Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2017, 06:19 AM   #1
Camp-N-Nut

Spare tire mount

Just bought a 2004 Sunseeker class C. It does not have a spare tire. I bought a spare but can't figure out how to mount it underneath the coach. There is only a small threaded rod where the spare goes. Can someone take a picture of their spare mounted under their coach and post it so I can see how it goes?
Old 03-25-2017, 01:19 PM   #2

All it is, is a piece of square steel stock, 8" long. Spare goes up over the threaded bolt, steel stock goes up, and it's held in place by a nut/washer.
If you'll send me your address via a PM, I'll send you the one that came with my Lexi. Should fit yours with no problem.
I use an exterior tire carrier that fit's my rear hitch, so no need for it.
Freebie, just send my your mailing info.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 01:27 PM   #3
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Why carry the spare? One day I stopped in to a diesel repair shop to get a large castle nut. While I was there I asked how they respond to a axel failure on the road and how they would get it to the shop for repair? They explained the different types of axels and how they might have to chain up the old style axels. Long story short was if its got two axels they lift it by the kingpost and drag it to the shop. So, why carry a spare? I'm understanding some newer models do not offer them at sales?
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 06:24 PM   #4

Spare is one less worry while out on the road in unknown places. If you get a flat call roadside repair. They come out and install your spare and your on your way.
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 08:01 PM   #5
Camp-N-Nut

Hey grumpy 0374. Thank you for your reply. You were right on the money. I put the spare underneath and bolted it to the threaded rod and it fits perfect and is solid. Don't know what the other guys answers relate to but I can change my own tire and can have my spare changed out long before road service arrives and save a sh** load of my doing it myself. Thanks again grumpy!
Old 03-25-2017, 08:09 PM   #6
Camp-N-Nut

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5348.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	240.9 KB
ID:	132847hey grumpy. Here is a picture of the spare mounted underneath. Fits perfect. Thanks again!
Old 03-25-2017, 08:18 PM   #7
DW's 401(k) Plan

While I was "visiting" the 3010DS this afternoon, I figured I would take a few shots of where my spare was and what kept it up there. Well, y'all have got me wondering now. I guess I'll have to wait until I bring it home in 3 weeks to really crawl underneath and see what's going on.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 08:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp-n-nut View Post
Attachment 132847hey grumpy. Here is a picture of the spare mounted underneath. Fits perfect. Thanks again!
camp-n-nut, if you look at DeGrinch's photo, you'll see a chain in the center hub area. Thats a safty chain in case the nut/threaded bolt goes south. The chain goes thru the hub area, wraps over the frame member, and back thru a wheel hole. Ones supplied usually have a link clip at each end to fasten the ends.
This all prevents the spare from bouncing down the road if the nut/bolt gives way.
You might want to add that to yours for safety reasons.
Grumpy

Old 03-26-2017, 09:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtlm17 View Post
Spare is one less worry while out on the road in unknown places. If you get a flat call roadside repair. They come out and install your spare and your on your way.
Problem is that it could take quite a bit of extra time to get a tire replacement if needed. I speak from the experience of three blowouts. Having a spare was good!

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 09:19 AM   #10

The spare tire under my Cedar Creek is held on place with a Winch cable just like is under most pickup trucks
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 09:33 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtlm17 View Post
Let me know how that works out for you on a Sunday on some back road in Kansas, or on the Alcan. If your lucky they'll be out in 5-8 hours.
Also, unknown to a lot of you with "roadside assistance". many companies that respond will not change the inner dual tire if thats the one that goes on you.
It's up to the individual company as to what they do or won't do. Your "roadside assistance" plan has no control over what the responding service does or won't do.
Just sayin...
Grumpy

Old 03-26-2017, 09:53 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmor View Post
Problem is that it could take quite a bit of extra time to get a tire replacement if needed. I speak from the experience of three blowouts. Having a spare was good!
Exactly couldn't agree more.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:59 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy0374 View Post
Let me know how that works out for you on a Sunday on some back road in Kansas, or on the Alcan. If your lucky they'll be out in 5-8 hours.
Also, unknown to a lot of you with "roadside assistance". many companies that respond will not change the inner dual tire if thats the one that goes on you.
It's up to the individual company as to what they do or won't do. Your "roadside assistance" plan has no control over what the responding service does or won't do.
Just sayin...
Grumpy
That's exactly the point. Depending where you are it could be quite difficult to just get someone to change a flat tire. Could you imagine if you needed to buy a spare in the middle of nowhere? At least if you have a spare that is the same as what you have on your rig that is one less hurdle to deal with.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:42 PM   #14

Spare tire mount

Last year, I had to call GS roadside to change an inner right rear on Sunday. I received good service, took about an 1HR15mins. I feel it is $129 per year worth it. GS roadside have changed a trailer tire at the CG on Sunday and truck tire at long term parking at airport, Friday afternoon. My 2cents.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mount, tire