Old 11-29-2015, 06:20 PM   #1
Senior Junior Member

Slideout Trim Twist

When opening the slideouts so they are completely seated, the side trim that the seals attach to twist out to the point they appear damaged. I am not sure if this is normal or not, but it seems more rigid seal supports are necessary. Has anyone else noticed this?

Old 02-15-2016, 08:08 AM   #2
Senior Junior Member

Update

Well, the problem persisted to the point that the trim was pried off in places on both slides. The dealer ended up re-attaching the trim and removed the "D" seals on each side of each slide. The dealer had my unit for 3 weeks (by appointment) for this short repair. I am not sure if this was a solution recommended by FR or not, but the slides seal quite well with only the wall seal. I did have to remove a few staples and cut off some wire nails behind the trim though that the repair left behind. I plan on going a step further and add long screws thru the trim and backup plywood into the wall of the slide for a rigid attachment. I will evenly space the screws and use brown plastic snap caps for a pleasing appearance. Any more appearance type warranty issues I plan on doing myself from now on.

Old 02-16-2016, 04:38 PM   #3

I wondered about that on our 2250 as well. I thought about adding some stiff L brackets to the back of the facing trim & the slide casing to strengthen the facings. Perhaps I'll go ahead and do that before the facings decide to part company with the slide.

When we bought our previous MH, we found one without slides as we didn't want to deal with all the issues surrounding them. I thought that slides had matured a lot since their introduction many years ago to the point there wouldn't be issues like this, but from my own limited experience, and reading a lot about others experiences, I've started questioning my decision.

We sure like the smaller footprint the slide provides, however.

To try and ensure a trouble-free slide into the future, I've lubricated the tracks & gibs per Lippert's instructions. Not only that, I've cleaned all exterior surfaces as there was label stickies and some errant adhesive here and there, then sprayed all surfaces & seals with dry silicone. The slide floats in and out like a feather now... hope it is good insurance. A lot of slide issues come down to the lack of lubrication on both the gear track/cogs/bearings, and on the wiper seals.

Tags
slide, slide out