Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2015, 09:36 AM   #1

Solid Fiberglass Cabover Shell

I am just throwing this out there for discussion.

I noted that at least 1 Class C manufacturer (Jayco) is constructing their cabover of solid 1 piece of fiberglass.

It looks like Sunseeker is using a 2 piece design with a front fiberglass cap connected to the sidewall.

Since the 1 piece cabover design will never rot if leaks occur, I wonder if Sunseeker or other manufacturer's will follow suit?
vjstangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:02 AM   #2
Class C Representative

At one time we all had the sidewalls and roof integrated into the cabover. We made a change and led the way with a more efficient and secure design with the one piece fiberglass front cap. Since the one piece fiberglass front cap is separate we eliminate any forward facing seams and can overlap our sidewalls and roof by 2 inches. With doing this you eliminate a lot of potential leak issues.
Joshua Cavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 03:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Cavitt View Post
At one time we all had the sidewalls and roof integrated into the cabover. We made a change and led the way with a more efficient and secure design with the one piece fiberglass front cap. Since the one piece fiberglass front cap is separate we eliminate any forward facing seams and can overlap our sidewalls and roof by 2 inches. With doing this you eliminate a lot of potential leak issues.
Josh, you say that FR has a one piece fiberglass front cap. So what is the difference between Jayco and Forest River front caps then?
2016 Forester 3171DS (ordered March & arrived June 2015)
benagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 06:06 PM   #4

As much as I do like the 1 piece cabover I know that there are issues with that being replaced. My cousin has a new Jayco Greywolf that has had the cabover recalled already. When they do this, the cabover and front corner pieces have to be removed and all new decaling reinstalled from the corner side pieces back. Needless to say, it has not been a pleasant experience for a 2015 model.
osgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 05:47 PM   #5

Following thread
rhart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fiberglass