Old 05-11-2019, 03:06 PM   #1

Spare tire and jack

We are preparing our road trip next week and just wondering if any Sunseeker owners ever had to change a tire. Ours came with a spare tire but no wrench nor jack. Planning to bring a bottle jack, breaker bar/wrench and torque wrench just in case.

Opinions?

Old 05-11-2019, 06:15 PM   #2

I have everything to do myself if the need arose, but I use Roadside assist.

Old 05-11-2019, 06:17 PM   #3

Me? I sometimes bring a spare. I have levelers and tools to lift and change. I suggest a big breaker bar in addition to the torque wrench. 140ft lbs can be a stretch for some. A tourque multiplier can help too. Practice at home first. Also consider the fill valves. I don't use extenders so I can move wheels without even thinking of the valves.

I am underweight enough I am comfortable to limp on a single on one of the rears if needed. This is rare, the underweight, based on my chassis and length, and should not normally be planned for. (Fullly loaded, we have literally a ton of CCC unused with full tanks. I could dump the fresh and lose 300lb or so right over the rear axle.)

When we bring our cargo trailer, instead of a toad, we bring the spare. With a toad, I am comfortable getting service to me, or driving in to get a new tire.
Old 05-12-2019, 01:41 AM   #4

I have had to change out a flat before. I do have road side assist but they said it would be 6hr before they could have some one come out!! Changed it my self and dropped the coverage.
Toytec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 05:05 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toytec View Post
I have had to change out a flat before. I do have road side assist but they said it would be 6hr before they could have some one come out!! Changed it my self and dropped the coverage.
Did your coach comes with jack and wrenches?
Also where do you set the jack to lift the front or rear?

Thanks to all inputs 😊
Old 05-12-2019, 05:10 AM   #6
RETIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
X2 and I moved the spare to huge rear exterior compartment fastened to rear interior wall-easier to get at than crawling under rig and unchaining and lowering it on the road.
Thought 2650s were discontinued after 2017?

2015 Jeep Cherokee
2016 Ford Race Car Red 350HD Cargo Van HR DRW EXT DIY Daytripper "Red Roamer"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 05:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
Yep, x2 here. I don't relish the thought of having to perform the change, but would if roadside took forever.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 05:29 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonjoey View Post
Did your coach comes with jack and wrenches?
Also where do you set the jack to lift the front or rear?

Thanks to all inputs ��
No, I've never seen a coach come with any kind of tire changing equipment.
I place my jack directly under the front I-Beam on side with flat. Rear I place jack under axle spring pad on side of flat.
And, if your getting a bottle jack don't waste your time with anything under a 20 ton jack. Smaller jacks like 12 ton will work but it is much harder to "stroke" the jack handle to extend it. 20 ton is much easier.
If there's a Harbor Freight in your area, a 20 ton can be had for around $40.00 with one of their discount coupons. Not the best jack but you may only use it on or two times. Have one going on 7 years now and it always works.
A decant torque multiplier can be had for around $50-$75. It will save you from carrying breaker bars and killing your back trying to loosen a lug nut. Those two tools will do the job for you. You may never need them, but you'll have only around $100-$125 in them...less than 2 good meals out on the town.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 06:07 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGrinch View Post
Yep, x2 here. I don't relish the thought of having to perform the change, but would if roadside took forever.
afaik, fr only sells 2650s to CanaDream and its their most if not only coach that they only offer rentals during winter.
Old 05-12-2019, 06:08 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy0374 View Post
No, I've never seen a coach come with any kind of tire changing equipment.
I place my jack directly under the front I-Beam on side with flat. Rear I place jack under axle spring pad on side of flat.
And, if your getting a bottle jack don't waste your time with anything under a 20 ton jack. Smaller jacks like 12 ton will work but it is much harder to "stroke" the jack handle to extend it. 20 ton is much easier.
If there's a Harbor Freight in your area, a 20 ton can be had for around $40.00 with one of their discount coupons. Not the best jack but you may only use it on or two times. Have one going on 7 years now and it always works.
A decant torque multiplier can be had for around $50-$75. It will save you from carrying breaker bars and killing your back trying to loosen a lug nut. Those two tools will do the job for you. You may never need them, but you'll have only around $100-$125 in them...less than 2 good meals out on the town.
Grumpy
We have princess auto here which is like harbor freight and will check a 20T bottle jack.
Thanks for the info!

Tags
tire