Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2015, 08:37 PM   #1

Start up shopping list for a newbie

Picking up our 3050s in a month. Can y'all share the must have shopping list to get us started? Anything and everything. Great spices, pots and pans... you name it. Guide us on the right stuff so we don't waste money. Thanks.
trnarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 09:04 PM   #2

We are awaiting delivery on our unit. Read the forum and look at the exterior things first. Hoses, mirrors, backup cameras, weight distribution hitch and anti sway bars, etc. The inside stuff can wait. You can spend a ton of money! Inside from the things we are purchasing that are essential to towing and getting started, I purchased just a few things for the kitchen, such as can and bottle openers, potato peeler, chip clips, and grater. Other things I have pulled from my kitchen drawers - extra measuring cups, spoons and spatulas, etc. I also purchased a set of four place settings of silver ware. We have pots and pans and some old Corel dishes. I pulled some dish cloths and tea towels from the kitchen. I will do the same with sheets, towels, and quilts. I want to get acclimated and determine what else we need for organization. I will purchase permanent items as time goes on. I need to function in the space first. We pop up camped for years and have an understanding of the basics we need. We also will take the electric skillet and crock pot, but not necessarily that first work-out-the-kinks weekend. Our dealer has a camp ground next to their store front and they want us to camp there the first weekend, which we think is a fabulous idea.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 09:12 PM   #3

Get a good quality water hose, water pressure regulator, wheel chocks, and consider some sort of surge/power protection. Progressive Industries is a very popular choice around here. Progressive Industries
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 09:43 PM   #4

For item inside the trailer look at the dollar store. If you plan on doing a lot of traveling consider plastic plates and glasses. Lighter weight and less likely to break.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 09:57 PM   #5
Site Team

After being near a tornado a few years back, a weather radio is a must for us.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 10:09 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscampsin View Post
Get a good quality water hose, water pressure regulator, wheel chocks, and consider some sort of surge/power protection. Progressive Industries is a very popular choice around here. Progressive Industries
This... fresh water hose should be white drinking/marine hose. Can get hose, pressure regulator and heavy duty wheel chocks at Wal-Mart. We usually get approx 50' of water hose and sewer hose. Rhino is best sewer hose, get a clear elbow so you can tell if tank is running clear after dumping. If you don't have black tank flush then get a tank wand and enough hose to get to the toilet. We used to lay a tarp down to protect the trailer (we had a side access panel but you could run through a window too). As stated get a surge protector (either portable or hard wired) that has over and under protection. Either surge guard or progressive brand is good. Lynx levelers are what we use to level our fiver from side to side.

Inside the rig, we stock dishes, pots and pans, Tupperware, glasses, even tin foil and baggies just like we would at home. We even keep separate linens, meds and toiletries in the trailer so that we only have to take clothes and food back and forth. I keep sugar in tight sealed containers, Pam spray, and salt and pepper in the trailer. Any other spices are brought on an as needed basis. I don't leave food things in the trailer to decrease rodent invasion possibilities.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 10:17 PM   #7

If you don't have leveling jacks, get some leveling blocks. We use Lynx Levelers. You need at least 20. Our 3100 sits about 2 inches low in the front so even if the campsite is dead level we have to use some.

If you have levelers, you'll still need some boards or pads for the levelers. Even if you are on asphalt some places require them so the jacks don't crush their pavement.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 10:20 PM   #8

We have lots of old dish towels. We use them to separate cookware to cut down on rattles.

A refrigerator/freezer thermometer will give you comfort that the refrigerator is doing its job. Later get an oven thermometer if you plan to use the oven.

A few long butane lighters, or long-stemmed matches to light the oven. It can be done with regular matches if you don't mind burning the hair off your knuckles.

Adapters for 15 amp to 30 amp and 50 amp to 30 amp. The dog bone style are the best but you can use the basic plug adapters.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 11:16 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Also a basic tool kit is handy to have along.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 11:55 PM   #10

As someone mentioned above I believe, a shore power surge protector. Our 3170 stays plugged in here at our house when not in use and it always has a surge strip connected between my camper and the wall plug in. When we go on the road we always bring it with us.

Toolbox is kept in the basement storage along with a full field medical kit.

I also keep a jumpbox in the basement storage also. I know that the likely hood of needing it is slim due to all the batteries on board and various ways of charging them, but better safe than sorry. Would hate to be out in the middle of no mans land and the engine won't crank.

We have a CB and HAM radio in our unit in case cell reception is not available and there is an emergency.

A firearm with lots of ammo

That's it for me I think

2014 Sunseeker 3170ds

Global Wedding Photographer
chrismbrock2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 11:40 AM   #11

X2 on the progressive ind power protect.
X2 on the med kit. I have two identical kits (home/travel).

Any mission critical parts:
spare drawer latches
spare water strainer
Spare gasket for the water filter (lowes)
If the water system has any issues, well, you don't have water.

DW would say stackable pots and pans.

We have six item areas:
Permenently loaded in bay(s) (tools, hoses, parts, chairs, etc.)
Permenently load inside coach (silverware, cups, cookware, fan)
Removable bay items (basically items that could freeze, bug spray, sewer treatment)
Long term in coach replenishables (shave kits, salt, paperplates, mac& cheese, etc.)
Short term non food (med bag, clothes, dvd, etc.)
Short term pershibles (bread, milk, meat, etc.)

