Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2014, 09:49 PM   #1

Some random thoughts and suggestions for improvement

I always like to start with the positives so here we go.

Overall we love it. We've had our model 2700 Sunseeker motor home for about 3 months now. This is our first motor home and so far don't regret the purchase at all. The layout is perfect for our needs, the seats and bed are comfortable (with memory foam on the bed to soften it up a little). Not to say we haven't had any problems... I've fixed a leak in the plumbing, TV and audio system not wired correctly, holes / gaps in the wheel wells not sealed by the spray insulation, mistakes with trim installation. (It's kept me busy for the last few months.)

The ride and handling are acceptable. I may investigate a front end alignment to specs after we get a few miles on it. I towed a 7500 # trailer with it this past weekend. Except for the wind, the V10 handled it without issue. The steering was acceptable but could be better. Transmission performance could be better... more on that later.

Other things I like:
- Grey and black water setup enclosed in the one storage area. It's not exposed and the hose can stay attached and out of the way.

- Easy access to the valve to empty the fresh water tank.

- Lot's of storage.

- Wife is happy with it (that's the most important positive)

Suggestions for improvement:
1. Get rid of that Jensen touch screen audit unit.
- you end up changing the channel every time you adjust the volume because the area to select pre-programmed channels is right beside the volume knob.
- you can't see the screen when driving during the day due to the glare.
- the GPS functionality absolutely sucks. I'll stick to my Tom Tom. I don't know where the build-in GPS though it was going when we programmed it to take us home from the dealer.

2. The skylight over the shower is not in the center of the shower. I'm 6' and end up hitting my head on the roof / trim around the skylight.

3, The strut for the center cupboard door above the dinette is not fastened to a very strong piece of trim. I had to add a couple of screws to reinforce the staples that aren't long enough. Why it's not all one piece, I don't know. (if you look at the cupboard and framing you'll know what i mean.)

4. Radio reception sucks. I've read the threads, someone must be able to come up with a solution to this. You're smart guys, it can't be that difficult or expensive. And no... paying for satellite isn't the solution.

5. The tow/haul mode is painful. Far too much downshifting and excessive rpm's for engine braking. I'm looking for the tune to change that. I read about one somewhere but can't find it now.

That's all I have so far. I hope these comments help someone and Forest River considers the suggestions for future modules.

Happy camping everyone!
jst3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 12:59 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Thanks for the feedback. I'll look into it.

1. As for the radio...my first response would be to try using the remote. I've changed the volume with no issues, but then i don't think i had preset stations and I mainly use my iPhone for music. (Or I think there are several on here that will gladly trade you their Magnadyne)

2. Might be a structural issue with where the duct work is...but I'll ask.

3. noted

4. I'll ask Jensen

5. Sorry. that is the same on all E450's.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:44 PM   #3

Look into the 5star tune. We experienced the same shifting and high rpm issues with the stock tune. We installed the 5star tune and it makes a big difference. Down shifting on overpasses and hills is much better. No more high RPMs.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
kswing60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 11:28 PM   #4

4. Make sure your antenna is actually attached. I had one rig that the antenna cable ended about a foot from the radio. The 'air gap' really affected the reception . Also look for evidence of bending the antenna wire to much during installation. 6 times the radius of the cable is the rule of thumb for max bend tolerance. If it was bent more than that you'll probably be able to see marks along the antenna cable to clue you in. Normally a radio antenna has a solid wire core just like your tv cable wire so when you bend it too far, it breaks. If that is broken, it is usually as bad as no connection at all. I realize you may be limited in what you can see on the antenna, maybe a cheapo after market hooked to the radio to see if it works better. If it does, that would suggest an open in your factory wire somewhere.
Sans1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 10:01 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kswing60 View Post
Look into the 5star tune. We experienced the same shifting and high rpm issues with the stock tune. We installed the 5star tune and it makes a big difference. Down shifting on overpasses and hills is much better. No more high RPMs.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
That's the name I saw. Couldn't remember that for the life of me. Thanks very much.
Old 07-12-2014, 10:12 AM   #6

The biggest issue with the radio is the glare on the screen when driving during the day. I think it's just not suited for the Ford truck dash design.