Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2014, 08:36 AM   #1

SiriusXM Radio Reception

I may buy a SiriusXM radio. They come with a small antenna that sits on the dashboard. Will my overhang block the satellite signal (the same way you lose it under a gas station roof)?
FNightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 08:06 PM   #2

I testing my radio out when installing it with the antennae on the dash. Didn't work too well, was intermittent. Some put the ant out at the end of the hood with good results. I ran the wire out the corner of the front slide and put it on the roof. As expected it works great.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 08:15 PM   #3

I tried the antenna on the roof and it worked great, however I needed to replace it several times. I ended up putting it on the dash and didn't have anymore problems with it. It seems they are very fragile with a super thin wire, I just had tons of problems with the antenna on the roof.

Chuck "still in Va "
Charles Firth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 04:38 PM   #4

I tried on the dash and it was in and out. Ran the wire out the drivers door and out to the hood. It works great there.
PAWDWCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 04:46 PM   #5

Ran mine to behind the TV and mounted it to the top edge of the TV with douple stick tape. Works great. Initially ran it to the front of the overhang under the mattress. That worked well also until we kept piling stuff up there.
Old 12-04-2014, 04:47 PM   #6

Funny. The factory antenna on my Ram gives horrible reception with lots of drop outs. Same radio on DW's car with a portable magnetic mount antenna that has been there since 2007 works great. To me this proves antenna placement is everything
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 06:51 PM   #7

When we used my father in laws Lexington a couple of years ago I put the antenna out on the hood. It worked ok but when headed north we did have some signal drops. When we got our Lexington I put it on the roof and the signal is much better.
clhjsh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio, reception