Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2016, 05:36 PM   #1
MH Noob
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Part Timer
Posts: 138
Slide Adjustment - Need your opinion

Hi there,

So I asked my dealer (they are a joke) whether or not this slide needed to be adjusted. The lower leading edge is not flush on the bottom. All other edges are flush with the body of the motorhome. The dealer said it was normal, but after this last trip, I could hear some air coming in going down the road - seems like it could be adjusted. What does your main slide look like?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front Edge.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	276.9 KB
ID:	109808   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front Edge Close.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	185.5 KB
ID:	109809   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Edge.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	219.9 KB
ID:	109810  
__________________

__________________
Slimjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 02:04 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Wandering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 446
I have a smaller u-shaped dinette slide on my Forester. Mine was also slightly angled similar to yours and the dealer did adjust it so it is now has a nearly uniform gap all around. Most important the seal has good contact all around.

I'm note my slide motor failed also so it was replaced at the same time. Fortunately still under warranty at the time.


Forester 2451s
__________________

__________________
Forester 2451s
Wandering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 02:11 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: West Jordan, UT
Posts: 829
I have a TT, but my slide wasnt flush all the way around either (mine wasnt as bad of a gap as yours) after talking with my dealer and some investigating the seal makes a flush seal and nothing gets in or out, I was told by another dealer a solid seal is the most important part. Since you say it isnt sealing I think it needs adjusting.
__________________
2018 XLR Nitro 36T15
2015 GMC 3500 6.6/Allison

Nights Camped (2017- 16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 07:16 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 353
Wish my gap was that small, I would be estatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimjc View Post
Hi there,

So I asked my dealer (they are a joke) whether or not this slide needed to be adjusted. The lower leading edge is not flush on the bottom. All other edges are flush with the body of the motorhome. The dealer said it was normal, but after this last trip, I could hear some air coming in going down the road - seems like it could be adjusted. What does your main slide look like?
They say a picture is worth a thousand words. Our gap is so wide the seals do not make contact with the body
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	slidegap1.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	110583  
__________________
ShermanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 10:12 AM   #5
MH Noob
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Part Timer
Posts: 138
Josh - do you have any input?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShermanD View Post
They say a picture is worth a thousand words. Our gap is so wide the seals do not make contact with the body
So this can't be right. I was looking online at Sunseekers and Forresters - some have the slide flush and some are tweaked like ours - what is the right position and how do I get it there. I understand it is just a couple of bolts below - but if the slide is just not square - adjusting bolts will do nothing.
__________________
Slimjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 10:19 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Total Loss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 557
I have asked several people on this subject.
They say- of the seal is sealed- leave it alone.
But I want it tighter.
I have not been given an answer on how to do this.
Mine is gapped tight at the top and further out at the bottom.
No leaks yet- that I have found.
__________________
"If you are going through hell..keep going"
W. Churchill
Total Loss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 10:42 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 2,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Loss View Post
I have asked several people on this subject.
They say- of the seal is sealed- leave it alone.
But I want it tighter.
I have not been given an answer on how to do this.
Mine is gapped tight at the top and further out at the bottom.
No leaks yet- that I have found.

It depends on the manufacturer and type of slide, but when you get down to it they are all relatively easy to adjust.

Usually the problem you run into is access to the adjustments because the manufacturers have their heads buried up their keisters when they design things.
__________________
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 11:03 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Sagecoachdriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,466
My Forester dinette slide looks exactly like Slimjc. I was told the same, if it doesn't leak, leave it alone. Have an appointment Monday at the dealer and will ask again about adjusting the Lippert Above Floor slide-out while still under warranty.
NOTE;READ IN LIPPERT MANUAL, ALL ADJUSTMENTS MUST BE MADE BY CERTIFIED FACTORY TRAINED PERSONNEL OR WARRANTY MAY BE VOIDED!
I was told that because the mechanism is on the bottom, the top makes contact first and the bottom pulls in. Also, that the slide rocks up when extending and retracting as to prevent scrapping on the floor and carpeting. Hense, the bottom of the slide extends out more than the top. Mine has the manual in/out bolt under slide in the compartment below and there is another similar bolt closer to the outside. Not sure what that adjusts and will ask the dealer Monday. Who knows what to believe anymore!
Here's Lippert's diagram:http://www.lci1.com/assets/content/s...ly_Webpage.pdf
Looks like mine is the worse of the bunch in the photos!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1794.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	110598   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1792.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	110599  
__________________
2004 Winnebago Minnie 22e(went to a nice family Oct 3, 2015)
2016 Forester 2701DS (Aug 31, 2015)
2017 Camping 10 trips 32 nights
Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 12:23 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Total Loss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagecoachdriver View Post
My Forester dinette slide looks exactly like Slimjc. I was told the same, if it doesn't leak, leave it alone. Have an appointment Monday at the dealer and will ask again about adjusting the Lippert Above Floor slide-out while still under warranty.
NOTE;READ IN LIPPERT MANUAL, ALL ADJUSTMENTS MUST BE MADE BY CERTIFIED FACTORY TRAINED PERSONNEL OR WARRANTY MAY BE VOIDED!
I was told that because the mechanism is on the bottom, the top makes contact first and the bottom pulls in. Also, that the slide rocks up when extending and retracting as to prevent scrapping on the floor and carpeting. Hense, the bottom of the slide extends out more than the top. Mine has the manual in/out bolt under slide in the compartment below and there is another similar bolt closer to the outside. Not sure what that adjusts and will ask the dealer Monday. Who knows what to believe anymore!
Here's Lippert's diagram:http://www.lci1.com/assets/content/s...ly_Webpage.pdf
Looks like mine is the worse of the bunch in the photos!
Mine looks the same as yours.
Let me know what the do...if anything.
Mine just seems like the lower tracks are 1 or 2 teeth off on the gears.
When mine is retracted, it appears level though. (Bed slide)
__________________
"If you are going through hell..keep going"
W. Churchill
Total Loss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 12:41 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 103
I would take it back to the dealership and have them fix it, it looks like a new camper and the last thing you want is to run out of warranty and be stuck with a problem. I had a similar problem with one of my slides, it was the top back corner, the dealer said that is normal, I wasn't falling for it. Come to find out, the slide adjustments lock-nuts were not even touching the plates. The slide-out adjustment bolts were backing out.
__________________

__________________
wildcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
slide

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:17 AM.