Old 03-06-2018, 06:27 PM   #1

Slide won’t work on 2003 sun-seeker 3100

My slide out will not operate even though we’re plugged into shore power at the campground. I bought this RV from my late brothers wife so I didn’t get much info with it. Is there a fuse or a manual crank so I can open it up while we’re here? I can see that the battery cables on the RV batteries are corroded but don’t have many tools to clean them up. Another thing is that we use to hear a fan under the bed (converter/inverter?) running sometimes but dont hear it anymore. Meanwhile, I’ll try to find something to clean the cables. Thanks for any info!

hingeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 07:21 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hingeman View Post
My slide out will not operate even though we’re plugged into shore power at the campground. I bought this RV from my late brothers wife so I didn’t get much info with it. Is there a fuse or a manual crank so I can open it up while we’re here? I can see that the battery cables on the RV batteries are corroded but don’t have many tools to clean them up. Another thing is that we use to hear a fan under the bed (converter/inverter?) running sometimes but dont hear it anymore. Meanwhile, I’ll try to find something to clean the cables. Thanks for any info!
The more info you can post, the easier it is to get help. 2003 is antique for an RV. So 1st shot in the dark: Are your house batteries fully charged? A voltage reading is helpful.
Your Converter has a fan that cools the power supply that charges your batteries and runs your 12Volt system. If you turn on all the lights it should come on. Speaking of lights, do they work without shore power?
Are they nice and bright?

Edit: Yes there are fuses an breakers in your power supply panel. Sounds like it may be under the bed. The slide is 12v so look for a fuse. The breakers are for 120v.
To Be Con

Old 03-06-2018, 07:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
The more info you can post, the easier it is to get help. 2003 is antique for an RV. So 1st shot in the dark: Are your house batteries fully charged? A voltage reading is helpful.
Your Converter has a fan that cools the power supply that charges your batteries and runs your 12Volt system. If you turn on all the lights it should come on. Speaking of lights, do they work without shore power?
Are they nice and bright?

Edit: Yes there are fuses an breakers in your power supply panel. Sounds like it may be under the bed. The slide is 12v so look for a fuse. The breakers are for 120v.
To Be Con
No they are not that bright. In fact, when the 12 v is switched on, they sorta shut of every 10 seconds or so. I thought by plugging into shore power it would make up for bad batteries. I’ve got a lot to learn with no manual. The batteries must be low but is it the converter or the batteries or both? Everything else (TVs, fans, microwave, lights) seem to work ok on shore power. I’m confused! In the meantime, I’ll go test the battery voltage. Thanks
Old 03-06-2018, 08:29 PM   #4

Well, I just checked the batteries and they barely have any voltage at all. Why does everything else work on shore power but not the slide? So. Is there a manual place to crank it out?
Old 03-06-2018, 09:02 PM   #5

Just reset all the breakers and checked the fuses and all are ok but the converter fan still doesn’t come on with lights and tv on.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:02 AM   #6

Think of it this way. There are two electrical systems in your RV. A 12V system that operates your lights, slide out, exhaust fans, water pump, LP gas detector, radio, (TV if it is 12v), furnace and ignition functions on your fridge and water heater.
Your 120v system operates your Converter which in turn will charge your 12v house batteries, Air Conditioner, Microwave, Refrigerator, Electrical Outlets, Water Heater if equiped with 120v element and TV/Entertainment system if they are 120v.
Your chassis is 100% 12v Ford and has nothing*to do with the coach system(s).

It is very possible that your slideout will work if you correct your battery issue.

As for your slide out emergeny operation question: Dont know what kind of slide out you have or who makes it. 2003 really throws this question into a different category. Sorry, just not enough info to venture a guess. Hope you can find a current or previous owner to help you.

Edit: Found a link that might help you; Slide Out Won't Go Back In
Old 03-07-2018, 12:19 PM   #7
Empty Nesters

Quote:
Originally Posted by hingeman View Post
Well, I just checked the batteries and they barely have any voltage at all. Why does everything else work on shore power but not the slide? So. Is there a manual place to crank it out?
I think that your dead batteries are pulling down your converter and maybe even shutting it down. You probably have a shorted cell and that could draw way too much current for your converter. You really need to get those batteries out of there. At least disconnect them until you get a new battery.

Just a thought and I'm not sure if this would work...disconnect your dead coach batteries and jump your engine battery to the coach. That should get you enough juice to operate your slide. Just don't run your engine battery down to the point that you can't start your engine!
Old 03-07-2018, 01:32 PM   #8

Our 2011 Sunseeker 3100 has a manual slide crank point. It's a hex head on a shaft that is accessible from the compartment below the slide. Look at the top of the compartment liner for a hole about 3/4 inches in diameter. Put a socket on the hex and turn it to run the slide in or out. Unlike some slide drives, there nothing that has to be released to be able to crank it. I tried it once and it turned easily with a 3/8 inch ratchet.

You may have a battery booster switch that ties the chassis 12 volt system to the coach 12 volt system. Ours has a switch on the side of the driver's set. Start the engine and hold the switch down. That should give you 12 volts to the coach even with dead batteries or a weak convertor, allowing someone to operate the slide switch to "In" or "Out" while you hold the switch down. There's an automatic controller that ties the coach and chassis 12 volt systems together when one is operating and the other is not. It allows the coach system to charge the chassis battery, and the chassis alternator to provide 12 volts to the coach when you are driving. The controller only connects the two systems if there is enough voltage on the side that is operating, preventing one from draining the other's battery, or batteries. The switch on the driver's seat engages this system for temporary use regardless of the states of charge.

If you are new to RV's, look in the library of this forum for articles on the 12 volt system. Someone may post links to useful articles. Sorry, but I don't have time to look any up right now.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 01:49 PM   #9

Thanks “duckogram” and “ken and carol” for the help. Unfortunately, I’m on my own as far as contacting the previous owner because my older brother passed away last September. He did have a lot of the owners manuals for different appliances but nothing on the slide out. Fortunately, this was just a quick local trip and we’re pulling out today. It was still a fun trip but just a little cramped which is not the end of the world! First thing is batteries! We’ve been out 3 different trips for a week at a time and all was well so we’re off to a good start. It’s awesome to have access to “Forest River forums” and the helpful people here! Thanks again! Scott
RIP Big brother!
Old 03-07-2018, 01:59 PM   #10

Rambler guy, I just saw your reply and thanks so much to you as well! I knew the switch was an extra boost to start the truck but did not know that it works both ways. I’m more than than grateful for your detailed explanation. Very helpful people here! Thanks all!

Tags
slide