Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2016, 07:37 AM   #1
Camp-N-Nut

Spare tire

My neighbor just bought a 2004 Sunseeker class c and it doesn't have a spare tire. We got a spare wheel and tire but all that is in the location under the class c is a threaded rod about 12 inches long. Is this what holds the spare up underneath? Should there be a cable system to lift the spare like a pickup truck has? It would be very difficult to lay on the ground and lift the spare up and fasten it underneath.
Old 11-27-2016, 08:08 AM   #2
Site Team

The only thing missing is a safety chain that goes thru a wheel hand hold and around a frame member. There is no lift system and the spare is very difficult to drop, much less put back, in that position. I did it once, with my son's help, and decided it would never happen again...

I have heard of folks installing a lift system from a pick up / SUV to make it easier. Instead of trying that my wife bought me a Roadmaster Spare Tire Carrier that goes in the hitch receiver. If they are not towing a TOAD there are other less expensive hitch mounted tire carriers available as well. Check out etrailer.com for some options as well as ebay....

They also need a hydraulic jack, I suggest at least 10 Ton rated, and a lug wrench. A old school hub cap tool, used to remove and reinstall the "wheel simulators, is also very handy to have... None of these were items were supplied with our Sunseeker....

I ended up adding a air compressor and air wrench as the 140ft lbs of torque on the Ford E-450 lug nuts can be a bear to break loose with a standard lug wrench...
Old 11-27-2016, 08:50 AM   #3

If you decide to go with a crank-up spare tire carrier, you might want to check out your local junk yards and get one from a pick-up. I did this many years ago to replace the old swing arm carrier under my pickup. It was very easy and a lot cheaper. Good Luck with what ever you go with!
2012 HD Street Glide
2008 Honda FSC600 Silver wing
hdmtnrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 09:42 AM   #4

I installed one of these and bought a wheel and tire to mount on it. Roadmaster Inc. - Tow Bars, Braking Systems & RV Accessories

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 09:54 AM   #5
Camp-N-Nut

Thanks for all the information. I think I will check out the local junkyard for a cable type system.
Old 11-27-2016, 10:52 AM   #6

If you don't maintain the cable lift system properly (and you probably won't), it will lock up and you won't be able to drop the tire anyway.

Your best bet is a vertical spare tire mount, either a receiver mount or a bumper mount and you can install a front receiver and put your spare on the front in a receiver mount too.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire