Old 04-07-2019, 03:21 PM   #1

Slide not working...leaving for Spring Break on Friday

I posted this in the "slide outs" section of Tech and Repair. Meant to put it here, now I can't figure out how to remove the other post...I apologize for the duplication.

I have a 2015 Sunseeker 3100SS with a Lippert above floor dual rail slide. I've never had any issues with it. This morning I extended it to do some cleaning before we leave for spring break with the kids on Friday. When it was fully extended, instead of the usual clicks it made a different sound. Now it doesn't move in or out with either the motor or the manual crank. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated....Click image for larger version

Name:	20190407_140124.jpeg
Views:	211
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	201105

rad_jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 04:36 PM   #2

Does the motor make noise but the slide doesn't move?

When you try the manual crank does it turn but the side doesn't move or is the crank too hard to turn?

Old 04-07-2019, 04:40 PM   #3
2012 Solera

The black hollow rod coming out of the gear box to the right in your picture - and another similar one on the other side (on our Solera) actually turn the gear which moves the slide. These hollow rods are connected on both ends with bolts or pins which can shear and stop turning the gear that moves the slide. This is where I would look.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 05:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fobagbob View Post
Does the motor make noise but the slide doesn't move?

When you try the manual crank does it turn but the side doesn't move or is the crank too hard to turn?
Yes...motor makes noise, but the slide doesn't move. Looking at the manual crank...it spins when the motor is turning. When I try to turn it with a wrench, it just spins.
Old 04-07-2019, 05:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeising View Post
The black hollow rod coming out of the gear box to the right in your picture - and another similar one on the other side (on our Solera) actually turn the gear which moves the slide. These hollow rods are connected on both ends with bolts or pins which can shear and stop turning the gear that moves the slide. This is where I would look.
Hard to get a good pic, but my setup sounds slightly different. My slide has 2 gears. In the pic I posted, the hollow shaft that goes off to the right goes to the gear toward the front of the slide. The solid shaft that it is attached to in the pic goes through what seems to be some type of a gearbox, and on to the gear toward the rear of the slide. Problem I'm having is that the solid shaft that turns the rear gear and the shaft to the front gear isn't moving.
Old 04-07-2019, 05:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad_jr View Post
Yes...motor makes noise, but the slide doesn't move. Looking at the manual crank...it spins when the motor is turning. When I try to turn it with a wrench, it just spins.

OK, so it is not an electrical problem. In your photo, does the horizontal shaft move when the motor makes noise? If not, can you manually rotate the horizontal shaft by hand reaching under with the motor off?
Old 04-07-2019, 05:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad_jr View Post
Hard to get a good pic, but my setup sounds slightly different. My slide has 2 gears. In the pic I posted, the hollow shaft that goes off to the right goes to the gear toward the front of the slide. The solid shaft that it is attached to in the pic goes through what seems to be some type of a gearbox, and on to the gear toward the rear of the slide. Problem I'm having is that the solid shaft that turns the rear gear and the shaft to the front gear isn't moving.

If the solid shaft does not turn when the motor is running then you have a problem with the gear box. Also, that is why the manual shaft just spins.

with a stripped gear box, you could probably push the slide in from the outside, that won't help your upcoming trip but the slide will be in.
Old 04-07-2019, 06:26 PM   #8

OK...so I was able to get the slide to come in...not sure how. I was messing with the button...motor spins and something "ticks", like the clicking at the end of the run, but not as loud.

Anyway, it moved in a little. Made it go back out, then back in...it went about half way. Out again, then in again, and it came all the way in.

Sounds like whatever "clicks" at the end of the run isn't "catching" if that makes sense...I don't know what makes that noise or how it works. Maybe someone here can shed some light?
Old 04-07-2019, 11:36 PM   #9

I don't know what the design looks like, but I think the clicking noise is some sort of clutch mechanism that slips at some load greater than the normal working load to move the slide. Sounds like your "clutch" stuck in the slip mode and is now working again.
Old 04-08-2019, 12:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fobagbob View Post
I don't know what the design looks like, but I think the clicking noise is some sort of clutch mechanism that slips at some load greater than the normal working load to move the slide. Sounds like your "clutch" stuck in the slip mode and is now working again.
The plan it to leave it until we get to where were going and cross my fingers! I've never used the safety braces before, but thinking it's a good idea for this trip. Since I don't really know what's wrong, I don't know how confident I am that the slide won't come out going down the road....

Tags
slide