Old 10-17-2014, 10:12 AM   #1

Sorry, another winterizing ?

So with the Roo, I used antifreeze pumped from the city water inlet. Now I see the winterizing bypass kits from the water pump lines. What is the difference between using the lines from the pump vs the city lines using the Camco antifreeze pump? Pros/cons? Does it matter? I never had any issues doing it from the city line in the Roo, is it different in the motor homes?

Nights camped in 2011/36, 2012/9, 2013/24, 2014/27; 2015/50 2016: 34
hockeytownmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 12:04 PM   #2

I think you need to do both. If you tie into the inlet side of the pump you will get most lines except the city water supply line due to the check valve. You may be able to unseat the check valve at the connection to get antifreeze to backflow thru the line.

You need to be sure to drain (or maybe you can run the water pump) to ensure the suction side of the water pump is dry, if you only pump thru the city water connection. One thing my unit as well as some others I have seen did not have the city water supply tied in before the water filter. City water bypassed the filter which would cause the antifreeze to bypass all that piping as well. It's easy to tell by looking for the city water tie-in connection between the pump and the filter.

This may be overkill but I open all drains including the water heater, air blow thru the city water connection and then hook up the suction of the onboard pump to an antifreeze supply and fill the system lines. I then use a hand pump to pump some in thru the city water connection.

Old 10-17-2014, 12:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATVer View Post
I think you need to do both. If you tie into the inlet side of the pump you will get most lines except the city water supply line due to the check valve. You may be able to unseat the check valve at the connection to get antifreeze to backflow thru the line.

You need to be sure to drain (or maybe you can run the water pump) to ensure the suction side of the water pump is dry, if you only pump thru the city water connection. One thing my unit as well as some others I have seen did not have the city water supply tied in before the water filter. City water bypassed the filter which would cause the antifreeze to bypass all that piping as well. It's easy to tell by looking for the city water tie-in connection between the pump and the filter.

This may be overkill but I open all drains including the water heater, air blow thru the city water connection and then hook up the suction of the onboard pump to an antifreeze supply and fill the system lines. I then use a hand pump to pump some in thru the city water connection.
X2 on this Post! Youroo!!
Old 10-17-2014, 02:56 PM   #4

Right now its air compressor winterized, we're going out tonight and I'm trying to decide if it's worth dewinterizing it. I'm intimidated by winterizing at the water pump.

Old 10-17-2014, 07:02 PM   #5

Yeah the first time you use the water pump method is a bit of work. You have to take out a bunch of screws and remove the access panel, install a winterization kit on the pump inlet, then modify the panel, drill a hole, so you can access the winterization valve and put it back together. You can route the antifreeze suction line over to the water filter access panel for future uses.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:27 AM   #6

We almost empty the water tank, pour in anti-freeze, and run the pump enough to move it through that circuit, then drain the water tank, drain the water heater, and blow out the lines with air. Takes an hour or so and a bit of anti-freeze, but seems to work and is relatively trauma free.
Old 10-19-2014, 01:06 PM   #7

Beware winterizing with compressed air only.
That method may not get all of the water out of the system -- especially the toilet valve.

My procedure:

I open the low point drain and let all the water drain out.
Close low point drain.
Drain fresh water holding tank.
Remove the water filter and empty water from canister. Reinstall canister.
Close low point drain.
Blow out lines with compressed air.
Bypass and drain water heater.
Use a small hose to siphon remaining water out of water heater.
Blow out lines again.
Open low point drains again then close.

Remove the hose going to the inlet side of the water pump and leave it off until spring.
(You don't want water that may be left in the bottom of the holding tank to make it's way to the pump.)

I purchased 2 plastic fittings and piece of clear hose at the hardware store for less than $10.
Put the 90 deg. fitting on the water pump inlet.
Thread the other fitting with a hose adapter to the 90 deg fitting.
Attach the hose to the fitting and insert the other end into the antifreeze jug.
(Didn't have to remove the cover, or drill holes - the pump is on rubber mounts and moves enough to get the fitting on without any of that.)

Pump about 4 gallons of antifreeze through the system. (I know a little overkill but it's cheap.) Don't forget the outside shower that never gets used.

Remove fittings from water pump inlet.
Remove water filter canister and dump anti-freeze back in jug.
Clean canister and store in a safe place until spring.
Empty black water holding tank.

Go to fridge and enjoy an adult beverage of choice while you think about the great camping season you just had with your Sunseeker MH and how much you can't wait for spring.
Old 10-19-2014, 01:41 PM   #8

First step Close W/H bypass valves.Next step drain W/H. If done in other order (Crap) from W/H can Go Downstream! Your Choice? Youroo!!
Old 10-19-2014, 02:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jst3 View Post
Beware winterizing with compressed air only.
That method may not get all of the water out of the system -- especially the toilet valve.

My procedure:

I open the low point drain and let all the water drain out.
Close low point drain.
Drain fresh water holding tank.
Remove the water filter and empty water from canister. Reinstall canister.
Close low point drain.
Blow out lines with compressed air.
Bypass and drain water heater.
Use a small hose to siphon remaining water out of water heater.
Blow out lines again.
Open low point drains again then close.

Remove the hose going to the inlet side of the water pump and leave it off until spring.
(You don't want water that may be left in the bottom of the holding tank to make it's way to the pump.)

I purchased 2 plastic fittings and piece of clear hose at the hardware store for less than $10.
Put the 90 deg. fitting on the water pump inlet.
Thread the other fitting with a hose adapter to the 90 deg fitting.
Attach the hose to the fitting and insert the other end into the antifreeze jug.
(Didn't have to remove the cover, or drill holes - the pump is on rubber mounts and moves enough to get the fitting on without any of that.)

Pump about 4 gallons of antifreeze through the system. (I know a little overkill but it's cheap.) Don't forget the outside shower that never gets used.

Remove fittings from water pump inlet.
Remove water filter canister and dump anti-freeze back in jug.
Clean canister and store in a safe place until spring.
Empty black water holding tank.

Go to fridge and enjoy an adult beverage of choice while you think about the great camping season you just had with your Sunseeker MH and how much you can't wait for spring.

What are the odds you have a picture of this setup of the water pump??

Old 10-19-2014, 10:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeytownmom View Post
What are the odds you have a picture of this setup of the water pump??
Lucky it's sitting in my driveway ready to go to storage for the winter so I went out a snapped a couple of pics.

Here is what the fittings looks like. Just put a piece of clear plastic hose on the fitting and run it into your jug of antifreeze.

Tags
winter, winterize