Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2015, 01:29 PM   #1

Solar panels

Curious about solar panels. How do they work and how many would one need in a MH - 31 feet.

Bob, Diane & Snoopy
2018 3050s Sunseeker
Santabobswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 05:40 PM   #2

I am also looking in to getting solar panels so I guess we will both find out.
jjfmd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 06:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santabobswife View Post
Curious about solar panels. How do they work and how many would one need in a MH - 31 feet.
It would be how many amps you need or want, Remember that solar panels drop off fast with the amp rating depending on the sun angle that it is hitting the cell. Lets say you laid them flat on a roof and they are rated for 5 amps. You will not see the panel put off 5 amps for more then an hour when the sun is directly shining on them. You panels will differ from the angle to the sun. So at noon you will get max amps in the morning hrs and afternoon they will drop off on the amps they are putting out because the sun ray will bounce off. They need to tract the sun for max out put. If you can't tract the sun your output will vary So you can put 5 amp panels on roof but be only getting 1 1/2 amps at 5:00 PM. or 8:00 AM.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 06:43 PM   #4
CCRVOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santabobswife View Post
Highly recommend you read Jack's website. His information (and guidance) helped me out tremendously during my planning and installation of my solar system.
http://http://www.jackdanmayer.com/r..._and_solar.htm
2012 Dodge 3500, SLT Big Horn,CC,DRW,Cummins HO, EB, 4x4, 3:73, Retrax Pro, Q20, TST507, Garmin RV760, Sleek 4g
2014 Cedar Creek, 36CKTS, 1000w Solar, TriStar MPPT 60, Magnum 2000w, PI EMS, WiFi Ranger Elite, Sleek 4g, Wingard DTV Traveler
Retired Army in 1995, and now retired in 2016
Ramblin Recks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 06:47 PM   #5
Site Team

What size panels, how many and what size controller depend on what you want to do. You first need to decide what you want to run and for how long. Then you need to decide what batteries you need ( sun doesn't always shine). Then you can pick controller and panels. I suggest getting one or two sizes larger controller than you think you need so you can easily add panels without getting another controller. Once you have the above data go to http://www.solar-electric.com/and you will find helpful info on choosing the system that will meet your needs.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 07:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin Recks View Post
Highly recommend you read Jack's website. His information (and guidance) helped me out tremendously during my planning and installation of my solar system.
http://http://www.jackdanmayer.com/r..._and_solar.htm
X2 on Jack's website, be sure and measure available space between other items on your roof and allow room to walk around everything on the roof (including panels) when done.
2000 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager M-8357 MH, Ford Trident V10 Gasser, 35 foot.
Batts-toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 07:54 PM   #7

What do you expect to run on solar power? I am interested myself but after watching a lot of videos on YouTube I have come to realize solar power is quite limited. Well, at least with the amount of realestate for panels on the roof. I have seen some videos where people ran an A/C for a short time, but nothing like would be needed in a hot climate. Some say the furnace fan lasts through the night and some don't. It seems that most people I see with panels live in moderate climates and just try to run a few appliances and get through the night with their batteries.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:41 PM   #8

apologize in advance as I'm sure this has been asked so many times, people are likely sick of it. I have 2 x 12 volt batteries wired in parallel. I bought a 40 watt crystalline solar panel with a charge controller. So, I ran the positive and negative wires from the controller to one battery. I never got a charge in the batteries according to the built in push button battery indicator(which I know is not likely highly accurate) of more than 2 thirds full? I do get a reading of full charge after plugging them for a night. Do I actually wire it as above or do I hook the positive to one battery and the negative to the other? And does the charge indicator in the trailer not pick up a full charge from the two batteries or just one? Thanks so much.
Mikeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 11:04 PM   #9

40 watts of panels isn't going to give you much juice. Did you connect the panel through a solar controller?
I started out with 2 x 100 watt Renogy panels into a MPPT solar controller and was very pleased with them keeping all 4 of my 125 amp hr batteries at full charge.
I got carried away and added 4 more 100 watt panels and an inverter and yes, I CAN run my A/C for a few hours at a time if need be, but not an everyday thing. The inverter was mostly for the microwave at rest stops and boondocking and it does it's job. I can run the fridge off 110 when traveling and don't have to waste LP.
The SECRET to a good solar system is a MPPT controller and SEVERAL deep cycle, high amp hr batteries. There is no substitute for multi batteries.
We live in SE Georgia and are getting 12 hours of sun each day minus the usual afternoon thunder showers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Finished Product 6 x 100 watts.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	377.7 KB
ID:	82497  
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 11:11 PM   #10

All I'm looking for is the correct way to hook it onto my batteries, 40 will be more than enough to keep them topped up. We rarely use the microwave or a/c unless we're plugged in and we also carry a generator. We don't do a huge lot of dry camping. It'd just be easier to hook up the panel, leave it. It has a charge controller yes.
Old 07-09-2015, 11:52 PM   #11

Connect the positive wire from the controller to the positive of one battery and the negative from the controller to the neg of the OTHER battery.
Remember, you are not going to get all 40 watts but for a very short time each day and on cloudy days, an even shorter time. 40 watts is MAX, not continuous, and that isn't even considering loss in wiring and probably around 90% to 95% efficiency which is the industry standard.
Old 07-10-2015, 12:10 AM   #12

Thanks. I do fully understand all that. We're not hard core dry campers. Well, at least not yet. Althiugh, here in alberta, we do tend to get numerous hail storms, not sure I'd be comfortable installing them on the roof. This is just to keep em topped up, nothing more, nothing less for now. Thanks for your reply!
Old 07-10-2015, 07:26 PM   #13

No problem. Several people have reported getting hit with golfball sized hail with no damage to panels. I can't confirm or deny any of these reports and have not experienced hail. The panels are very strong and I believe they would take quite a beating before breaking. I'm betting 6 panels on it!
Yesterday I turned on the frig [115vac] and two Maxxy ceiling fans and let them run all night [97* here]. This morning at 10:00, the solar system was producing 58 vdc at 12 amps into the battery bank. By 1:30 the batts were up to 13.2vdc. I do love solar!
Old 07-10-2015, 09:03 PM   #14

Thanks for the info my friend, I appreciate it.
Old 07-11-2015, 05:41 PM   #15

You guys are the best. I will share this information with Santa Bob. Looking forward to some solar power.

Bob, Diane & Snoopy
2018 3050s Sunseeker
Santabobswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 08:01 PM   #16

Has anybody ever put in a battery selector switch? That way you can charge coach batteries and if needed top off the vehicle battery(s)? was wondering if a worthwhile exercise for the sake of a bit of #10 wire and a switch....
MarsMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar