Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2013, 09:12 PM   #1

Some Sunseeker questions

We just ordered a new 3010 DS through RV direct. We're new to MH's and I have a few questions. Should probably post a couple of different threads, but for here a couple of questions ?

First, do Sunseekers have inverters ? From what I've been able to figure out, the answer is no? If so, does this mean that the 110 AC is not available unless "hooked" up or the generator is running ? Also, what about the "quality" of the power. I've been reading alot about spikes, pure sine waves vs modified sine waves, etc.. Would it be advisable to purchase a small pure sine wave inverter to plus into a 12 V outlet for powering sensitive electronics such as laptops ?

Also, unrelated to the above, is the U-dinette "standard"on the 3010 DS. The literature is kind of confusing on this. It seems like the U-dinette may be the only option on the 3010 ? The reason I ask is that when i ordered, it let me specify the U-dinette as an "option", but if it is really standard, then I should get credited back for it ..

I have a some more questions about the entertainment options and layout, but think I will start another thread for those ..

Thanks,

Robert
Old 12-31-2013, 10:33 PM   #2

Robert-
Your questions about options and credits makes me wonder how good your dealer is...I ordered a Gulf Stream and my dealer went back and forth with the factory folks several times based on questions I asked about options and modifications.

The 3010DS is a sweet rig - I saw one at an RV show in February. I personally wouldn't worry about an inverter - the generator will take care of your power needs. I wonder why the put two batteries in the 3010DS without an inverter, though.

Contact your dealer. S/he should be able to help and if there are options you didn't know to ask for, it may not be too late to add them.
rjf7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 06:49 AM   #3

To answer one question, you are correct that without an inverter you only have 110 volts if plugged in or if running the generator. I use a small inverter that plugs into a 12 volt outlet for recharging our laptop, Nook, etc., when we aren't plugged in so I don't have to run the generator for these small loads.

I use a surge protector for the laptop. I'm not an electrical engineer, but it looks to me that the since the laptop's power supply converts 110 AC to DC anyway it wouldn't matter if the 110 volts is a perfect sine wave or not. The battery in a laptop also helps smooth out voltage spikes.

You state that you are new to motorhomes. This forum offers lots of good information for you. Look through the threads as much as you can. Even if the dealer gives you a very good pre-delivery walkthrough, it's hard to remember it all and you will have questions later.

If you have trouble during a trip and need immediate help, you can post to this forum with a subject line something like "NEED HELP with XXX - ON THE ROAD". It is likely someone can respond quickly.

One bit of advice that will be immediately useful is to run the propane furnace for at least 15 minutes with the door and some windows open. It has oil on it from the factory and it will set off the smoke alarm as it burns off.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 11:35 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblerGuy View Post
You state that you are new to motorhomes. This forum offers lots of good information for you. Look through the threads as much as you can. Even if the dealer gives you a very good pre-delivery walkthrough, it's hard to remember it all and you will have questions later.

If you have trouble during a trip and need immediate help, you can post to this forum with a subject line something like "NEED HELP with XXX - ON THE ROAD". It is likely someone can respond quickly.

One bit of advice that will be immediately useful is to run the propane furnace for at least 15 minutes with the door and some windows open. It has oil on it from the factory and it will set off the smoke alarm as it burns off.
Both excellent pieces of information thanks!!..

As far as modified vs pure sine wave goes... There does seem to be a lot of different opinions on the net. I'm sure pure sine wave inverter manufactures overstate the issue .. I did see something about direct DC to DC converters for specific chargers. Although, I believe they still must convert dc -- AC -- dc to step up the voltage, they may be a bit more efficient than an inverter.. but don't really know..
Here is such an example of one of these things for my particular laptop ..

Amazon.com : Pwr+® Laptop Car Charger for Toshiba Satellite C655 C655d L455 L675 L675d L735 L740 L745 L745d L750 L750d L755 L755d P745 P755 P775d T115 T115d T135 T135d T215 T215d T235 L450 L645 L645d L655 L675d M645 A100 A110 A135 A200 A205 A215 A85

Again, thanks for the info ...

Robert
Old 01-01-2014, 10:02 PM   #5

That will probably work. I went through 3 real cheap inverters and ended up buying a Samlex brand 150w PSW with cig lighter plug for about $100. I wish I'd bought it the first time.

http://www.samlexamerica.com/product...l.aspx?pid=113

I do think that as mentioned above, laptops and other things with transformers do not need pure sine wave. I just bought that PSW one because I didn't come across any other good small inverters for any cheaper.

Also: RV 12v outlets aren't capable of 150w, usually. But just because the inverter can deliver that much doesn't mean you have to. So far I've run a TV and DISH receiver off it with watts to spare. (In a different RV with an efficient 120v TV.)
Snowman9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:46 AM   #6
Commercial Member

No inverter. All the TV's and DVD player is 12V anyway. Typically you're plugging in anyway, but if its just a laptop I have alway gotten one of those cigarette lighter adaptors and have been fine. Running a macbook pro.

U-dinette is standard in the 3010. It is only an option right now in the 2300 where the regular dinette is standard and the U-dinette is an option.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
No inverter. All the TV's and DVD player is 12V anyway. Typically you're plugging in anyway, but if its just a laptop I have alway gotten one of those cigarette lighter adaptors and have been fine. Running a macbook pro.
Yes, that's basically what I had figured. I believe right now I can run anything I would want with either a direct DC-DC adapter or a small inverter.

It might be nice to have a large inverter directly off the batteries to run any internal power without the need for a generator. Especially if someone were to want to install some added solar panels ...
However, in a case like that I would probably want to investigate large watt inverters and install it myself anyway, so I don't really consider not having a factory inverter any deficiency.

I did have a couple of questions about the entertainment electronics. I believe there is a "primary" DVD in the cab dash that feeds the TV over the kitchen counter ? Is that Blue Ray by chance ?
Also, I note that the bedroom TV option now reads TV/DVD ? Is there really a separate DVD in the bedroom now ? Also, do the TV's have hdmi inputs ? Do we know the actual brand/model used so we could look up information on the net ?

Thanks,

Robert
Old 01-03-2014, 08:02 AM   #8

What I would LOVE to see is solar pre-wiring, from the roof to near the batteries. And make it large gauge.

I'll be putting solar on our 2300 sometime this year.
Snowman9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:24 AM   #9
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhroll24 View Post
I did have a couple of questions about the entertainment electronics. I believe there is a "primary" DVD in the cab dash that feeds the TV over the kitchen counter ? Is that Blue Ray by chance ?
Also, I note that the bedroom TV option now reads TV/DVD ? Is there really a separate DVD in the bedroom now ? Also, do the TV's have hdmi inputs ? Do we know the actual brand/model used so we could look up information on the net ?

Thanks,

Robert
Yes, DVD in dash
No, not Blu Ray
Yes, DVD in bedroom on new models
Yes, HDMI
We use Jensen LED TV's up front.
Skyworth in the bedrooms currently

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:08 AM   #10