Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2015, 09:20 PM   #1

Slow gas fill on Chevy 2300

I now have a problem of the Sunseeker Chevy 2300 not taking gasoline at anything other than slow flow. It was not like that in the beginning. I have not had time to crawl under and look at the fill hose. Has anyone else had this problem on their Chevy based Sunseeker?
Old 07-29-2015, 09:44 PM   #2

I had this problem with a 3500 GMC. They had to put in a new tank. It was under warrantee.
2014 RZR XP 1000
Days Camped in '18- 106
Days Camped in ‘19- 23
Tucson Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:49 PM   #3

Had this similar problem, it would fill slow and if I tried to fill the normal speed, it would keep popping like it was full. It ended up being an evap canister which allows the fumes to dissipate when filling the tank. The evap canister module itself had a clog in it and that's what it was. It did eventually end up throwing a check engine light so I was able to track it that way. If yours isn't throwing a code, it's a possibility that it's NOT emissions related.
Old 07-30-2015, 06:37 AM   #4

Last two times at the pump I started having a "slow only" fuel fill
Ford 2860
I'm going to try a different station but the slow fueling was two different pumps
I'm over one year
Anybody know if this is still a warranty item if it is in fact a tank or evap canister?
'93 Coleman pop ups (I'm Dad)
'04 Fleetwood Jamboree 26q
'14 Sunseeker 2860DS
trdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 07:39 AM   #5

Ford chassis warranty is 3 year 36,000 miles.
I beleive GM has the same chassis warranty.
Kevin & Judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 08:05 AM   #6

I learned that if you fill your tank slowly rather than the express or fill fast, you will get more fuel into your tank instead of more vapors, you would save some money too maybe about $1 or so. And also helps if you can do it in the mornings where ambient temperature is cooler.
Days camped in 2015-18, 0 Days so far
Days camped in 2019, (8)
This Space for Rent
Night Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 12:40 PM   #7

This dose not sound right to me? the evap canister is there to remove the vapors while fueling. seems when I go to a station with my gas light on it takes 16 gal's the amount the tank can hold. I also don't understand how you would save money? can someone explane this to me?
j free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 12:49 PM   #8

Our 2300 is a slow fill as well. Other than it being a pain, I haven't thought much about it. It does fill completely and gets great fuel economy.
DocsDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 01:29 PM   #9

Also have a Chevy 4500 chassis Sunseeker 2300, 2013 model, and several other GM vehicles. All seem to be slower than I would like when filling. Buick Lucerne does the best. 2007 GMC 2500HD Duramax the worst. The Sunseeker 2300 is kind of in the middle. The Buick is the only vehicle for which I can use the pump's fuel latch, even on the least fuel rate. That said, I still finish faster than the Ford Chassis as less fuel is required.
RubberNail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 01:51 PM   #10
DnJ

I had a similar problem with a Ford F-250. The dealer said there was nothing wrong, but few weeks later the tank over pressurized and blow off the gas line. The fire destroyed the truck. Of course, Ford refused any responsibility. This can be a serious problem, so please get it checked out.
DnJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 03:30 PM   #11

My concern (like was mentioned in the OP),is that up until 2weeks ago I could use full speed latch and now I squeeze just barely and it clicks off
Took me 10 minutes To put $15 in and then gave up cause that took me above quarter tank for storage (gen use)
I thought the pumps were the problem then I read this topic so something changed.
I have heard that fueling slowly will get you more gas for the money cause the pumps can be calibrated off a little at high flow but what I'm talking about here is almost the inability to fuel the coach
'93 Coleman pop ups (I'm Dad)
'04 Fleetwood Jamboree 26q
'14 Sunseeker 2860DS
trdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 03:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by j free View Post
This dose not sound right to me? the evap canister is there to remove the vapors while fueling. seems when I go to a station with my gas light on it takes 16 gal's the amount the tank can hold. I also don't understand how you would save money? can someone explane this to me?
I got the info from a tech who works in the refineries who operates the fluid flows on pipelines.

