Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2015, 12:14 AM   #1

Steering Stabilizer and Alignment

First, I want to thanks bclemens for all the info and support. I finally picked my 2015 3010DS on Thursday.

Since I pick it up on one of the coldest windy day in Toronto, after I drive it home I start to think about adding a "Steering Stabilizer".

As a newbie, I have a few questions.

First do we need one for the 2014/2015 E450 chassis, compare to older model, does ford already put a steering damper in it?

Second, if I choose to install one, should I do it now or wait till the break-in and do it with the alignment?

Third, would this mod affect the Ford warranty on the chassis?

Last, which brands of Steering Stabilizer would you recommend.

Thanks
karcarkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 08:24 AM   #2

I recently purchased the Safe T Plus, and a Henderson rear trac bar. Haven't installed them yet, but am interested to see how they improve the drive. Under normal conditions I feel my 3170 drives really well. I got the rear trac bar for the windy condition days and for when trucks are passing by. The Safe T Plus is suppose to help with the over steering you can feel with those conditions. Also, it's good to have on in case of a blow out. Glad I hadn't put them on yet because we're trading in on a 3010, which will still work.
Brian217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 09:09 AM   #3

On my 2011 3170 two of the best things I did was the alignment and the roadmaster steering stabilizer. The steering stabilizer is an easy install I did mine first then the alignment. I run my air bags at 60 to 70 psi witch helps keep the coach stable in winds and trucks passing so for me I don't feel the need for a rear trac bar.
lbrunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 02:59 PM   #4

On my 2013 Forester 3011 I first adjusted air pressure in tires and air bags and noticed a small improvement with the addition of a rear stabilizer we got about a 50% better control. Next I got it aligned to the specs from this forum got to 80% better control lastly I had a Safe-T-Steer installed. The alignment and steering control were done by Bob's Wheel Alignment in Chatsworth, California. I would recommend this guy to anyone with a Class C motorhome built on the Ford E chassis he uses his skill and expertise to fine tune the steering on mine so that it is now very comfortable to drive in all situations.
campingtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 01:37 PM   #5

I have a 2013 Sunseeker 2860DS on the Ford E-450 chassis. My unit came with a front end stablilizer (as well as rear air bags). To see if your unit has a stabilizer, bend down in front of the unit, the stabilizer looks like a shock, extended horizontally from about the middle and extending to the left as you look at it from the front.
KQ2N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 03:10 PM   #6

Do steering stabilizers come as standard equipment or as an option on Sunseekers? Specifically 3050S models? Would like to know if we will need to purchase separately when we get our new Sunseeker, as everyone says they help a lot.
Thanks
Toad: 2014 Honda CR-V AWD
GO DUCKS !!
Jim & Diana (and 3 cats)
JimOneil43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 05:21 PM   #7

The steering stabilizer is an upgrade. You remove the ford factory one and replace with the upgraded one.
lbrunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 08:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimOneil43 View Post
Do steering stabilizers come as standard equipment or as an option on Sunseekers? Specifically 3050S models? Would like to know if we will need to purchase separately when we get our new Sunseeker, as everyone says they help a lot.
Thanks
Ford puts steering stabilizers on their chassis as standard equipment. However there are aftermarket stabilizers that some people feel are better than Ford. IMO a proper alignment is all that is needed. My unit essentially drives like a car and is very stable in wind and around tractor trailers. I also changed to BF Goodrich tires, because the Michelins were recalled, which helped a little as well.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 06:08 PM   #9

I'm a little confused. I thought my 3650 came with a Monroe DAMPENER. It looks very small. I thought a STABILIZER had an overspring to help return to center. Some manufactures seem to use the two words interchangeably, some seem to offer both. The after market look to have a larger diameter cylinder and rod and some are longer. Like most things it is very difficult to compare based on detailed description of the item. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Friend of Bill and Lois
since May 30, 1975
Happywanderer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alignment