Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2013, 07:04 PM   #1

Slide Out Won't Go Back In

Hi everyone,

I have a Forest River Sunseeker 2004 3100 SS where the slide went out with no problem (no strange noise or odd behavior) but will not go back in at all. When I click the "In" button, I hear a click where the actuator under the jack-knife sofa is.

Here's what I checked:
1. My camper is level.
2. There are no fuses blown or tripped in the fuse panel under the bed.
3. There are two fuses near my batteries (a 25amp and a 5amp neither of which are blown).
4. My batteries are charged and I am plugged into shore power (still at my house).
5. I found the slide motor under the jack-knife sofa (behind the driver seat) and all the wires appear in good condition but there is not a fuse in that area.

Here's what I'd like to know from someone that has a Forest River Sunseeker:
1. Where is the manual crank? I looked in my driver side storage compartments but couldn't find what looked like a "crank hole" and I cannot find it around the jack-knife sofa or outside of the slide (under or on either side).
2. Where is the manual crank rod (I am not sure I have one but am curious as to where it should be).
3. Should there be (or is there) a fuse near the slide motor that I am not seeing?
4. I am convinced that it is a blown fuse that I am unable to find but I am open to any other ideas.
Thanks.
MikeInColo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:14 PM   #2

Don't know if this will help or not but... I have a 2013 3100. Had the same problem actually. The manual crank in spot on mine is on the drivers side, storage compartment, in the ceiling (of the storage compartment). Looks like a tunnel with a bolt. Just uses a normal socket wrench (can't remember the size) rather than a specific tool. Hopefully that helps for your 2004. I ran through the same checks and also found nothing wrong. Dealer checked it over and found nothing wrong. I think it basically fixed itself by manually cranking it in. Not sure how or why but that's apparently what happened.
'94 Coleman Cedar Pop Up
paulmlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:17 PM   #3
aka Windjammer2012

Mike,
I know this sounds like a dumb response but do you have the slide out locks removed? I have fogotten to remove mine once or twice. If you hear a click, the electronics should be ok. No voltage=no click. Not familiar with your model to answer your other questions about the manual crank.

2012 Windjammer 3008W
2004 GMC 2500 HD CC Longbed
Crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:50 PM   #4

On a 2004 it should look similar to this,

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1191008813.jpg
Views:	1241
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	35360

If you look closely there is a inline fuse in a black holder.
Also check to make sure that your motor is spinning or not. If it is spinning and not turning the main drive gear you sheared off your half moon key.
One last thing, I don't think there is a manual crank. See the big silver lug nut looking thing in the center? It kind of acts as a gear engagement, if you turn it to the left it should disengage so you can push it in by hand. Once in turn it back to lock it. When mine broke I still used a strap to make sure it didn't slide out while driving.

Hope that helps
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:47 AM   #5

Thanks for the responses.

paulmlac, I've looked in my storage compartments because I read in another post that sometimes the crank is located there--no luck.
WindJammer2012, my RV has never had any slide locks so I doubt that is the issue but I appreciate the input.

Thanks for the picture MotocrossCamper, that sheds some light on the issue. My setup isn't exactly like yours and I am unable to find that lug nut. The motor is not turning, I am hearing a click when I push the Glide In (or Out) button for the slide. I have attached a couple pictures (maybe I'm not seeing it).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00407C.jpg
Views:	1556
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	35403   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00411C.jpg
Views:	625
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	35404  
Old 07-15-2013, 10:03 AM   #6

It's no wonder we have so many problems we need solved. You would think a RV made by the same manufacturer in the same model year would have pretty much the same equipment. I can't blow up your pictures because I have bad service right now, but from what I can see it looks completely different.
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:34 PM   #7

I found the website of the Power Gear company that supplied my slide out and thought I would share in case somebody else runs across this problem. According to the troubleshooting guide, I should have an "override coupler" on the end of the shaft that drives the slide (I don't see it on the end that is accessible--maybe somebody put it in backwards so the coupler is on the other end that I am unable to access).

FAQ: Slideout Systems - Power Gear
Old 07-15-2013, 03:46 PM   #8

In the top pic there is a gold looking post with a hole in the side. Isnt that the manual crank?

2017 Ford F350 CCSB
Mods and Pics
BurgPath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:34 PM   #9

I agree with the gold post idea. Looks a lot like what I had on a travel trailer stabilizer Jack.
osgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:38 PM   #10

Never be afraid to state the obvious! It never occurred to me to use that gold post to turn. I will release the electric motor brake and try that!

Thanks.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:38 PM   #11

At worst turning the square bar would work. Take FOREVER but should work.

2017 Ford F350 CCSB
Mods and Pics
BurgPath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:44 AM   #12

I figured out a workaround for this issue. I read in the Power Gear troubleshooting website that to test whether the motor is working, wire it directly to a 12v power source. I did this and was able to pull the slide in (or out by reversing the polarity). This will be a temporary workaround for us on our camping trip.

I believe that the Power Gear Slide Out Controller is faulty and will need to order a new one ($130).

I also tried manually turning the rod but was unable to move it (tried with the motor brake on/off). This is concerning as I am unable to "manually" move the slide to my RV. If the slide motor ever craps out, I am in deep trouble.

Thanks to everyone for you input, I really appreciate it!