Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2015, 02:19 PM   #1

Solar Panels on 2300

I am putting two 31'' x 47'' panels on the roof. I will try to get truss locations from FR but in the meantime, has anyone installed panels and how did you go about the job? I want to do it right the first time. Because the trusses are aluminum I don't think a normal stud finder would work.
GerryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 09:20 PM   #2
Commercial Member

We do have some backer up there for a satellite installation so if you use a magnet it will find that galvanized metal backer...but other than that, stud finder is no use.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:27 AM   #3

Mounting solar panels

It would make sense to me that trusses would be spaced to support AC and other vents. Would they be immediately below the wood backer panel or would there be insulation between the truss and the wood? Would they be on standard spacing? I could drill holes to experiment but I would rather not. This type of info should be more available with the decrease in price of solar panels. Travis has requested info from Engineering but of course I gotta go since I have all the parts :} I wish there was another way to get the power cable in other than thru the fridge roof cap. Thanks
Old 04-15-2015, 02:48 PM   #4

GerryW,

This might help:

How to attach solar panel to fiberglass roof? - iRV2 Forums
mbauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryW View Post
It would make sense to me that trusses would be spaced to support AC and other vents. Would they be immediately below the wood backer panel or would there be insulation between the truss and the wood? Would they be on standard spacing? I could drill holes to experiment but I would rather not. This type of info should be more available with the decrease in price of solar panels. Travis has requested info from Engineering but of course I gotta go since I have all the parts :} I wish there was another way to get the power cable in other than thru the fridge roof cap. Thanks
Since Travis said there were no trusses on this model I drilled 3/8 holes and used 8 toggle bolts per panel. Under the 2'' wide angle i used a silicone formulated to stick to aluminum, fibreglass, fingers, hair, blankets etc. I put enough silicone to seal the holes and hold the panels forever. I put the controller by the entry door to minimize wire length and aggravation. Right now my batteries are fully charged and ready to go. I realize it would be difficult for FR to to offer mounting strips or locations given the variance in panel sizes, but still.... Anyway a little guidance would be appreciated from FR.

Tags
solar