Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2015, 10:36 PM   #1

Smoke alarm keeps going off for no reason

Sorry for two posts in one night but forget this annoying problem. After purchasing 2013 3010ds and driving it home, while pulling up to our house at slow speed, the smoke alarm went off and we could not figure out why nor how to shut it up. This happened on three occasions during our first weekend camping trip plus it happened on the way home while in the campground. Any ideas? Should we cut the wires to these annoying devices or is there a reason this happens. Again, thanks for any help.
Kamakazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 11:03 PM   #2
WFD

Is it chirping, as in a low battery warning or is it a solid tone, full alarm mode? They chirp as an indication that your main coach battery is low..and are you sure it's the smoke alarm and not the carbon monoxide alarm?
Old 02-08-2015, 11:07 PM   #3

It is full alarm mode and loud. We took the battery out (Smoke alarm over kitchen) and it still went off while driving. To make it stop, it seemed to when we turned the coach battery off. Not sure where the Carbon monoxide alarm is?
Old 02-08-2015, 11:13 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

The co alarm should be low to the ground in the coach. Not sure why your smoke alarm is going off like that. They tend to be super sensitive when cooking but that is just odd.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 11:23 PM   #5

If the CO alarm is low to the ground would the piercing sound be coming from the ground or above? It is so loud, it is hard to tell where it is coming from. My son says it seems to be coming from the speakers.
Old 02-08-2015, 11:32 PM   #6

The CO alarm could be on the ceiling. If you pulled the battery from the smoke alarm it should not be able to work. There is also a propane detector that is near the floor. If the alarm is being activated while driving it could be the CO detector because you are getting exhaust fumes inside the TT.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 11:34 PM   #7
WFD

If you took battery out of smoke alarm, it can't possibly be coming from that. Could be your carbon monoxide alarm which is also a LP gas detector. you wouldn't be able to detect carbon monoxide as it is odorless. Is the trailer all closed up? If you open it up to vent it, will the alarm stop? I would not cut wires, because it could be tied in with something else, and if you do have an issue, how will you detect it?
Old 02-08-2015, 11:37 PM   #8
WFD

My concern would be that it is doing exactly what it is supposed to and that you have elevated CO levels in there, thats why I asked if its all closed up and if you vent it with open doors and windows, if you had CO levels, they should drop and alarm should stop. Are you using/staying in the trailer or is it stored at home now?
Old 02-08-2015, 11:41 PM   #9

Are you sure about smoke alarm and removing batteries? On my home detectors, the batteries are for backup only and the alarm is connected to the house electricity. Any idea where the CO/LP detector is located in a 3010ds and why it might be going off while driving? It seems to being going off only while driving at slow speeds. It also went off while parked with camp fire outside but windows were closed.
Old 02-08-2015, 11:42 PM   #10
WFD

Your CO alarm lights will be green when all is well, and be solid red or a series of red lights if it is in alarm mode. CO/LP gas detector will be low to the ground normally, sometimes close to the door in motorhomes or closeby the fuse panel, can't really miss it...it's a white rectangular box normally...approx 3"x6".
Old 02-08-2015, 11:46 PM   #11
WFD

typically in trailers they are only battery operated, your house is hard wired with a battery backup in case of a power outage. One way to know for sure is to give it a little turn, should come off easily and into your hand if it is not hard wired.
My thought you are getting exhaust from your vehicle getting in there or its detecting propane.....
not to say you don't have a faulty detector either.
Old 02-08-2015, 11:48 PM   #12

Thanks for your help. We have it parked in storage now. It is hard to tell if it stopped when opening vents. It seemed to at one point, it seemed to when pushing the button on the smoke detector, it seemed to when cutting off coach battery power and it stopped when doing nothing. What would cause co detector to go off? What might be wrong that we can look for?
Old 02-08-2015, 11:50 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Exhaust fumes or propane leak can set that off.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 11:57 PM   #14
WFD

The CO detector will only go into full alarm if it senses CO or is faulty. you cannot detect CO because it is odorless and colorless but it is a deadly gas. You could test it with a CO detector from the home. Plug in types could be plugged into trailer and see what it does. CO gas present in the trailer will be the result of incomplete combustion, from your furnace, hot water tank, or possibly from your stove. Make sure all is shut off, make sure your propane tanks are closed and see what it does. If everything is shut off and propane tanks closed, and it continues to act up, its likely faulty...I wouldn't use the trailer till you get it corrected.
Old 02-08-2015, 11:59 PM   #15

So, since it does not go off while driving fast nor sleeping, but goes off while driving at slow speeds and while camping with fire burning outside, my guess is it is not a propane leak. Therefore, if an exhaust leak or outside fire being leaked inside, how might that be happening and might the detector be defective?
Old 02-09-2015, 12:08 AM   #16
WFD

How close is the campfire to the trailer? Not sure what to tell you re; exhaust fumes from vehicle....somehow they are finding their way in there. Are windows all closed when travelling? Your fridge can also be causing incomplete combustion when operating on propane. Have you done any work in trailer...Paint, wood staining, glues, etc... Have also heard of people spraying hair spray in close proximity to CO detectors and fouling up the sensors in there too..
Old 02-09-2015, 12:18 AM   #17

Actually, when the campfire set it off there was a window open so I will discount that one. It could have been a simple smoke alarm. What is confusing is the alarm going off while driving slowly. For example, we were leaving the campground and I stopped to talk to someone in a car we were traveling with and opened the window. No visible dust or anything and after I shut the window and they too off, the alarm went off. The battery was already removed. I will have to look for the CO/LP alarm and see if that is the one going off. Thanks for your concern.
Old 02-09-2015, 05:50 AM   #18

First, the smoke detector is in the ceiling and is (only) battery operated. Removing the battery will silence it. They often detect false alarms when cooking, but otherwise should not.

Second, what you are likely hearing is the propane/carbon monoxide detector. It is likely located near the entrance steps, down low near the floor. It is powered by the coach battery, so when the power is off in the coach, the detector is off. There is a green light on it when on. When in alarm, the light turns red. These are two detectors in one. They detect propane leaks and carbon monoxide.

These detectors are temperamental. They can trigger false alarms easily. One of the false triggers is gasses given off by the coach battery when charging. The battery is located in the step--right near the detector. Open the step and inspect the seal and make sure the vent in the battery compartment is not blocked. Secure the step tightly. If there is a leak there, it would explain why it does it at slow speed. At faster speeds, the gas is being vented, but at slow speed it is seeping in by the detector. These can also be set off by things like hair spray or other aerosols collecting in the step well area.

Finally, these detectors have a maximum 5 year life (from time of manufacture of the detector, not the MH). Some fail long before that. It might be the simplest solution to replace the detector.

Even though temperamental, they serve an important purpose. Don't cut the wires. There is a reset button on the front of them. Push it during an alarm and if the condition has cleared the alarm will reset. Opening the door or otherwise venting the area by the detector will help. Also, it might be a good idea to have the propane tank and fitting inspected for leaks. You can use a gas detector around the tank and/or soapy water sprayed on the fittings (and look for bubbles forming as a sign of leaks).

2012 Forest River Sunseeker 2300 Chevy
Old 02-09-2015, 08:53 AM   #19

Thanks RVBill and everyone who replied,

That explains things perfectly. We now have a great idea of where to look.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:33 AM   #20

I would replace the smoke detector with a better quality unit that has both ion and photoelectric sensors. Also, dust can also cause these devices to go haywire.
biznsa is offline   Reply With Quote