What the vapors are doing is pressuring the tanks and thus creating the illusion your tank is full from sensors. I actually tried this with my work Truck to see if I get more fuel in the tank. My work Truck is a 2012 ford f150. I get approximately an extra 5-10 miles readout until empty on my dash. As far as I know it works and started doing this with my personally vehicles. I'll see if I can find the article.

Here is the article http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/aut...umping_gas.htm
Days camped in 2015-18, 0 Days so far
Days camped in 2019, (8)
This Space for Rent
Night Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 11:21 AM   #13

I have the 2014 chevy 2500TS and it has always filled real slow, sometimes it depends on the pump. I have used lots of different ones. I have taken to looking on the dash readout for gas used and keep filling until I reach that number. The dash readout seems to be very accurate. Sometimes it takes many tries of it clicking off to get there. I do think the tank is not vented adequately to fill it fast.
To the people who think they get more fuel at a slower speed, you do but you are paying for it. The extra miles on the range simply means you filled the tank fuller with more gas.
TSman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 06:19 PM   #14

gas tank pressure

I just got back on Monday from a 6000 mile trip cross country and love my new forest river forester 2301 motorhome. great gas mileage and performance from my v8 vortec 6.0 chevy engine. Had some problems with slow filling and in California around san diego couldn't get the gas to flow at all and couldn't get the nozzle in the gas inflow. however we got back to phoenix and on the way stopped in the white mountains at 7000 feet to refill the gas tank. Drove down the mountain and it was 110 degrees so 2 days later went back up to 5000 feet for a few days. When we got there I thought I would top off the 1/2 full tank and when I took off the gas cap I was sprayed from head to foot with gas! imagine my surprise! the forse of the pressure was so high that even after 10 minutes I could not refuel. Went to an auto parts store and they had never heard of a problem like mine but suggested a new cap with a button to slowly release pressure. about a 1/2 hour had transpired so standing off to the side I attempted to remove the cap to replace it with the new vented cap even though I knew this would not be a fix but would be a safer way to relieve the pressure. This time a substantial amount of gas actually shot out of the 1/2 full tank! I put the new cap and and drove to a nearby camp site and stayed the 2 days and without fueling drove it back down to phoenix. when I got home I took off the cap and had no pressure released and went to the gas station and filled with no problem. I called and made an apt with chevy dealer for Monday and when I spoke with the service manager he had no clue about what it could be I will bring the post from DnJ from 7/30 with me. Any other ideas? I thought maybe the heat down here with a 1/2 full tank and the drive to high elevation but is that really a possibility after over 100 years of building cars-so unsafe to ever happen!
Photini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 03:14 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Stone View Post
I got the info from a tech who works in the refineries who operates the fluid flows on pipelines.

What the vapors are doing is pressuring the tanks and thus creating the illusion your tank is full from sensors. I actually tried this with my work Truck to see if I get more fuel in the tank. My work Truck is a 2012 ford f150. I get approximately an extra 5-10 miles readout until empty on my dash. As far as I know it works and started doing this with my personally vehicles. I'll see if I can find the article.

Here is the article Tips on Pumping Gas - Urban Legends
Read the full article. It is a URBAN LEGEND and full of falsehoods. See the DETAIL section at the bottom. These "tips" came out years ago (2007?) in a viral email, and have been falsified dozens of times by lots of experts. (I think even the MythBusters did a show on it.) You can't save any fuel with these tips..
Jim Schings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 06:45 PM   #16

OP here. The problem went away after the RV sat for several months. I used to top off when fueling. Now i don't. So maybe it was the vapor canister getting liquid into it when I was topping off.
Old 01-22-2016, 07:02 PM   #17

Most likely, and you are lucky if you don't have to replace your vapor canister, which can be costly.

http://www.freep.com/story/life/2015...ment/29269833/

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R

Tags
gas