Consider inventorying items as you put them in the coach. I put a PC on the garage work bench and ID&locate all incoming items. ya, I'm that guy....

And ya, the list(s) are laminated too....
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 11:56 AM   #12

Holy Cow... lists are our middle name. Wife and I are both pretty OCD... I've got checklists, pack-n-go lists, inventory lists, wants lists, needs lists.. you name it. PM me and I'll be happy to share any of it.
Old 02-23-2015, 12:22 PM   #13

Ham Radio

I'm wondering what model HAM radio and style antenna you use in your RV? I'm just getting into the HAM radio world and I'm curious what the options are when mobile.
Sun.ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 12:31 PM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Progressive industries surge guard.
Digital multimeter.

2 of the most important items!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 04:35 PM   #15

Love the way Hoglou breaks things up ... but let me confess we store a lot of the trailer stuff in the area of a spare room in between monthly trips. This is my area ... inside the trailer:

Our dishes & silverware bought @ goodwill, great traveling large coffee cups & a few extra Tervis tumblers & lots of plastic tubs (measured a few to fit in the cabinets) to load / empty camper. Dishes are moved inside to the dishwasher when we get home (sorry ... extra clean needed so I like to empty all the food cabinets upon arrival home to prevent bugs & rodents), a coffee pot (Kahlua & Baileys stored with coffee), a couple pots that can go in microwave or on the stove (yes...glass - store with clean towels in between).

Our disposables in the coach always includes a pad & pen to write down what I need to add that I forgot or is running low before next trip.

Use six pack holders from your favorite beer to store & haul some of these - we have one with sunscreens, one with extra bug repellant (to add to the Thermacell if needed) & one with all liquid soap & first aid items (I live in FL & left them inside ...got too hot & leaked) & separate shower bags for each of us individually stocked (best bag from camping world on line... holds shower shoes too).

A collapsible clothes hamper is full when we get home, filled back up with the clean towels, sheets to bring back out to the camper when ready to go. Dog also has her rabies certificate, traveling meds & food supplies separate as well.
Most importantly ...don't forget the beer

Terri & Joe + Boont & Tasha
Camping a long weekend every month or so since May 2013 in our cute 21FBRS MicroLite to practice for retirement while living here in Florida
Joe is retired.... next camper ordered.... getting ready to change this signature really soon!
Life Without Whine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 05:19 PM   #16

Shopping list

Go to your local thrift store (Goodwill etc) for kitchen supplies etc. I found indoor/outdoor rugs, plastic tablecloths, laundry baskets and bins for storage. Make sure to check the fittings on your tank hoses and get good quality hoses. The cheap one that came with my RV fell apart on first use. Carry an extra 25 foot drinking water hose and extra extension power cord for those campgrounds where the hookups are a long way from the camper. One of my most used accessories is a pair of rubber "gator gloves" that lets me tighten up water connections with just my hands. Also, I don't pack and unpack. There are camper cothes, equipment, food basics etc that stay in and are refilled in the camper. Have fun - I am!!!
Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 05:45 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
For item inside the trailer look at the dollar store. If you plan on doing a lot of traveling consider plastic plates and glasses. Lighter weight and less likely to break.
Yes, We go camping to have fun, not do house work!

Never ever and I do me NEVER forget to pack the credit card.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:00 PM   #18

Med Kit

The medication kit is so standard to me (I am a retired ER Nurse) that I didn't even mention it. If anyone is interested in what I carry in mine, I will post. Nothing is prescription. Most obtained generic at WalMart.
Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 06:05 PM   #19

I forgot to say congrats! If this is your first you are in for a treat..

ok to answer your question. Power protection as mention is required, suggest ordering it now (ouch I know). Cheap water pressure aka camping world (suggest a Watts regulator as a project later). Stinky slinky (recommend the rhino flex), the hose support is nice but not a requirement.

Go to lowes or HD and buy two 4pack master lock magnum (1-1/2 L, 13/16 W) locks keyed alike. The key code is on the back. This lock will hold the progressive ind 30 amp external surge protect and a cable. I went this way so one key takes care of everything we would want to lock up at camp during our excursions (sometimes over night).

Oxegenator shower head, its a cult thing.

Protectall if you have never tried it (wally world).

Pizza stone if you got the oven to disperse the heat when cooking.

Once it here consider if you want or how to cover the front windows. We cover the windshield and door windows from the inside and utlize the cab space for storage.

Consider driveway camping the first weekend. you may want to run the furnace during the day before as there will be some residual paint/oils that need to burn off, no worries.

We spent the first firday night measuring the availble storage, and saturday we were at wally world looking for containers, bays, cabinets, over the sofa, under the front seat, everywhere.

Flush a little water (only) through the toliet, take a shower. this will be the last time your sewer bay is truly decontaminated, get used to how it operates with the new slinky. Thus far it is no different then car wash run off. After that the slinky is stinky.

We found keeping everything in some sort of box reduced rattles and made access easier. Plus simplfied inventory.

Good luck....
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 10:24 PM   #20

You guys (and gals) are awesome. If anyone has more, keep 'em coming.
trnarg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags