Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2015, 08:53 PM   #1

Slide out seal gaps

I have a 2014 3010DS. Recently I was looking under the sofa deck with the slide extended and I could see this big area of daylight. I checked from the outside and saw that there is no seal at all on the inner area of the two slide brackets. The gap doesn't appear that big of a deal but it's definitely large enough for insects or small animals to get through. My main concern is generator exhaust coming into the coach.

I showed it to the dealer and they had no idea what to do about the problem. I dropped the unit off at the shop for some periodic maintenance before this spring and to try and close the gap. I picked it up the other day after several weeks and the seal problem hasn't been resolved. Has any of you seasoned travelers seen or had this problem? Any ideas on what I might do about it? Traveling season is starting up and I'd feel better knowing I'm sealed up rather than stuffing foam in the bracket every time I set up.

Two years retired.
rdsunseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:10 PM   #2

I don't think there should be any opening to the outside, like you said insects could get in not to mention water if there is some wind driven rain. I would get some good pictures and contact FR about it, include your vin so they can check up on it.

(2013 Ford F150 Crewcab Ecoboost traded)
Mowgli64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 08:35 PM   #3

We have just a rubber flap with cutouts for the slide gear rack. I have cut pool noodles to stuff in the gap in cold or buggy conditions. Works for me.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 09:11 PM   #4

I was figuring I would try the same thing. I'm glad to hear that it works. I'm still going to try FR to see what they have to say. I use those same pool noodles for corner guards on the slides.
Old 05-01-2015, 12:57 PM   #5

I have a 2500TS with the same problem the RV repair said he ordered a wider gasket for it???? I am waiting to see how it is repaired???

gtony2
gtony2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 07:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsunseeker View Post
I was figuring I would try the same thing. I'm glad to hear that it works. I'm still going to try FR to see what they have to say. I use those same pool noodles for corner guards on the slides.

I had to kind of sculpt around the gear rack. Just make sure that the bottom of the side flaps are not tucked in behind the noodle. Rain will run down the side flap and into the coach.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:00 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

Might try to install some garage door seal used on the bottom of the doors.
Old 05-02-2015, 09:55 AM   #8

I was shocked when I saw daylight the first time looking along the side wall of my slide out. I went outside and saw the the seals were there, but the floor had actually come loose from the walls and was drooping beneath the wall at the middle about a 1/2" (I could get the tips of my fingers up through it into the trailer). I contacted the dealer and talked to the service manager who, of course had never seen anything like it. He said if I wanted to bring it in they would look at it, but to be honest with me he doubted there was anything they could do. He suggested I get some of that foam that swells up when you spray it. The FLOOR is falling down. I called FR for 3 days until I finally got a knowledgeable engineer on the line who suggested I buy about 12 small steel "L" brackets packaged with four screws for each. He then suggested I jack the floor up until it was even with the wall, and fasten the brackets side to bottom, using a straight edge to make sure the floor was completely level with the wall. (I pulled up the black rubber/vinyl cover and screwed the brackets in under that so they weren't exposed.)
I ran a heavy bead of outdoor silicone adhesive before fastening them.

As I was doing this, I came across several light gauge staples that had pulled loose allowing the floor to drop down. I went back to HD and bought more brackets and fastened them all the way around. Then I ran another heavy bead of silicone under the rubber/vinyl edge that drops down and staked up a horizontal 2x4 all the way around until the adhesive set. Now I feel no draft and can see no light. It really bothers me that assemblers tacked that floor in with a staple gun. But the service manager at the dealership where I bought it new just assured himself that he will never get another dime from me.
Moved from a 2,000 SF home into a 2014 Puma, about 260 SF. On two acres. We brought in power, water, and installed septic system. We've been here a year now, my wife, myself, and an 80lb female Weim named Daisy. We can barely see our nearest neighbor, one of two.
Sirwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:23 AM   #9

I contacted my dealer on another issue last week and discussed these seals. It seems the tech staff didn't quite understand what my problem with the seal was. I got those pictures taken with my phone and showed them to the service rep. They forwarded them to FR themselves to get some clarity on this issue and what to do about it. We'll see what they come up with.

In case some of you aren't sure what I'm talking about, I've attached 3 photos. One is from the inside looking out under the sofa section of the slide. You can clearly see the daylight and this drew my attention to the seal. One is an up close view under the slide track from outside. That brown you see is the bottom of the kitchen cabinet on the opposite side of the coach. The last was from back at the edge of the slide looking down the track. It shows the outside of the coach body and the bottom edge of the opening. The only seal there is the gasket that seals the opening when the slide is closed.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1431346973.897146.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	76658Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1431346988.077143.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	76659Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1431347000.202649.jpg
Views:	629
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	76660
Old 05-11-2015, 09:06 PM   #10

I have been thinking about trying something like this. The brushes come in different lengths. Why FR does not do something like this, ??
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1431396385.679844.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	76741

Old 05-11-2015, 09:06 PM   #11

Having a similar problem as we are in Wyoming and had a Spring snowstorm! I could feel the cold wind under the sofa and could see daylight at the front of the slide! We stuffed the area with blankets for now but will get pool noodles tomorrow. Do you leave them there when you close the slide? Is there any fix advised by Forest River or B. Clemens? Thanks for any help.
Yorkranchgalnguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:23 PM   #12

No I remove the noodles and store them in the storage compartment. We also use draft snakes in front of the sofa when it gets chilly.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:10 PM   #13

Our 3170ds is the same way. The rubber gaskets cut for all the mechanics leave gaps so air comes in under the couch. I will try the pool noodles. I usually carry bug spray and put some under the slides when we camp.

I think I solved the air coming in under the couch when driving. The bottom exterior outside has no seal like the sides and the top, so I purchased some sticky back weather seal so when the slide is closed, hopefully no air comes in while going down the road.

MzZorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 01:19 PM   #14

I had a wider gasket install on my closet slide it closes it off very good and fits tight.

gtony2
gtony2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 10:01 AM   #15

I just picked up my 2015 3170 and it has a gasket running the length of the slide underbelly. Tight fitting notches have been cut out for the slide rails. Obviously I havent cold camped in it since we just picked it up last week so I can't speak to how well it seals but it appears as well constructed as the side seals. I will post pictures later today, but from comparing your pictures to what i have installed you are definitely missing the lower seal.
Kiya75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 10:23 AM   #16

The seal or gasket around the slide opening is in place and appears to function properly when the slide is closed up against the coach body. It's hard to see in the picture I posted. If you notice the flap that seals along the bottom of the slide when it is open, on my 3010 there is a notch cut out for each of the two rails. If the flap is still there it's laying down inside. Monday will be two weeks since I sent all the pictures to the dealer. I haven't heard back yet. I suppose I'll be making another call.
Old 05-16-2015, 05:29 PM   #17

Ok i think i see what you mean now. For what its worth below is what the seals look like on my 3170. They seam to seal well with only small gaps around the rails.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1431815364187.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	77134   Click image for larger version

Name:	1431815383485.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	77135  
Kiya75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 07:30 PM   #18

I see that you do have a piece of the seal flap in place at the center of the rail. Both still have that space on either side of the rail. I may be nit-picking but I think a good seal is necessary. My generator is just forward of the slide and I'm concerned about exhaust entering the coach when we need to use it. I may have to go the route of trying the brush seals that Garrette suggested. At the very least, the foam noodles will have to be the order of the day. I'll know more when I get in touch with my dealer this coming week.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:28 PM   #19

I have a 2801QS with the same problem at the bottom corner of the slides. may try pool noodles but afraid I will forget to remove them when closing the slide.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out