Old 04-27-2019, 06:04 PM   #1

Suggest you make a mandatory inspection

Had the left rear wheel well plastic trim come loose on the front side while traveling so I stopped to tighten up the screw (there are three per side). No joy it just spun, so I added a second screw higher up and went on my way.

So today I pulled the trim off to investigate. Well SOB, the front and rear bottom edges underneath the trim of both rear wheel wells had substanial wood rot (about1/2 - 2/3 cup harvested out of the each four corners). The right rear wood rot was wet to the touch.

What rocket scientist designer puts wood covered by tar paper in a wheel well?

I wish I would have inspected this at delivery, or at least soon after delivery to midigate the issue of this maunfacturing practice. I did not know the customer was expected to remove trim work to inspect structure.

We live in the south, the coach was put into service in spring 14 now with over 25k, never wrecked or for that matter scratched. While the coach is well cared for I thought you could drive it in wet weather without structrual harm. The answer to that question is no.

Would love to know if this condition is rampent. If I have this issue then so should most others, if not then I want to hear from FR now.

I can repair it for the most part, but it will never be factory.

As I repair this mess I will post pictures in the "fenders" album. Here is the first pic..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190427_094026.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	424.4 KB
ID:	203023  

L'IL Foot" 2014 Sunseeker 2300
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 04:44 AM   #2

Hoglou. Wow that stinks. I had noticed water dripping from the area and got worried about the same. Also notice screws holding my storage compartments and trim came out rusty. Really donít like that design either, especially what appears to be black tarp material on mine. So I added further covering to protect mine and caulked like crazy.

Latest Repair/Preventative Maintenance.
Latest Repair/Preventative Maintenance.

I just covered around the rear wheels and still worry about other areas in the lower body.

Good luck with the repair. Let us know how it goes.

Old 04-29-2019, 07:28 AM   #3

I have the same unit and have a similar problem with the front bottom lower corner on driver's side. I was going to cover it with eternalbond tape. Thoughts?
lexstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 08:19 AM   #4

Haven't looked at ours since returning from our winter travels. If I find water damage I will use penetrating epoxy to solidify any rot and then fill voids with epoxy putty. I have used this method to repair rotted areas on a couple of door frames on our house with great success.

I got my epoxy from a company called Rot Doctor. https://www.rotdoctor.com/products/product.html

I see that some of their products are out of stock right now. You can find similar products from other manufacturers.

My fear with using caulk to seal up the area is that if moisture finds a way in it can't get out.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell
SS Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 08:44 AM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

While I don't have a Sunseeker, most all the other R/Vs I've owned have had this same type of construction in the wheel wells.

Seems wood covered with plastic or tarp like material is the norm.
One I owned was pressboard simply painted black.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '16=46 '17=30 '18=51 '19=32
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 11:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Cruiser View Post
Haven't looked at ours since returning from our winter travels. If I find water damage I will use penetrating epoxy to solidify any rot and then fill voids with epoxy putty. I have used this method to repair rotted areas on a couple of door frames on our house with great success.

I got my epoxy from a company called Rot Doctor. https://www.rotdoctor.com/products/product.html

I see that some of their products are out of stock right now. You can find similar products from other manufacturers.

My fear with using caulk to seal up the area is that if moisture finds a way in it can't get out.
Thanks for the advice!
lexstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 02:29 PM   #7

Had a chance to check my rig and found the bottom front part of the driver's side wheel opening is a bit soft when I squeeze it. The rest seems ok.

We drove through torrential rains as tornado warnings chased us trough PA and NY on our way home from wintering in FL and GA. This could be why it is so wet and soft feeling.

It will be a while before I can get to it because this is early spring in New England and we're seeing more rain than sun. Maybe by late May or early June I'll be able to dry it out and do a repair. When I do I'll share the process.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell
SS Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 02:52 PM   #8

crazy. but tar paper is what water proofs the roof on your house. they must not have sealed it very well.
Philkaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 02:58 PM   #9

I had to repair the wheel well on my old TT when i bought it to fix tire blow out damage. I repaired then sprayed on flex seal. It worked great for the next year i had the trailer
swampdonkey772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 03:44 PM   #10

Over three days and 7 man hours later

Note this was not a berverage available job.. but done. Also this coach has been parked since jan 3. No wet weather in the last trip.

I added the project pics to my fender album.

Steps.
01. Cleaned out all damage, pulled back both rear quarter panels found damage.
02. Used wood expoxy on the wheel wells and sanded smooth.
03. Both quarter panels were wet and swelled underneath the fabric. The driver side rear bay sits further back then the passenger side. Fortunately the damage on both sides did not extent to the bay. About a sq foot on drivers, and about eight inches deep on passenger. Applyed the syn wood and sanded flush.
04. Used flex seal liquid on all locations (tad messy).
05. Pulled fabric back over the flex seal after a short setup time but still tacky (not dripping).
06. Flex seal over the fabric. Used blue painters tape to hold until set.
07. Pulled bottom trim from one rear tire to the other, cleaned, dryed, then flex sealed over the fabric aroung te entire rear of the coach.
08. 48 hour set then I will reinstall bottom trim, pull all tape.
09. Will expand foam the rear quarter panels back to the bays, then the fabric will be locked beneath it.
10. I repaired the fourth screw hole that brought all this to my attention and I will reinstall plastic fender covers.

Done..

Debating the addition of weep holes on the lower trim throught the bottom horizonal aluminum railing (seen on the original damage pic). Concerned that any condensation within the verticals may access the lower horizonal and needs venting.

This was the best fix I came up with such a short review time.

Sadly, the enginerrrrr (have a hard time using that title here) could have called for wheel well channel surround maybe 2" deep and used an expanding foam product and a 40" ◊ 2" plastic band fixed with eight 2-1/2 screw. Prob less labor and better outcome.

I need a drink..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190427_093704.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	423.6 KB
ID:	203180  

L'IL Foot" 2014 Sunseeker 2300
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote