Old 04-05-2012, 07:50 PM   #1
Just an Engineer
Sunseeker 12V House Wiring

I'm have a problem with our new-used 2007 Sunseeker 2900 concerning house power. I don't have any electrical information on this rig except for what I've been able to trace out. The issue is the 12V house power goes out a few minutes after we arrive at our destination and before we switch to shore power.

I noticed that there is a Charging Solenoid in the battery compartment that connects the house batteries (two 12 volts batteries in parallel) with the chassis battery. I lose the 12 volt house power when the solenoid disengages. If I connect to shore power (110), everything is fine again. If I remove shore power, the 12 volt house power is working. This seems to point to a problem with the house batteries connection.

I've measured the house batteries and they are reading 12.6 volts when the problem occurs but I read 10 volts or less at the distribution panel. If I have the E-450 engine running, the solenoid is engaged and the house batteries measure around 13.7 volts. Same thing if I'm on shore power.

The problem is intermittent but always seems to happen after taking the rig for a ride. I've checked for lose connections and everything is solid. I finally removed the wires from the house batteries (both batteries were replaced when we purchased the rig a month ago) and noticed a little corrosion on the terminals. I cleaned them up and waiting to see if that fixes the problem.

My questions are:

Has anyone seen this problem before?

What controls the Charging Solenoid? I know there is a jump switch in the cab to connect the chassis and house batteries but it looks like there may be some control logic that connects the two sets of batteries when one is charging (higher voltage). I've seen it engaged when on shore power and when the engine is running.

What is the function of the small circuit breaker (Short Stop 50A) next to the charging solenoid? One end connects to the house battery but I don't know where the other end goes (heavy black wire). I looked up the part on the internet and it's a automatic reset 50 Amp circuit breaker. I would think this would power the rig's 12V power but I see another heavy red wire off the same house battery terminal going to the distribution panel. I wasn't able to trace where the black wire went.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2007 Forest River Sunseeker 2900 Ford E-450
Mod1: LED lighting throughout.
Mod2: Replaced C715 cargo locks
New2Rvs is offline   Reply With Quote

battery, electrical, sunseeker, 12 Volt