Old 04-09-2014, 07:39 PM   #1
RV Nomad

Starting the generator

I have been running the generator on my 2013 2500ts about once a month per the manual. I can get it to start, but it sure isn't easy. It takes forever to prime and finally start. Once its started, it will run perfect. Is it common for these units to take so long to prime and crank until it starts, or am I looking at a possible problem?

Old 04-09-2014, 07:46 PM   #2

I run mine every two weeks. It likes to be primed about 20 seconds then fires right up and runs great

Old 04-09-2014, 07:57 PM   #3
Average Joe

Mine takes a lot, too. I prime and crank 2 or 3 times before it fires. I ran mine every 3 to 4 weeks over the winter also. I believe the fuel line must not stay full after sitting.

Southern Maryland and Beyond!

MrJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:30 PM   #4

I HAVE A 2008 3100 SS IT NEEDS TO Be primed a lot before it starts. But it has always started. Sounds like there al like that. but as long as it starts. that's the main thing.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:05 PM   #5

It would seem to me that all this starting is hard on the generators. I disconnect the fuel line and run it out of gas or drain the fuel bowl for the offseason. I do this for everything from mowers to atvs to snowmobiles to collector cars to motorcycles. Use Stabile and Stratron in the gas tanks. Have never had a problem with anything. Engines always run the same as when I put them away. Off course everything is stored inside which helps.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:07 AM   #6

It's not only a gas issue, the Onans should be started and exercised when in storage. I never let mine go more then 3 weeks.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:47 AM   #7
RV Nomad

I do believe the Onan manual says to run it at least once per month for an hour or 2. It also states to prime it for 30 seconds before starting. That is what I do, but I still end up priming it 4 or 5 more times for 10 to 20 seconds each time. It will spark up a few times before I finally get it running. Obviously a fuel delivery issue. It is a long way from the fuel tank to the generator, so I guess thats the issue. I'm going to experiment with priming it for longer periods of time to see if it helps.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:12 PM   #8

Prime till light goes off. Press start for 4 sec. Prime again, start. Works for mine.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:40 AM   #9
RV Nomad

Garrette, How long does it take for the light to go out? I tried it, and held the switch for over 2 minutes, light never went out. Still had to prime it 2 more times for about 20 seconds. Started a little quicker than usual though.
Old 04-12-2014, 01:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgzx View Post
Garrette, How long does it take for the light to go out? I tried it, and held the switch for over 2 minutes, light never went out. Still had to prime it 2 more times for about 20 seconds. Started a little quicker than usual though.

Now I do need to say that I have had to replace the fuel pump, under Onan warrenty. I hold the prime button down for only 10 -15 seconds. You may need a new fuel pump.

Tags
generator