Old 10-28-2012, 04:51 PM   #1

Slideout Trouble

2013 Sunseeker 3100. This was a first. Was opening the slideout (at home fortunately). I got 99% opened. Wife came in camper door. I looked away & let off the slide switch. I then tried to hit slide switch again to finish opening but nothing happened. The slide wouldn't work at all to go in or out. All other electronics worked. I checked the fuse panel under the bed. Honestly didn't even see a fuse for the slide there (should there be one?). But all the fuses were OK. Ran generator. Slide still didn't work. Then started manually retracting. Tried the slide switch again when I had the slide in a couple inches & nothing happened. Finished manually retracting. Now the slide appears to work. I say appears because went I only ran it about a centimeter either way. Didn't want to tempt fate. Coincidentally dropping it by the dealer this week for other warranty stuff. Will mention this too. Any idea why it happened?

Old 10-28-2012, 05:48 PM   #2

paulmlac please let us know what you find out...... we picked up our 2013 Rockwood Windjammer 2809w about two months ago... I brought it home and on the second weekend on Saturday I went thru the entire process.... even pulled the slide-outs back in in the manual mode.... something I've learned you don't want to do in an emergency or when you're not expecting to have to do it..... practice makes perfect...

Old 10-28-2012, 08:16 PM   #3

What type of slide, is this the worm-gear style or the under slide type. I have both on mine so I might be able to help depending on the type.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmlac View Post
2013 Sunseeker 3100. This was a first. Was opening the slideout (at home fortunately). I got 99% opened. Wife came in camper door. I looked away & let off the slide switch. I then tried to hit slide switch again to finish opening but nothing happened. The slide wouldn't work at all to go in or out. All other electronics worked. I checked the fuse panel under the bed. Honestly didn't even see a fuse for the slide there (should there be one?). But all the fuses were OK. Ran generator. Slide still didn't work. Then started manually retracting. Tried the slide switch again when I had the slide in a couple inches & nothing happened. Finished manually retracting. Now the slide appears to work. I say appears because went I only ran it about a centimeter either way. Didn't want to tempt fate. Coincidentally dropping it by the dealer this week for other warranty stuff. Will mention this too. Any idea why it happened?
Since slides can draw more power than the converter can provide, the power supply will not be on the fuse panel. Slides usually have an inline resetable circuit breaker in the direct line to the battery, might be like 60 amp for one and located close to the battery.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:42 PM   #5
Coachmen Adrenaline

All slide fuses will be in the BCC, located on left side of the stepwell in class c's. The fuse for your slide should be located on the left side of the circuit board and will have a 20A resettable fuse.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:46 PM   #6

We have a new 2012 Sunseeker 3170DS, picked it up in the spring. A month or so ago, we heard an unusual noise when we put the front slide out. Looked around, didn't find anything. A couple days later we had a propane alarm, constantly. Took it to the dealer, they thought it was the detector. They changed out the detector. The leak continued. We finally thought we tracked it down to behind the stove or behind the main couch in the front slide. Took it back to the dealer. The bracket holding all the wiring and propane on the underside of the slide had broke off, drop the wires a little and the slide sliced the propane hose completely in two.

Okay, I am not mechanical in any way but to me, that is a major flaw. Why would you even put the propane hose on a moveable part such as a slide. And if there is a good answer to that, which there probably is for a mechanical person, why wouldn't you protect that hose a little better.

I hate to think what could have happen. Thank the Lord it didn't. I was already afraid of using the oven, (the old motorhome was 11 years old and I never used the oven once), but now we are using the heat pump to heat the trailer rather than turn the propane on. Hubby has tested it since we got it back but I insisted on being outside while he did.

2012 Sunseeker 3170ds
Toad: 2009 HHR
2009 150cc Scooters
Rene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene View Post
We have a new 2012 Sunseeker 3170DS, picked it up in the spring. A month or so ago, we heard an unusual noise when we put the front slide out. Looked around, didn't find anything. A couple days later we had a propane alarm, constantly. Took it to the dealer, they thought it was the detector. They changed out the detector. The leak continued. We finally thought we tracked it down to behind the stove or behind the main couch in the front slide. Took it back to the dealer. The bracket holding all the wiring and propane on the underside of the slide had broke off, drop the wires a little and the slide sliced the propane hose completely in two.

Okay, I am not mechanical in any way but to me, that is a major flaw. Why would you even put the propane hose on a moveable part such as a slide. And if there is a good answer to that, which there probably is for a mechanical person, why wouldn't you protect that hose a little better.

I hate to think what could have happen. Thank the Lord it didn't. I was already afraid of using the oven, (the old motorhome was 11 years old and I never used the oven once), but now we are using the heat pump to heat the trailer rather than turn the propane on. Hubby has tested it since we got it back but I insisted on being outside while he did.

This issue is a recall due out this month. A little late for you though.

NHTSA Campaign ID number : 12V458000

Summary:
Forest River, Inc., (Forest River) is recalling certain model year 2010-2013 Sunseeker 2860, 3120, 3170, Forester 2861, 3121, 3171, and Lexington 283 Class C motorhomes, manufactured from August 18, 2009, through September 12, 2012. The liquid propane gas (LPG) fuel line that supplies fuel to appliances in the slide out, can become damaged.
Consequence:
A damaged LPG fuel line can lead to an explosion and/or fire, increasing the risk of injury or death. Remedy:
Forest River will notify owners, and dealers will repair the affected vehicles free of charge. The recall is expected to begin during October 2012. Owners may contact Forest River at 1-574-206-7600.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:23 AM   #8

Propane Hose

Thanks ATVer, I'm so glad to hear they are recalling and fixing that problem so no one will be injured. Safe Camping.

2012 Sunseeker 3170ds
Toad: 2009 HHR
2009 150cc Scooters
Rene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:23 PM   #9

I've found Forest River to outstanding overall on responsiveness to issues.