Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2012, 08:03 PM   #21

Thanks. I figured that out from some schematics I have. Probably will wire the 12v ignition feed up to the coach battery like the latest models.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:20 PM   #22
Coachmen Adrenaline

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATVer
Thanks. I figured that out from some schematics I have. Probably will wire the 12v ignition feed up to the coach battery like the latest models.
If you do so, make certain to put a diode in the circuit to prevent the coach being powered up from the chassis battery through the vehicle ignition. We actually have a diode on each ignition line to prevent unwanted flow in both directions.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:54 PM   #23

A diode is another way. I was planning to use a 12v relay left over from another project. The relay coil would be connected to the ignition switch and feed the radio thru a set of normally open contacts on the relay. A set of normally closed contacts would be used to feed from the coach battery. Since only one set of contacts can be closed at the same time, there would be no possibility to cross feed the batteries. The second 12v feed to the radio would remain connected to the chassis battery since it needs to remain on constantly so the radio doesn't loose it's memory as I always shutoff the main coach battery when not needed.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:41 AM   #24
Coachmen Adrenaline

sounds like you know what you're doing!
jamiller45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:39 PM   #25

I am picking up our new 2300 on the 18th of february and was asking sales the same question. Does the cab stereo cd/dvd/gps/ipod/ whew!!! when plugged into shore power or running of the genny utilize or charge the coach battery or the chassis battery?? two questions, and yes it is a 2012
vacouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:25 PM   #26

I have a 2012, built in November, and the cab radio is fed from the chassis battery. It's my understanding that very recent builds are fed from the coach battery. An easy way to tell is if the ignition needs to be on accessory for the radio to work then it's powered from the chassis battery. When plugged into shore power both batteries are charged by the converter. I have verified this through the electric schematics. On a separate subject, mine did not come with a remote but you can buy it for $9.99 from JensenRV.com. That way you don't have to keep climbing down into the cab to change volume or channels.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:19 PM   #27

Mine better have the remote but thanks for the info , good to know. I have to look at my build month.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:17 PM   #28

If you have GPS you must have the optional navigation system so it probably will have a remote.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:41 AM   #29
Coachmen Adrenaline

vacouple, if your unit has the new touch screen with gps and ipod, you WILL have a remote. Your radio is powered from the coach batteries. When plugged in or running off generator, the battery voltage levels will either be charging or maintained depending on how "full" the batteries are. Once the battery control box reads the coach batteries as full, it then charges or trickle charges the chassis battery based on it's voltage level. If you have more specific questions as to the operation of the new stereo please feel free to pm me. I know it has many features and could be a bit overwhelming.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:42 AM   #30

That was the most complete awesome reply I have gotten so far ....even from the dealer who knew te-te. Thanks , and I will take you up on the offer at some point I am sure.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:48 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiller45 View Post
vacouple, if your unit has the new touch screen with gps and ipod, you WILL have a remote. Your radio is powered from the coach batteries. When plugged in or running off generator, the battery voltage levels will either be charging or maintained depending on how "full" the batteries are. Once the battery control box reads the coach batteries as full, it then charges or trickle charges the chassis battery based on it's voltage level. If you have more specific questions as to the operation of the new stereo please feel free to pm me. I know it has many features and could be a bit overwhelming.
After all that and my previous reply... does it float charge like a intelli-charger or just do a full charge and then shut off until amperage drops and then restarts? Also what kind of insider are you if I can ask?? Just curious.....
Old 02-15-2012, 11:13 AM   #32
Coachmen Adrenaline

Basically here's how it works. The battery isolator is waiting to see a voltage over 13.2 or 13.5 or close which means the batteries are full or charging. When it sees this voltage it opens the solenoid, allowing current to flow to the chassis battery if it needs to charge. If or when the chassis battery is full, it will just receive a trickle charge to maintain itself. The isolator also reads the voltages going the other direction...when it reads the vehicle is running or the chassis battery is in a charging state(from alternator) it will open the solenoid and allow the house batteries to charge from the alternator.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:28 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiller45 View Post
Basically here's how it works. The battery isolator is waiting to see a voltage over 13.2 or 13.5 or close which means the batteries are full or charging. When it sees this voltage it opens the solenoid, allowing current to flow to the chassis battery if it needs to charge. If or when the chassis battery is full, it will just receive a trickle charge to maintain itself. The isolator also reads the voltages going the other direction...when it reads the vehicle is running or the chassis battery is in a charging state(from alternator) it will open the solenoid and allow the house batteries to charge from the alternator.
That was some good engineering by someone. So I assume that the isolator is inline instead of parallel to the solenoid. And can I also assume that the solenoid is bi-directional and there is only one solenoid?
Old 02-17-2012, 06:53 AM   #34
Coachmen Adrenaline

Precision circuits designed this for us. I can't and won't take the credit. They are very good. It sounds like you are pretty in tune with electronics yourself.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:58 AM   #35
Coachmen Adrenaline

And it's actually a dc contactor, not a solenoid. Most ppl wouldn't know the difference. There is only one.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:41 AM   #36

I used to do commercial refrigeration and a lot of controls have gone to PLC low voltage controls. Also I have a pretty good understanding of dc and ac voltage from practical and school experience, I just get confused by all the new gadgets and find it hard to keep up. I also picked up my motorhome today and it has the MAGNADYNE M4 and it did not come with a book but I downloaded it from the web. I am a little confused as to the gps saying it is preloaded but to remove the SD card from the back of the unit and send it to the factory?? Did you guys already do this and if so is there a SD card in the rear of the unit? And how do you update the interface to stay current with new maps etc? See...... you knew you were going to get tapped for info LOL........
Old 02-20-2012, 07:17 AM   #37
Coachmen Adrenaline

Ok. I'm on my phone so I will try to answer your questions without forgetting one. The book you are asking for about the radio is actually on a cd which should have come in the same bag with the remote and some other things. There is a dongle on the back of the unit which holds an SD card. There IS an SD card already loaded in the m4 units and it is up to date coming from magnadyne. Your gps should be functioning properly from the second we connect power in your coach. As for updates, I will get the correct answer today from them, so I don't give out an incorrect step.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:23 AM   #38
Coachmen Adrenaline

I don't believe you actually have to send in your card, you should be able to download the update from the iGO website, but I want to be certain on this. Will get back to you...
Old 02-21-2012, 11:20 AM   #39
Coachmen Adrenaline

Vacouple,
the following site is the place to get updates for your gps system. After registering, you can choose the magndayne m4 model and then follow the instructions. After you have updated your SD card, put it back into the radio and power up. The radio should recognize the update automatically. www.naviextras.com
Old 02-21-2012, 12:50 PM   #40

So is there an easy wat to get at the SD card on the back of the unit? Or do i have to use an extra card....also i did find the cd , it has some asian language on it and of course just my luck I dont read asian. So.... i put it in my laptop and lo and behold the info for the radio. Everything from the dealer was just in a big ziplock bag and presented to me that way. I was told or advised to read ALL the info.