Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2017, 07:36 PM   #1

SS 2300 Chevy towing a CR-V is not fun

I would brag to friends how easy my motor home is to drive. It still is until I connect my CR-V and then it becomes a bit scary. It seems to wander requiring near constant steering wheel correction.
Here is my set-up:
Ready brake elite tow bar
Demco tow bracket
On the SS:
ride rite airbags at 60 PSI
Rear tires at 80 PSI
Front tires at 65 PSI

For those that tow with their 2300s, does this set-up seem reasonable? Should I be shopping for an after market stabilizer or would that affect handling when not towing?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Stan
Old 10-22-2017, 06:41 AM   #2
2014 SunSeeker 2300

I’m just guessing here as I only have experience with another tow bar but I would guess, key word here, that your CRV does not track very well in the truck grooves like your SS does causing it to ‘hunt’ for a side to run on. In other words one side or the other of the CRV rides in the trench and is constantly changing sides. Again, only guessing your issue as I had no trouble pulling our CRV with a smaller MH and then a 40’ DP. Maybe others have other ideas. Good luck.
Old 10-22-2017, 10:40 AM   #3
geezer with gadgets

What year is your CR-V? If I remember correctly, Honda changed the transmission in them a few years ago and they are no longer towable four wheels down.

We have a different Sunseeker, but we have towed with a tow dolly and just recently started towing a Jeep GC four wheels down and have never had a problem like you described.

Hope you figure it out soon

Good luck.

Sent from my Atari 2600
2011 Sunseeker 3170ds "Ladybug"
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee TOAD
Days camped 2015: 37; 2016: 66; 2017: 86 2018: 57 2019: 30
757Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 01:45 PM   #4

I have a 2860 on the Ford chassis and it tows my CR-V great. But now I tow a Jeep Wrangler and it is more like you describe. Well, it seems that the Jeep is pushing the rear of the RV around. I should mention I had to get a 6" hi-lo bar to raise my towbar up for the height of the Jeep. That might contribute as well. I also wonder if it doesn't have something to do with the weight of the toad compared to the weight of the RV. You have a lighter RV so the lighter car affects it like my Jeep does my RV. Just a guess.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:58 PM   #5

Thanks for your replies. My CR-V is a 2007 so it can be safely towed 4 down.
By all accounts the car should not be causing this effect on the 2300.
I talked with the owner of the Company that makes the Ready Brute Elite tow bar and he believes it wasn’t installed correctly and has set-up a service call at a different dealer but it’s about 170 miles away. I don’t look forward to that trip but will make it soon and report back my findings.
Stan
swuebbels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 03:04 PM   #6
2014 SunSeeker 2300

Quote:
Originally Posted by swuebbels View Post
Thanks for your replies. My CR-V is a 2007 so it can be safely towed 4 down.

By all accounts the car should not be causing this effect on the 2300.

I talked with the owner of the Company that makes the Ready Brute Elite tow bar and he believes it wasn’t installed correctly and has set-up a service call at a different dealer but it’s about 170 miles away. I don’t look forward to that trip but will make it soon and report back my findings.

Stan

I hope you find joy after making that trip. Little things can be the worst to find and solve. Good luck!
Old 10-23-2017, 04:32 PM   #7

Your rig should tow that CRV easily.
I don't feel my Tacoma at all except accel and decel with a 2251 (same box size I think)
Something amiss.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:57 PM   #8

I've NEVER, since my first motorhome in 1977 ever had a tow that I couldn't tell was back there, usually by the wander it caused in the motorhome. The wander isn't usually very bad, but noticeable.
AWilson was on one of the reasons, in part. The tow car is never gonna tow like a trailer, so as it wanders, it has a pretty good, long lever with the distance between the towed, and the rear axle. One thing I've found to help is a hitch tightener to take the slack out of the receiver. Another is a Panard rod on the rear axle to keep it from shifting. The last, get a good alignment, front & rear, with emphasis on the front caster setting. Well, one more, get familiar with the handling.
Toyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 10:35 AM   #9

My Taco doesn't wander at all. (31" off road tires and lifted slightly)
An 11-16K rig shouldn't be bossed around by a 3- 4k rig unless there is something wrong in the setup.
I do use a hitch tightener to keep the receiver tight.
I use an old school style solid towbar also.
Level towbar.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:38 PM   #10

I have flat towed our 2014 Honda CRV with a 37' Gas Motorhome and now our 40' DP and have never had any issues - don't know its there on either of the motorhomes. I have blue ox baseplate and a ready brute elite tow bar. Always made sure the bar was within the 2 inch high/low limit.
Royston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 05:08 PM   #11

re

I tow a Smartfor2 with my 2251 and if I didn't have the backup camera on i wouldn't even know it was there.
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 05:18 PM   #12
Senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royston View Post
I have flat towed our 2014 Honda CRV with a 37' Gas Motorhome and now our 40' DP and have never had any issues - don't know its there on either of the motorhomes. I have blue ox baseplate and a ready brute elite tow bar. Always made sure the bar was within the 2 inch high/low limit.
I tow a 2014 CRV with our Forester MBS 2401W Sprinter based motor home with no problems like you are experiencing. As others have suggested check that tow bar is level and that wheel alignment is correct.
sailski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 06:04 PM   #13

We tow a 2012 Jeep Liberty with a 2500TS with no problems. As others attest, they are towing CR-Vs with no problems. It is doubtful that it is the TV unless the hitch is loose or there is a broken weld (We had that happen on another MH). The hitch arm locking pins may also have enough play that will allow the toad to wander. If your hitch is within level limits, I would suggest having your toad steering checked for a loose tie rod, steering box, or steering problem. And the last guess would be the CR-V rear-wheel alignment. If the rear wheels are out of alignment, the toad would not be tracking straight. With 4-wheel independent suspension, the rear also requires periodic alignments.

Let us know what you come up with.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 07:00 PM   #14

I guess some are luckier than others. But if you can drive your towed without correcting for road undulations, wind & etc, I'd say you are towing a very unusual vehicle. Now, add constant correction to your motorhome, that transmits to the towed.....If that little wander, at the end of a 15-20' lever doesn't affect the motorhome I'd say you are not really attuned to your vehicle. The wander isn't necessarily very extreme, but it's there. I've pulled 5000# behind a Sprinter van, and I've towed a 1600# Suzuki behind my 36,000# Foretravel, I could always recognize the difference when disconnected.
Toyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 07:14 PM   #15

Do you have an air dam on the bottom rear end of the RV? Wind currents from displacement can really make a difference. The air moving under your RV can be getting compressed and interacting with the air moving around the sides and top. If memory serves, the displacement through the bottom causes greater wind speeds than the sides and top. The vacuum caused by movement of the RV influences turbulence, which may be what the vehicle being towed is demonstrating. The turbulence will be felt by you in the RV steering. I know when something is real close behind me when I am pulling my travel trailer. An rear observation camera confirmed it. I am amazed at how close some drivers will get to a rig.
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 01:22 PM   #16

I tow a 2015 Jeep Wrangler 4 dr with our 2014 Sunseeker 2860 ford chassis. I use Blue Ox hitch and plate, no need to adjust less then 1" vertical difference. Airbags at 60lb, front tires 70 lb, rear tires 80lbs. Have towed from Centreville MD to New Orleans with no wiggle problems, same with multiple trips to Florida.
tjasick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing