Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2014, 06:39 PM   #1
RV Nomad

Starting the generator

I have been running the generator on my 2013 2500ts about once a month per the manual. I can get it to start, but it sure isn't easy. It takes forever to prime and finally start. Once its started, it will run perfect. Is it common for these units to take so long to prime and crank until it starts, or am I looking at a possible problem?
xgzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:46 PM   #2

I run mine every two weeks. It likes to be primed about 20 seconds then fires right up and runs great
Old 04-09-2014, 06:57 PM   #3
Average Joe

Mine takes a lot, too. I prime and crank 2 or 3 times before it fires. I ran mine every 3 to 4 weeks over the winter also. I believe the fuel line must not stay full after sitting.

Southern Maryland and Beyond!

MrJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:30 PM   #4

I HAVE A 2008 3100 SS IT NEEDS TO Be primed a lot before it starts. But it has always started. Sounds like there al like that. but as long as it starts. that's the main thing.
Happyholidayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:05 PM   #5

It would seem to me that all this starting is hard on the generators. I disconnect the fuel line and run it out of gas or drain the fuel bowl for the offseason. I do this for everything from mowers to atvs to snowmobiles to collector cars to motorcycles. Use Stabile and Stratron in the gas tanks. Have never had a problem with anything. Engines always run the same as when I put them away. Off course everything is stored inside which helps.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:07 PM   #6

It's not only a gas issue, the Onans should be started and exercised when in storage. I never let mine go more then 3 weeks.
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:47 AM   #7
RV Nomad

I do believe the Onan manual says to run it at least once per month for an hour or 2. It also states to prime it for 30 seconds before starting. That is what I do, but I still end up priming it 4 or 5 more times for 10 to 20 seconds each time. It will spark up a few times before I finally get it running. Obviously a fuel delivery issue. It is a long way from the fuel tank to the generator, so I guess thats the issue. I'm going to experiment with priming it for longer periods of time to see if it helps.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:12 PM   #8

Prime till light goes off. Press start for 4 sec. Prime again, start. Works for mine.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 08:40 AM   #9
RV Nomad

Garrette, How long does it take for the light to go out? I tried it, and held the switch for over 2 minutes, light never went out. Still had to prime it 2 more times for about 20 seconds. Started a little quicker than usual though.
Old 04-12-2014, 12:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgzx View Post
Garrette, How long does it take for the light to go out? I tried it, and held the switch for over 2 minutes, light never went out. Still had to prime it 2 more times for about 20 seconds. Started a little quicker than usual though.

Now I do need to say that I have had to replace the fuel pump, under Onan warrenty. I hold the prime button down for only 10 -15 seconds. You may need a new fuel pump.
Old 04-12-2014, 05:00 PM   #11

Starting the generator

I would not recommend priming for 2 minutes. I've never had my light go out when priming. When the engine is not running the pump has the power to push fuel past the needle and seat in the carb causing you to flood the engine and making it even harder to start. Unless Onan has changed in the last few years the starter gear is plastic and will wear down over time. Depending on the temp you may not need to prime. I never primed mine in the warm months, I would crank it for a few seconds, stop, then hit it again and it fired right up.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:16 PM   #12

Starting the generator

Here you go guys. Started mine today for maintenance. Press prime, thousand one, thousand two, thousand three, red light off, press prime, thousand one, thousand two, thousand three, red light goes off, press start, Genny starts and runs smooth.. Warm up time 5 min. Turn on AC, unit stumbles for a bit than picks up and runs smooth. Ran for 40min under load. Let cool down for about 5 minutes without load. Turned genny off.
I did use fuel stabilizer in over winter but have been camping this season. I have 34 hours on the genny and as stated earlier, had the fuel pump replaced last year, under Onan warranty
Old 04-13-2014, 09:40 AM   #13
RV Nomad

Interesting that your light goes out after only a few seconds, and some don't go out at all. I can hear my pump running while I prime the system, so I know it is working. I have been running mine on a daily basis since I started this thread, we are getting ready for our first trip of the season, and it is starting up quicker than it did during the winter on a monthly basis. Weather here is warmer now, so a combination of that and only running it monthly had to be the issue. Winter was cold as he!! here this year, I should have been running it more often, lesson learned!
Old 04-13-2014, 10:14 AM   #14

Also important to run under load. I let my air conditioner run
2015 Keystone Bullet Travel Trailer
2016 F-150 Lariat with Auto Trailer Backup
Dog = Morki (Yorkie-Maltese) - Zoe
Malabarbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 12:16 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgzx View Post
Interesting that your light goes out after only a few seconds, and some don't go out at all. I can hear my pump running while I prime the system, so I know it is working. I have been running mine on a daily basis since I started this thread, we are getting ready for our first trip of the season, and it is starting up quicker than it did during the winter on a monthly basis. Weather here is warmer now, so a combination of that and only running it monthly had to be the issue. Winter was cold as he!! here this year, I should have been running it more often, lesson learned!

Did you put fuel stabilizer in the fuel tank, top it off, run the genny and than store? I believe this is a must to keep water, gum, rust from forming. I do not use my RV after end of November till the end of march. But I do give it attention, include running the genny.
I have been toying with putting in a fuel cutoff valve. I could just run the fuel out, like I do with my bike. Anyone done this yet?
Old 04-13-2014, 01:35 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrette View Post
Did you put fuel stabilizer in the fuel tank, top it off, run the genny and than store? I believe this is a must to keep water, gum, rust from forming. I do not use my RV after end of November till the end of march. But I do give it attention, include running the genny.
I have been toying with putting in a fuel cutoff valve. I could just run the fuel out, like I do with my bike. Anyone done this yet?
There should be no need for stabilizer. I never used it. The generator should be started and exercised every couple of weeks even in storage.
Old 04-13-2014, 05:15 PM   #17
RV Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrette View Post
To be honest, I have never used stabilizer in any of my toys. Bike, fuel cutoff valve and ran dry, same with my snowmobile and ZTR mower. Never had any problems starting any of them when the time came. Your mention of a cutoff valve is a good idea. I haven't taken a look at the fuel line coming in, but shouldn't be too hard to plumb in a small valve. I'll be looking at that at the end of the season.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:21 AM   #18

Not meaning to steal this thread. Gen on a Coach is new to us. I see on the switch that prime is in the "Stop" position. I assume when priming we hold the switch in the stop mode for 20 seconds then go to start in order to fire up the Gen? Also is this done each time you start it or only on cold starts.

Thanks.
2018 Coachmen Chaparral 338 TSIK
2016 (Seasonal Site) Chariot Park Model
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
Jmsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:15 AM   #19

Starting the generator

The switch is dual purpose. To start, hold switch to prime until light comes on. Then press start and hold until generator starts. Don't hold too long (20 seconds?). If generator doesn't start, re-prime and start again.

Prime each time you start.

To stop running generator, momentarily hold switch toward stop/prime.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:44 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RvBill3 View Post
The switch is dual purpose. To start, hold switch to prime until light comes on. Then press start and hold until generator starts. Don't hold too long (20 seconds?). If generator doesn't start, re-prime and start again.

Prime each time you start.

To stop running generator, momentarily hold switch toward stop/prime.

Simple enough... Thanks RvBill..
2018 Coachmen Chaparral 338 TSIK
2016 (Seasonal Site) Chariot Park Model
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
Jmsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator