Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2016, 11:21 PM   #41

Went to my dealer today and waited around while they checked out the slide. I had openings on both bottom lower corners of the Above Floor Slide with light shining thru. They fixed that and worked on the seals. They said they spoke with FR and were only able to adjust the corner 1/8" inch. Since I wasn't allowed in the work area, I can't say what or how it was done.
2018 Camping 10 trips 38 nights
2019 Camping 6 trips 19 nights
2020 Camping 0 trips Cancellations 6
Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 12:14 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagecoachdriver View Post
Went to my dealer today and waited around while they checked out the slide. I had openings on both bottom lower corners of the Above Floor Slide with light shining thru. They fixed that and worked on the seals. They said they spoke with FR and were only able to adjust the corner 1/8" inch. Since I wasn't allowed in the work area, I can't say what or how it was done.

Sage, what are they doing to the seals? We had a problem with the drivers side slide a few weeks ago where one end had dropped a couple of inches and was rubbing the floor very hard. They fixed that problem and the slide looks level now but now one of the seals on the side is tearing from the top. Back to the dealer we go.
2016 Forester 3171DS (ordered March & arrived June 2015)
benagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 01:00 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by benagi View Post
Sage, what are they doing to the seals? We had a problem with the drivers side slide a few weeks ago where one end had dropped a couple of inches and was rubbing the floor very hard. They fixed that problem and the slide looks level now but now one of the seals on the side is tearing from the top. Back to the dealer we go.
Ben, I don't really know as I wasn't allowed in the work area. I believe they cleaned the seals and added another rubber seal.
I did ask them about the extra 5/8" bolt hanging down in the lower compartment where the manual bolt is and the tech said it's for the vertical adjustment and there are 2. I said where's the second one and it's in the generator compartment. Sure enough, there it was. Learn something every day.!
Since it's still under warranty Ben, it's best to have the dealer fix that. Mine still sticks out slightly more than I'd like on the driver's side front of the slide. I'm following the other topic to see if he gets his gear back in place.
I only have 2 1/2 months left under warranty, how about you?
2018 Camping 10 trips 38 nights
2019 Camping 6 trips 19 nights
2020 Camping 0 trips Cancellations 6
Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 04:37 AM   #44

Finally got it back, taking our maiden cruise this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShermanD View Post
We have a 1 1/2" gap along the bottom, it is so wide that the seals do not touch, The seals stop touching the body about half way down the front edge and you can see light coming in from the outside when the slide is closed.
We picked the Sunseeker up from A & S RV Center, The slide out motors were wired backwards, #1 towards drive #2 towards rear, which was giving the slide out controller headaches. They corrected that problem and re-programmed the end points.

While the gap at the bottom is still noticeable, it is a whole lot better than before (about 1" at the bottom front) and all the seals finally make good contact with the cabin.

The faulty hot water heater electronic ignition module was changed out so the water heater works fine running on propane now.

We had noticed how the sound on Jensen Dash radio/navigation system
when we would hit a bump. They were having trouble duplicating the problem so they decided to give a CD a try, well the unit wouldnt read a cd, so they warrantied the old one and installed a brand new one.

Hopefully these are the last of the problems with your new motorhome, especially seeing as we picked it up on May 5 and this weekend will be our maiden voyage.

It is really a sad day for the industry when the manufacturers, allow dealerships to deliver defective equipment. Lloyd Bridges Traveland, Chelsea, MI charged us $450 to do the mandated Forest River pre-delivery inspection and then delivers us a malfunctioning RV instead of fixing the problems prior to delivery. The issues I listed above were occurring during the trip home and the very first time we personally tried to use them. It is obvious to me that Lloyd Bridges Traveland either did not do the pre-inspection as mandated or hid the problems from us so they could get their money and send us on their way.

Think twice before you even consider dealing with Lloyd Bridges Traveland and be fore-warned, they sell all their RV's "AS-IS, including new ones. They make it your responsibility to deal with the manufactures to get warranty work done.

I need to give a big Thank You to Brian Meeks, Forest River, and to Rick Danz and the mechanics at A&S RV Center, Auburn Hills, MI, for handling the warranty work on our Sunseeker, even though we did not purchase it from them.

Hopefully A&S RV Center will carry an RV to our liking should we ever upgrade to a newer, bigger, model.

BTW we did let them know that we wouldn't bother them should we find any other issues till fall, unless of course they are major issues.
ShermanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 05:42 AM   #45

Makes you wonder what FR is testing

Quote:
We picked the Sunseeker up from A & S RV Center, The slide out motors were wired backwards, #1 towards drive #2 towards rear, which was giving the slide out controller headaches. They corrected that problem and re-programmed the end points.

While the gap at the bottom is still noticeable, it is a whole lot better than before (about 1" at the bottom front) and all the seals finally make good contact with the cabin.

The faulty hot water heater electronic ignition module was changed out so the water heater works fine running on propane now.

We had noticed how the sound on Jensen Dash radio/navigation system
when we would hit a bump. They were having trouble duplicating the problem so they decided to give a CD a try, well the unit wouldnt read a cd, so they warrantied the old one and installed a brand new one.

Hopefully these are the last of the problems with your new motorhome, especially seeing as we picked it up on May 5 and this weekend will be our maiden voyage.

