the side camera image when using the the turn signal). The map shows on the radio screen.
paulmlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:44 PM   #9

Good point. I think I'll just stick with the mirrors. Rear camera covers most of what I can't see out of the mirrors.

Just mod happy right now. New toy

Changed the internal lights out to LED. Regular bulbs turned the glass super hot. Looking for a second house battery. I'm sure the list will grow

Thanks for the input everyone.
2003 Hummer H2
2003 IS300
Old 09-07-2013, 08:44 PM   #10

If the cameras could be left on at the camp site for additional security, I would think about it, otherwise, do not need them.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:57 PM   #11

I have a new FR3 with side and back cameras. When traveling through an area with many on ramps, I like having the side camera to better see and keep track of traffic coming up the ramp. Better seen in it then my mirrors.
When out on regular roads or out on long runs on the interstate, I just use the backup camera on.
Ron Chamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:08 AM   #12
Sunseeker 2500TS owner

I find the mirror cams useful. When doing lane changes mine show side of RV and blind spots better than mirrors. It does take some getting used to looking at monitor vice mirror when turning or changing lanes. My RV came with the side cameras, bought mine off lot, but not an option I would consider high priority. Hope this helps.
ejkkj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:11 AM   #13

Yes more I think about it side cameras would come in handy. Yesterday while driving I lane changed and almost ran over a small car. I didn't see it. It was clear in my side mirrors and I keep my rear camera on while driving. Apparently it was in my blind spot when I was making the move ...
2003 Hummer H2
2003 IS300
Old 09-09-2013, 12:58 PM   #14

Can you have all cameras operating at the same time?
In order to fit my unit into my courtyard I must fold the mirrors in. Fully operating cameras would help.
Displaced2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:30 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced2 View Post
Can you have all cameras operating at the same time?
In order to fit my unit into my courtyard I must fold the mirrors in. Fully operating cameras would help.
No. Only 1 of the 3 at any time. On mine, the backup camera is on all the time. Then it changes to the left or right camera once I flip the turn signal.

Also, unless the mirrors are extended, you wouldn't see beside the unit (you would see the side of the unit itself).
'94 Coleman Cedar Pop Up
paulmlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:12 AM   #16

I have a FR3 motor home and my cameras are mounted to the side of the unit, not the mirrors. In reading the general paperwork for the monitor system, the company makes a unit that can show all 3 at once or just each one. The one I got factory installed, just shows one at a time. So would depend on how deep your pockets to choice.
Ron Chamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:26 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmlac View Post
They do come in pretty handy if you're turning at a weird angle. For example, when pulling out of a drive that's almost parallel to the road & when the house portion makes it impossible to see "over your shoulder". I've actually turned on the wrong turn signal there to get a view of the side.
This is a good use for them...at least the right side. In fact I think I might add another camera specifically for this gap. When I don't have a navigator, I have to watch it so I don't get into that situation. I already added a wireless out the back of my trailer, but have one more input on the factory mixer. You can use a splitter and alternate the powere to the camera with a separate switch as I did in the Jeep to swicth between backup/hitch cam and back of trailer wireless unit.
EXTremist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:43 PM   #18

Something else to note about the side cameras; no infrared lights so the side cameras done't help much on lane changing at night unless a cars headlights show up in the lane. Sort of a weird image to see the monitor change to complete black when I signaled to enter or exit the interstate ramp.

One item I like about the side cameras is that they are wide angle lenses and I can see curbs (or lack of on drives bordering ditches) at the back end of the coach. Since I pull a toad it also helps me see it clear the turn too.

On the monitor (as pointed out in a post above) you can manually switch to any of the cameras. I use this feature when backing into a camp site. It helps keep the clearance in check with trees (including the utility tree). Saves on the rubber-necking.

Bobby
bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote