Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2015, 12:59 PM   #1

Slidout Rubbers ???

Has anyone found a good way to assure that the slid out rubbers flip over when they put slid out ???
I have been using a wooden yard stick to flip rubber over,,, I have noticed the slid out in the rear is never a problem,,, because the window frame makes the rubber turn into the right position...
I am thinking of trying some rubber weather stripping on the side of the slid out,,, to see if that would cause the rubber to flip over,,, into the position it needs to be in !!! Any Great Idea's !!!

Also I am thinking maybe some one waxed the sides of ours,,,
Making the problem worse ???
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 05:29 PM   #2

I had problems when my camper was new. I sprayed some of this on the outside and worked it on the back side and inner seals as well. Since then they flip as designed. The first time I applied it was a BEAR! Now it's much easier and I apply every couple months.

Protect All 40015 Slide-Out Rubber Seal - 17 oz. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0027MBE9U..._RhJ4vb1E7JQ48

2013 Toyota Tundra 5.7L
2015 Apex 288BHS
UmptySquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 05:35 PM   #3
clr

At the FROG rally the mfr of the slide seals says that the fix is to stick a small square of a patch type material to the top of the slide wall and this will start the flipping of the slide seal. Not sure where to secure this patch but I am sure contacting the mfr would do the trick.
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 07:23 AM   #4

Thanks Guys,,,
I use a rubber Protectant a couple of times a year,,, that does not seam to make seals flip,,, never had this problem with our old Flagstaff TT,,, different seals !!! I do believe the trick is to have some thing to make them flip,,, like the window does in the rear !!! I also as I said believe someone waxed the sides,,, they are very slippery !!! No friction to help the seals to flip !!!
Old 08-30-2015, 07:34 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
Thanks Guys,,,
I use a rubber Protectant a couple of times a year,,, that does not seam to make seals flip,,, never had this problem with our old Flagstaff TT,,, different seals !!! I do believe the trick is to have some thing to make them flip,,, like the window does in the rear !!! I also as I said believe someone waxed the sides,,, they are very slippery !!! No friction to help the seals to flip !!!
I am going to try a stick on weather seal to help the rubber grab onto something and flip

2015 Coachmen Prism 24J MBS
USN-R '01-present
MarsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 07:47 AM   #6
Citrus County, Fl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr View Post
At the FROG rally the mfr of the slide seals says that the fix is to stick a small square of a patch type material to the top of the slide wall and this will start the flipping of the slide seal. Not sure where to secure this patch but I am sure contacting the mfr would do the trick.
Please let us know when you find out. The front slide on our 3011 does this at the top.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 08:52 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsMan View Post
I am going to try a stick on weather seal to help the rubber grab onto something and flip
I think I am going to try a Good quality stick on weather striping and see if it works,,, I used to use a very good one that was white,,, the sides of our slid outs as I said are very slippery,,, so I will probably have to clean them with something first,,, something that would remove wax,,,
maybe SD 20 ???
Old 09-02-2015, 07:08 PM   #8

Same issue with Silverback 5er. I was told by a service tech to apply a rubber lubricant on them ( both sides). I did a small area where top seal meets side seal and was popping and pulling Eternabond factory tape up. Only pulled slides in when I left rv. Need to do all. Always something with these " toys " 😁. Still cheaper than BOATING with live aboard cruisers!!
Never had to have a DIVER clean my rv bottom😅.
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 09:30 PM   #9
WFD

Quote:
Thanks Guys,,,
I think you may be on to something about the wax...I applied Aerospace 303 to our rubber seals as many here have suggested, and since then, they don't flip. Like you say, seems to be too slippery now for them to grab so to speak.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:31 AM   #10

I had that problem on my MH, tech from dealer said it was because my slide was crooked, checked the spacing and he was right. Had to be adjusted.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Mike001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 07:22 AM   #11

I bough some foam weather striping yesterday,,,
Will try it next we open the slides,,, will report back !!!
Old 09-03-2015, 09:23 PM   #12

My rubber seal sticks in the middle on top of slide 3050s only about 2 feet sticks very interested if someone finds a cure had not noticed until yesterday when washing under slide awning on top of slide
Old 09-03-2015, 10:11 PM   #13

Camco Non-Slip Grip Tape can be bought on Amazon. 2 six inch pieces on top and each side of all slides will solve the problem. Space it about 18" in from the corners and center it on the slide. When the seal passes over the tape it will flip it over so that it can do its job.
Travel safe

I Catch Fish......What is your SuperPower?
FordHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 10:16 PM   #14
Just a member

Quote:
Any Great Idea's !!!
Baby powder. Seriously, it does work.

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 07:08 AM   #15

Slidout Rubbers ???

I am anal about slide care
I clean mine regularly and use the seal conditioner foam and slide gear anti corrosive spray
I purposely wax my sides so cleaning is easier
Slide operation is a two man job with us to prevent accidents and stop a malfunction from blockage or debris
3of my seals flip and one is stubborn
I "help" that one buy having the switch girl stop and I run my fingers under the seal to "help it"
My main concern with this process is when they are retracted cause I can't reach some of them when In the coach
Outside?no big deal I make sure they are flipped after full extension
I do like the idea of a fabric patch applied near the top for a hard to reach areas
I regularly clean the tops under the toppers
Remember,when slids are "in" they don't disappear,they live in your "home" and I don't want dirty grimy slides in my clean house
'93 Coleman pop ups (I'm Dad)
'04 Fleetwood Jamboree 26q
'14 Sunseeker 2860DS
trdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 08:00 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordHauler View Post
Camco Non-Slip Grip Tape can be bought on Amazon. 2 six inch pieces on top and each side of all slides will solve the problem. Space it about 18" in from the corners and center it on the slide. When the seal passes over the tape it will flip it over so that it can do its job.
Travel safe
That looks to be a good idea,,, I am sure that Grip Tape would out last my foam weather stripping !!! But I already bought the weather stripping,,, so guess I will give it a try !!! Hopefully it will stick !!! Plan to clean sides first with SD 20 first,,, And I guess I better get out a ladder,,, and see what is going on,,, on top ???
Thanks for the Idea !!!
Old 09-04-2015, 09:19 AM   #17

I also have the same problem with the rubber seals on the driver side. Sounds like a number of great ideas will have to give them a try. Thanks
jjfmd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 09:23 PM   #18

I think I am going to try some Velcro using the brush like side as it should last a good while without wearing the slide seal very much and I already have some
Old 09-04-2015, 09:47 PM   #19
WFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandl View Post
Baby powder. Seriously, it does work.
Till it rains or you wash it.
Old 09-05-2015, 01:17 AM   #20
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFD View Post
Till it rains or you wash it.
Yep, gotta reapply to the babies after you wash them too.

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote