Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2016, 11:11 AM   #1

Sunseeker 2250 fighting steering

First time towing Honda CR-V with 2013 new-to-us Sunseeker 2250. Latest Blue Ox system. Fighting steering wheel constantly to stay on the road. Weight is good; is Honda wheelbase too long for this unit? Any solutions? Help- we've got 2800 miles to go!!
Sandymplz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 11:19 AM   #2

Check the tow bar locks and steering wheel lock

Not an expert in towing by any means, but we have had no issues with our Honda Fit behind our MBS with Blue Ox hardware.

Check to make sure both locking handles are engaged and locked (handle pops into up position). Double check that steering wheel on Toad is unlocked.

I'm sure you've done this, but doesn't hurt to double check. Good luck!
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 12:21 PM   #3

Yes, everything's been double checked Thinking maybe it's the shocks in the Sunseeker- or fairly short wheelbase? Wow, it's exhausting driving like this....
Sandymplz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 06:35 PM   #4

Since the 2250 has a shorter wheelbase maybe a Blue Ox tacking bar in the rear would help. You could probably stop into any large Camping World or large RV dealer and get on installed in a few hours.
kins83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 08:04 PM   #5

If you have a ford chassis, you need an alignment. Search alignment in this forum. It has been discussed extensively.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 10:48 PM   #6

You need a motorhome alignment and a centering stabilizer.
I cut my steering input by 80% at least.
Tracks nice and straight now.
Whether towing a single axle trailer or Toyota Tacoma 4x4 toad with a basic tow bar setup.
Do a search on here- whether a Chevy or a Ford.
Mine is a Chevy 2251 (Forester model- identical to yours)
Old 05-01-2016, 11:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandymplz View Post
First time towing Honda CR-V with 2013 new-to-us Sunseeker 2250. Latest Blue Ox system. Fighting steering wheel constantly to stay on the road. Weight is good; is Honda wheelbase too long for this unit? Any solutions? Help- we've got 2800 miles to go!!
I have no experience towing so if the towing is causing your problem I can't help.

How does it steer when not towing?

I could fall asleep and my 2250 Chevy would go straight down the road. Slight exaggeration. Very little steering correction needed.

So if problem occurs when not towing you should check your tire pressures first. Tires on the same axel should have the same pressure. If pressure is OK then you need to have alignment and steering mechanicals checked.

Long ago I was a service writer and saw complaints of steering problems that were caused by incorrect tire pressure in cars and light trucks I imagine even a small motorhome will be affected by same.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 12:18 PM   #8

My 3100 is the same, on busy roads with lots of trucks. I just put it down to being blown around, maybe more to it.
Old 05-02-2016, 03:36 PM   #9

SS 2250 I assume is the same Chevy chassis as the forester 2251 and came with the OE Delco crappy shocks.I changed mine out at 5000 miles for KONI FSD's and a Safteyplus steering stabilizer and although I don't tow It made a big difference in ride and handling control.
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 05:46 PM   #10

I had the same issue with my 3010ds... Not towing I felt as if i would be blown right off the road. Turns out I was way under inflated. I was 5psi low on the front and rear. 75psi in the front and 80 in the rear. Helped a lot. Also with the firestone ride rite air bags I keep them around 60psi. Travels great now!!
osgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sunseeker