Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2015, 09:36 AM   #21

If you hit the test button on the 2 different alarms you may find they sound different and then be able to determine if it's smoke detector or co2/propane detector. I don't have a Motorhome but the do sound different in my trailer.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:18 AM   #22

In my TT the CO detector was on the ceiling in the bedroom. Your description of the alarm going off when traveling at low speeds and talking to a person in a car with window open makes me think it is the CO detector. It is doing its job by telling you taht you have elevated CO in your unit. Do you drive with a window open? If so at slow speeds exhaust fumes could be entering the unit. As stated CO is an odorless invisible gas that can kill.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 01:11 PM   #23

Alarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFD View Post
Your CO alarm lights will be green when all is well, and be solid red or a series of red lights if it is in alarm mode. CO/LP gas detector will be low to the ground normally, sometimes close to the door in motorhomes or closeby the fuse panel, can't really miss it...it's a white rectangular box normally...approx 3"x6".
In our 29RE the unit is mounted close to floor next to fuse panel near the door....It is fused from the 12 volt fuse strip on the RH side of panel...Also mine has an additional fuse wired across the back of the unit....Do not know what that is for...Asked dealer and no one knew the answer and FR could not answer....SOOOOOOOOOO check fuses....J
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 02:14 PM   #24

Do you have another alarm mounted on the ceiling that looks like a smoke detector? We had 3 different units in our TT. We have a smoke detector in the living room area (mounted on the ceiling), we had a CO detector in the bedroom (mounted on the ceiling) and a LP detector mounted near the floor.
Old 02-09-2015, 02:19 PM   #25

I thought the co detector went off because of lack of oxygen and LP gas was leaking you would smell it lp gas goes to the floor it is heavier than air almost could not go undetected long enough to have lack of air if anyone is around
Old 02-09-2015, 02:27 PM   #26

The OP is saying that the alarm was going off when stopped beside a car with his window down and when he is driving slowly leaving the CG. He could be getting exhaust fumes entering the unit and setting off the alarm. The alarm should activate before the air is so thin that it could cause you to pass out. The unit will detect the CO in the trailer or MH if present. The better units will have a read out showing you what percentage of CO there is in the air. We have upgraded our to the readout type.
Old 02-09-2015, 02:33 PM   #27

Alarms

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
Do you have another alarm mounted on the ceiling that looks like a smoke detector? We had 3 different units in our TT. We have a smoke detector in the living room area (mounted on the ceiling), we had a CO detector in the bedroom (mounted on the ceiling) and a LP detector mounted near the floor.
In our 5er there is a CO alarm mounted on the wall in BRm to the left of the door frame....Smoke alarm on ceiling over steps and Alarm beside fuse panel near floor....J
Old 02-09-2015, 05:24 PM   #28

Just bought a new CO/LP detector(haven't even opened the box). The OEM had to be replaced because I couldn't get it to stay off alarm mode. Of course these things usually sound off at 2:00 am! Mine is wired in with the refrigerator, so turning off the breaker or pulling the fuse was not an option. The original was so sensitive that it would alarm when I would spray WD40 outside. The first time I experienced these alarms, years ago, it went off at 2:00 am when there was no gas bottle turned on and with using everything on electric. Never did figure that one out. But a low battery is an instant trigger to set it off. I even have a name for it but I'll refrain from using it here.
I've read many stories lately of people being found dead in their trailers possibly due to carbon monoxide poisoning. These detectors are not cheap but I have a lot invested in ME, and I want to live a little bit longer.
Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Nights camped 2018 = 3
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 07:30 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakazi View Post
Sorry for two posts in one night but forget this annoying problem. After purchasing 2013 3010ds and driving it home, while pulling up to our house at slow speed, the smoke alarm went off and we could not figure out why nor how to shut it up. This happened on three occasions during our first weekend camping trip plus it happened on the way home while in the campground. Any ideas? Should we cut the wires to these annoying devices or is there a reason this happens. Again, thanks for any help.
Pull the batteries
Dick,
dicky1243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:14 PM   #30

Check and see if it isthe co detector. If it is and it wont stop it could be faulty. Also their is a shelf life of approx 5 yrs for co detectors,not sure on smoke detectors. Our co detector was going off when stored over the winter. After some checking out we founnd out it wasnt working anymore and had to purchase a new one. It fixed the problem.

Kim & Randy Holmes
2016 F350 Turbo Diesel FX4
2014 Palomino Sabre 33 CKTS
(2012: 10); (2013: 17); (2014: 33); (2015: 43);
(2016: 37); (2017: 69); (2018: 90); (2019: 109); (2020: 110)
kholmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:23 PM   #31
WFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by kholmes View Post
Check and see if it isthe co detector. If it is and it wont stop it could be faulty. Also their is a shelf life of approx 5 yrs for co detectors,not sure on smoke detectors. Our co detector was going off when stored over the winter. After some checking out we founnd out it wasnt working anymore and had to purchase a new one. It fixed the problem.
OP's rig is a 2013...so shouldn't have reached shelf life yet, but stranger things have happened, so could be.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:16 AM   #32

Thumbs up CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kholmes View Post
A CO detector will drain your main 12v battery if your unit is not plugged into a 110 volt source......They are designed to "beep continuously" once the main battery drops to a low voltage... Had this problem....Now I "de-fuse" the CO if I am storing my unit longer than one week without power....J
Old 02-10-2015, 10:54 AM   #33

