Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2014, 06:47 PM   #1

Slideout maintenance

Do the slideout tracks need occasional lubrication? What about the seals - do they need Armor All treatment?
black999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 07:30 PM   #2

Yes, and yes. I use a dry lubricant spray for the tracks and Armor All for the seals. They make seal conditioner for them, but I'm pretty sure it's exactly the same thing. The seals are just rubber weather strip type stuff. Twice a year is generally recommended at minimum.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by black999 View Post
Do the slideout tracks need occasional lubrication? What about the seals - do they need Armor All treatment?
You need to spray dry lube on your gears and shaft atleast 2 or 3 x's per year (Napa) also do your seals both inside and out. Do not use anything on the slide seals except 3 things that will work #303 lube, slide lube, or just plain " baby powder". Some people swear by it, I have never tried it. DO NOT USE ARMOR ALL. There is a chemical in the liquid that is bad for the seals. But that is just my opinion...Happy Camping...

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:04 PM   #4

Thanks guys!
black999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:15 PM   #5

I prolly messed up my tracks on my slides....before I was educated on lubes...I greased the crap outa my slide tracks. I guess time will tell. :-((

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 09:02 PM   #6
WFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
You need to spray dry lube on your gears and shaft atleast 2 or 3 x's per year (Napa) also do your seals both inside and out. Do not use anything on the slide seals except 3 things that will work #303 lube, slide lube, or just plain " baby powder". Some people swear by it, I have never tried it. DO NOT USE ARMOR ALL. There is a chemical in the liquid that is bad for the seals. But that is just my opinion...Happy Camping...
By 303 Lube, do you mean Aerospace 303 Protectant? Same stuff many recommend for protecting decals and some say on the tires.
Old 10-22-2014, 05:48 AM   #7

How does one grease the seals on top of the slide? Mine has canopies that would seem to prevent this.
Sun.ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 06:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFD View Post
By 303 Lube, do you mean Aerospace 303 Protectant? Same stuff many recommend for protecting decals and some say on the tires.
Yes that is the product, IMO the best stuff on the market... PS: works great on tires, Has a UV protector in it.

Old 10-22-2014, 06:15 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad.wiseman View Post
How does one grease the seals on top of the slide? Mine has canopies that would seem to prevent this.
If you mean slide toppers, it is a little harder. They have a new foam spray for slide out rubber. I just shoot it on half from one side and then half from the other side. You do not have to wipe it in. on the inside I just start to bring the slide in until the rubber starts to flip over. Then go on the outside and just run your hand down them pushing them in on the sides. Then spray the rubber, the top seal is a little harder. DO NOT FORGET THE SWEEP AT THE BOTTOM. I just open the slide and pull down the rubber buy hand and lube the inside then lube the outside. That's a important one, it stops water from entering from the wet roads.

Old 10-22-2014, 06:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad.wiseman View Post

The lube my dealers part manager sold me is for slide seals and it sprays out a couple of feet in a foam that quickly drys
I get up on a ladder and reach in and spray from both sides
'93 Coleman pop ups (I'm Dad)
'04 Fleetwood Jamboree 26q
'14 Sunseeker 2860DS
trdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 06:53 AM   #11

To answer the original post
Dealer sold me two products
The foam lube for seals mentioned above
An anti corrosion spray that comes out thick like spray grease and drys a light brown color that is used on gears and tracks
I'll get the name of the products they are in the unit at the dealer for other service
'93 Coleman pop ups (I'm Dad)
'04 Fleetwood Jamboree 26q
'14 Sunseeker 2860DS
trdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:24 AM   #12

Is there any brand of slide lube that works any better than another? Looking on amazon there are quite a few CRC, Liquid Wrench, PB Blaster, Camco, 3M, Thetford, Blue Works the list goes on or all they all about the same.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:42 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
Is there any brand of slide lube that works any better than another? Looking on amazon there are quite a few CRC, Liquid Wrench, PB Blaster, Camco, 3M, Thetford, Blue Works the list goes on or all they all about the same.
The best dry lube spray that I have found is graphite gray for your gears or CRC lithium white would be my second choice. You can't put any grease type or liquid due to it will attract dirt and then you could brake a gear tooth. Has to be a dry lube. I think the graphite works the best but cost the most per can but will last longer and seems to me makes a smoother ride when extending or retracting. the spray foam as mentioned above is good stuff for the rubber, I don't like the gear lube that RV stores sell. But that is just me and my own opinion.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:14 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
The best dry lube spray that I have found is graphite gray for your gears or CRC lithium white would be my second choice. You can't put any grease type or liquid due to it will attract dirt and then you could brake a gear tooth. Has to be a dry lube. I think the graphite works the best but cost the most per can but will last longer and seems to me makes a smoother ride when extending or retracting. the spray foam as mentioned above is good stuff for the rubber, I don't like the gear lube that RV stores sell. But that is just me and my own opinion.
I figured I would get the 303 for the seals and I can use it on other stuff can get a gallon of it for $40 off amazon Amazon.com: 303 (30320) Aerospace Protectant - 1 Gallon: Automotive and this for the slide gears CRC Dry Graphite Lube, 10 oz Aerosol Can, Black: Power Tool Lubricants: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
Old 10-22-2014, 11:56 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
I figured I would get the 303 for the seals and I can use it on other stuff can get a gallon of it for $40 off amazon Amazon.com: 303 (30320) Aerospace Protectant - 1 Gallon: Automotive and this for the slide gears CRC Dry Graphite Lube, 10 oz Aerosol Can, Black: Power Tool Lubricants: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
That is perfect for your unit, make sure you lube that sprocket and all 4 sides of the ram. That's cheap for a gal. of 303, that stuff works great. They were selling it at the Goshen Rally for 50.00. Last time I bought a gal. it was $65.00. They must have seen me coming.....

Tags
maintenance, slide, slide out