Old 06-14-2015, 08:12 PM   #11
GM

This is the first post in 11 years that I have seen on the fender flairs. ABS is a pretty common material for body components.

How are they breaking? Rocks will break fiberglass as well.

PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 11:15 AM   #12

Just checked my 2012 and thought mine were cracked too but turned out to be just the edges of the clear 3M chip protection film. Since a number of people seem to be having the issue on newer units maybe it is a bad batch of plastic without proper UV resistance.

Old 06-15-2015, 11:53 AM   #13

Rocks? Yes ther are rocks on the forestry roads where we live and in campgrounds in Ca , Id and Wy where we camp. But I would think that the fender flares would stand up to that better than they have. That's why I called them "chintzy"! Auto flares like on jeeps and even my little Samurai are way better, and attached much stronger. I also do not think they protect the fibreglass laminated wall very well, as water dirt etc. can get on the edge of the wheel well easily. Just sayin'.
Yorkranchgalnguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 12:53 PM   #14

Our 3010DS is brand new, we had gone on one 6 day trip to Mt Rushmore and when we got back I noticed the rear wheel well flares were badly cracked. Very few if any rocks involved with that trip and should not be an issue with UV resistance since it is only a few months old.
Old 06-15-2015, 03:43 PM   #15

Brian and Josh, sorry to bring up a new issue for you, but it seems like we're not the only ones to have problems with the wheel well flares. Maybe your supplier has "cheapened" them since you last looked the last 2 years or so. I hope you can suggest some remedy, because the " stock" ones are no good. Thanks for your help.
Old 06-15-2015, 04:03 PM   #16
GM

I'll ask the warranty department if they have seen any rise...but we build about 4,000 per year, some for a rental fleet that each see about 20,000 miles per year (Yukon, Alaska, etc) and this is the first I have heard about the fenders. I get an updated from the rental account very year about possible equipment that needs upgraded (i.e. fails early or is not user friendly).

I'm not saying it couldn't have developed into an issue....but I'll need to do a little more digging.
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
Old 06-15-2015, 04:14 PM   #17

Same problem. Screws pulled though the plastic. On the list for the rally.
2014 Forester 3051s
2013 Fiat 500 Sport
Workin on my Curmudgeon badge
rapiniii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 11:09 PM   #18

Brian or Josh any progress on the plastic fender front? Thanks for any help/ info.
Old 06-17-2015, 11:59 PM   #19
GM

I've got an email in to see if we have seen an increase in issues. Not a lot of options, those are custom molded for our stuff.

One option would be to replace it with simple aluminum trip. Coachmen does this on theirs. Not very stylish but I'm guessing it won't crack.

If you can post a picture ill bring it up in our next product meeting.
Old 06-18-2015, 10:47 AM   #20

Nothing to see-it's just gone! (Besides dumb granny here in Wyoming away from grandkids who could show me how to post pictures) I think thicker plastic, maybe silicon liberally applied to edge of wall then fender screwed on with BIG washers , would make them better. They're just too flimsy the way they are. Guess I'll have to spend some $ to have something made -even though we are still under warranty!

Tags
2014, 3170, sunseeker