It is really a sad day for the industry when the manufacturers, allow dealerships to deliver defective equipment. Lloyd Bridges Traveland, Chelsea, MI charged us $450 to do the mandated Forest River pre-delivery inspection and then delivers us a malfunctioning RV instead of fixing the problems prior to delivery. The issues I listed above were occurring during the trip home and the very first time we personally tried to use them. It is obvious to me that Lloyd Bridges Traveland either did not do the pre-inspection as mandated or hid the problems from us so they could get their money and send us on their way.

Think twice before you even consider dealing with Lloyd Bridges Traveland and be fore-warned, they sell all their RV's "AS-IS, including new ones. They make it your responsibility to deal with the manufactures to get warranty work done.

I need to give a big Thank You to Brian Meeks, Forest River, and to Rick Danz and the mechanics at A&S RV Center, Auburn Hills, MI, for handling the warranty work on our Sunseeker, even though we did not purchase it from them.

Hopefully A&S RV Center will carry an RV to our liking should we ever upgrade to a newer, bigger, model.

BTW we did let them know that we wouldn't bother them should we find any other issues till fall, unless of course they are major issues.
From a previous post by Joshua Cavitt - I can't speak for other divisions of Forest River but at ours we have ten different tests our units have to go through before they come offline.

This includes testing the electrical, plumbing, the propane system and a pressure test in the rain bay, we are the only manufacturer that fills our tanks with water the entire time they are on the production line to make sure they don't leak. Once they come offline and are finished we pull them over to our scales and weigh them and send them on a 10 mile test drive at varying speeds.

So how does a motorhome get out the door of the factory with backwards wired slide out motors? Blame the dealers, yes, for poor to non-existent PDI, but how about the manufacturer for poor to non-existent "testing"?
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 05:43 AM   #46

AS-IS on a NEW unit This Must be a JOKE! NO way I would walk through the DOOR of a place like that! Youroo!!
Old 06-15-2016, 07:40 PM   #47

We finallyly got to head out on the road today. Did about 260 miles pulling the trailer. Sunseeker cruises real nice doing 60-65. Trailer tracks real nice and barely notice it is there. I am amazed at how smooth the cruise on the mercedes is. Up and down hills at 65 without downshifting. The diesel was turning about 2600 rpm at 65. Already got a couple charges planned. Those cheap dunlops are only rated 1700lbs each on thr rear. Decent range E goodyears are rated 2200lbs each. Gonna add some helpers on the rear also. Finally got a chance to read all the fine print on the gvw. With those dunlopa we only have about 1100 pounds to play with. Tongue weight is 300. We weigh 360. 30 gallons of water is almost another 200. Leaves less than 300 for everythong else. Learn something new every day. Forest river advertised 4500 towing capacity and 450 tpngue weight bur neverwntioned that was part of your gvw
Old 06-15-2016, 07:58 PM   #48

Are you sure?

Quote:
We finallyly got to head out on the road today. Did about 260 miles pulling the trailer. Sunseeker cruises real nice doing 60-65. Trailer tracks real nice and barely notice it is there. I am amazed at how smooth the cruise on the mercedes is. Up and down hills at 65 without downshifting. The diesel was turning about 2600 rpm at 65. Already got a couple charges planned. Those cheap dunlops are only rated 1700lbs each on thr rear. Decent range E goodyears are rated 2200lbs each. Gonna add some helpers on the rear also. Finally got a chance to read all the fine print on the gvw. With those dunlopa we only have about 1100 pounds to play with. Tongue weight is 300. We weigh 360. 30 gallons of water is almost another 200. Leaves less than 300 for everythong else. Learn something new every day. Forest river advertised 4500 towing capacity and 450 tpngue weight bur neverwntioned that was part of your gvw
Have you checked the FR sticker on the driver's side door jamb to see what your actual CCC (payload) is? I'll bet it's less than the 1160 pounds you calculated.
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 09:33 AM   #49

You will be overloaded with the MBS- nearly everyone is- especially pulling a trailer.
A small flat tow TOAD might make it...maybe.

The MBS takes some time to break in. It will pull better with better mileage once that diesel breaks in.
Old 06-19-2016, 04:43 PM   #50

it most likely was overloaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Loss View Post
You will be overloaded with the MBS- nearly everyone is- especially pulling a trailer.
A small flat tow TOAD might make it...maybe.

The MBS takes some time to break in. It will pull better with better mileage once that diesel breaks in.
Actually according to the sticker, If you put a middle age couple with middle age weight problems in the driver and passenger seat, have a half tank of of fresh water, a quarter tank of grey water, a quarter tank of black water, two lawn chairs, a small grill, food provisions and clothes for the weekend, You are most likely overloaded.

The real question should be what kind of weight can the rear axle actually handle. Forest River comes with the cheapest possible E rated tires on it. 1700 pounds each in dual configuration. A good set of Goodyears will give you 2200 pounds each. there is another 2000 pounds if the axle will handle it. Han anyone been able for find any real data on it.

I remember my first truck was a 1967 Ford F100, 1/2 ton pickup. and how we used to put a yard of sand in the back at the pit and bring it home. Yes the springs were bottomed out carrying that 3000 load but we never blew a tire nor busted an axle.

Tags
slide