Suggest wally world and pick up a Kidde KN-COPP-B-LPM Battery-Operated Carbon Monoxide Alarm with Digital Display. I have one in my wood shop and this would validate your CO concerns. About $27.
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 11:28 AM   #34

The CO in out trailer is battery operated and not wired into the 12 volt system. The LP detector is hardwired into the 12 volt system.
Old 02-10-2015, 11:51 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Halifax View Post
A CO detector will drain your main 12v battery if your unit is not plugged into a 110 volt source......They are designed to "beep continuously" once the main battery drops to a low voltage... Had this problem....Now I "de-fuse" the CO if I am storing my unit longer than one week without power....J
I put in a SPST switch to control it when I do not use the trailer I just shut it off, did the same thing to Concertone system...

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 06:05 PM   #36

The OP has a Sunseeker MH. The LP and CO detectors are one unit. The battery disconnect switch turns off the power to all things that could drain a battery while parked, including the detector.

2012 Forest River Sunseeker 2300 Chevy
Old 02-10-2015, 06:18 PM   #37

I still say he is getting exhaust fumes inside the unit while driving slow. When he said that the alarm went off while he was talking to a person in a vehicle beside his unit with the windows down and the alarm went off. If he is driving slow exiting the CG and has a window open he could he drawing exhaust fumes into the unit. If his CO detector is working properly it should activate when there is CO present in side the MH.
Old 02-11-2015, 05:39 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by RvBill3 View Post
The OP has a Sunseeker MH. The LP and CO detectors are one unit. The battery disconnect switch turns off the power to all things that could drain a battery while parked, including the detector.

2012 Forest River Sunseeker 2300 Chevy
well Sunseeker did it correct, I had to trace all my parasites, that where connected before my disconnect, that is why I put in the SPST switches.

Old 02-11-2015, 07:53 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timex View Post
Just bought a new CO/LP detector(haven't even opened the box). The OEM had to be replaced because I couldn't get it to stay off alarm mode. Of course these things usually sound off at 2:00 am! Mine is wired in with the refrigerator, so turning off the breaker or pulling the fuse was not an option. The original was so sensitive that it would alarm when I would spray WD40 outside. The first time I experienced these alarms, years ago, it went off at 2:00 am when there was no gas bottle turned on and with using everything on electric. Never did figure that one out. But a low battery is an instant trigger to set it off. I even have a name for it but I'll refrain from using it here.
I've read many stories lately of people being found dead in their trailers possibly due to carbon monoxide poisoning. These detectors are not cheap but I have a lot invested in ME, and I want to live a little bit longer.

I hooked the, uh, booger up this afternoon.
This is a SAFE T ALERT Dual Carbon Monoxide and Propane Gas Alarm model 35-742BR. Upon reading the directions(after installing of course), I saw what the lights/alarms mean.

NORMAL-NO ALARM-STEADY GREEN

CO ALARM-4 BEEPS 5 SECONDS OFF-STEADY RED

PROPANE ALARM-CONSTANT BEEP-FLASHING RED

ALARM MALFUNCTION-BEEP EVERY 30 SECONDS-ALTERNATE RED/GREEN

END OF LIFE-BEEPS EVERY 25-30 SECONDS-RED RED, GREEN GREEN
FLASHING

WARM UP CYCLE-NO SOUND-FLASHING GREEN

Recommended to replace after 5 years.
Bought on Feb 2 from CW with a date stamped on back of Jan 23, 2015. A little suspicious of the date.

I too feel like the OP has his alarm going off because of the fumes from the vehicle next to him. Probably not the smoke alarm. But smoke alarms will sense steam probably because of the heat associated with the steam.
Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Nights camped 2018 = 3
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 07:58 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timex View Post
I hooked the, uh, booger up this afternoon.
This is a SAFE T ALERT Dual Carbon Monoxide and Propane Gas Alarm model 35-742BR. Upon reading the directions(after installing of course), I saw what the lights/alarms mean.

NORMAL-NO ALARM-STEADY GREEN

CO ALARM-4 BEEPS 5 SECONDS OFF-STEADY RED

PROPANE ALARM-CONSTANT BEEP-FLASHING RED

ALARM MALFUNCTION-BEEP EVERY 30 SECONDS-ALTERNATE RED/GREEN

END OF LIFE-BEEPS EVERY 25-30 SECONDS-RED RED, GREEN GREEN
FLASHING

WARM UP CYCLE-NO SOUND-FLASHING GREEN

Recommended to replace after 5 years.
Bought on Feb 2 from CW with a date stamped on back of Jan 23, 2015. A little suspicious of the date.

I too feel like the OP has his alarm going off because of the fumes from the vehicle next to him. Probably not the smoke alarm. But smoke alarms will sense steam probably because of the heat associated with the steam.
If it's hooked to your refer 12V side I would still add a SPST switch to shut it off when your not using the trailer. All you have to do is cut the red wire and put the switch between 10 min job. It could just be me but I do not like things being put on the same circuit without some kinda of control. Mine was hooked directly to the battery, so no matter if I pulled the disconnect or not it was always hot. Also was that the black one?