Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2016, 03:31 PM   #1

Sunseeker 2300 Shakedown

The DW and I have just returned home to Massachusetts after spending the last four months mostly in Florida. I want to relate some of the highs and lows of our trip in the hopes that it will help others who might have questions about Forest River products, Sunseekers in particular, or extended RVing in general. Overall, I have to say that we really enjoyed the time spent in our 2016 Sunseeker (purchased Oct 2015). As one would expect, we had a few problems with the house portion of the rig, but none that were trip stoppers.

Our first issue came in the form of a broken T fitting. This was in the vicinity of the water pump which is located in one of the storage bays. We were dry camping and had the water pump tuned on. I could hear it cycling every 15 seconds or so indicating a possible leak. Because the bay is made of plastic there was no water damage from the slow leak. I was abel to get a new T and some clamps from a hardware store and make the fix myself.

One of the stops on our trip was the Tampa Super Show. We were there for the whole week and really enjoyed it. During that time, a tornado ran through the Sarasota area just south of us. Tampa got hit by the edge of that storm which produced a real frog strangler. The rain was heavy and we had a leak from our air conditioner. I tightened the ac mounting bolts in order to compress the gasket. There were no leaks the next time we had rain so I thought it was fixed. But in a subsequent storm, we had another dribble. I tightened up the bolts a little more and all has been well since.

Late in the trip, I noticed that the Big Foot leveler system was leaking fluid. The bottom of the housing that contains the reservoir was wet. I opened it up and tightened the bolts that connect the pump to the reservoir and topped up with the recommended fluid. Latter I noticed that it was still leaking so I made and appointment to have it checked out with our dealer in Virginia on the way home. I wanted them to double check the air conditioner too. They found a loose fitting on one of the lines. They also gave the ac a thumbs up. Many thanks to McGeorges RV in Ashland, VA for taking good care of us.

Those are the only issue we had that needed immediate attention. In addition, we have a dinette cushion that seems to have a fold in the stuffing. I think we are going to bring the seat cushions to a local upholsterer and have them redone with firmer foam that will hopefully be more comfortable for long term sitting.

We also have a minor issue with the awning. The arms at the front end of the awning seem to catch or hang up just a little upon opening. It doesn’t interfere with using it, but I worry that it could cause a problem over time. Our dealer wanted to replace it but didn’t have one in stock. They arranged for us to take it to another dealer near our home.

All in all, we are very happy with our Sunseeker and look forward to many happy years with it. The problems we had were all pretty easily managed and in no way dampen our enthusiasm for Forrest River or Rving. We feel the SS is well worth the money we paid for it and would do it again in a heartbeat.

This brings me to the Chevy Express 4500 chassis that supports our RV. I chose it because I found it quieter and roomier than the Ford. Also, the 2300 on a Ford chassis is only a 350 which has less cargo capacity than the Chevy Express 4500. Except for the weak shocks that come on the Chevy, it performs very well. Power is adequate and the ride is pretty good. I’m comparing it to our previous rig, a 2012 Ford F250 and truck camper. That rode like a buckboard.

All was well with the Chevy until we hit North Carolina on our way north. The transmission began to shift reluctantly and it would not go into lock up. Finally, we got a MIL and I checked for trouble codes - It came up with P0741 which indicates a problem related to the torque converter clutch solenoid. This was a trip stopper. We ended up at Modern Chevrolet in Winston Salem, NC where they replaced the torque converter. They gave us a nice brand new Chevy Malibu to drive for the two days it took to do the repairs. It was covered by warranty so only cost us one night in a motel.

We made the remaining 1000 miles home without incident. Can’t wait to start the next trip.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell
SS Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 03:40 PM   #2

Excellent!

Your shake down cruise was long and successful... I just read a post where the water pump is under a drawer, I too like all of our twist fittings are in a waterproof area.. so what mods are in order now that you are home?
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 04:33 PM   #3

I think that one of the most needed mods is an upgrade to the tank level monitors. I'm looking at the Tech Edge Manufacturing iSeries.

Next would be AGM batteries since we do a lot of dry camping (went 11 days in row at one point) and stress the batteries quite a bit. Also thinking about solar panels but given the expense, have to decide if they are worth it. We have gotten by with an hour or two of generator a day.

I am going to remove the wheel simulators, touch up the white paint on the wheels and use Chevy center caps which I found on eBay for $30 w/shipping.

I did a few small mods before left last fall and s few while on the road. Here's a quick list:

Installed paper towel holder in kitchen.

Installed bug screens on refrigerator, furnace and water heater vents.

Installed MaxxAir vent covers over fan and non-fan vents.

Reinforced drawer bottoms in kitchen and dinette

Added non-slip shelf liner to all shelves and drawers

Lowered dinette table by one inch.

Replaced original storage compartment locks with round-key locks.

Installed a built-in box for shoe storage under dinette seat.

Made Reflectix covers for windows.

Built a box to hold 2 folding bikes in cab-over.

Installed 6-gallon compressor in basement storage.

Installed water sensor under bed near water heater.

Installed Oxygenetics showerhead.

Relocated Dyson vacuum cleaner from basement to house.

Installed plastic shopping bag holder/dispenser in under-sink cabinet.

Installed a retractable clothesline in shower for hanging wet towels/clothing.

Installed screen door bar.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell
Old 03-25-2016, 04:48 PM   #4

Great trip report , thanks !
Old 03-25-2016, 04:50 PM   #5

Like the wheel cover swap, could you PM me the link? Next time you have the bed and the plywood up consider increasing the vent fan hole size for the converter. It dropped the rpm by a good 30 % and increased the air flow Also put a mouse screen over it. Look behind the drawer under the sink cabinet, I found daylight needing to be pluged (used pest resistent great foam).

Do you have the curvy couch? we do and we ditched the table and use a folding one that fits behind the driver seat.
Old 03-25-2016, 05:25 PM   #6

PM sent.

Great tip on the converter fan hole I was planning to hinge the plywood under the bed for easier access to plumbing/wiring etc. Good time to implement your tip.

We do have the curvy couch and I'm thinking I would have preferred a standard dinette. Why do you prefer the folding table?

Old 03-26-2016, 02:52 PM   #7

Lot less weight and easier to move around. It is adjustable heigth. It is just DW and me. Target or wally world For about $20.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160326_154316.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	193.9 KB
ID:	102929   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160326_154342.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	214.5 KB
ID:	102930   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160326_154334.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	294.8 KB
ID:	102931  
Old 03-26-2016, 03:05 PM   #8

Thanks for the pics of the table. I'll post some pics of the wheel covers once they are installed. I have to wait for things to warm up around here so I can touch up the paint on the wheels.

Old 03-26-2016, 04:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Cruiser View Post
Thanks for the pics of the table. I'll post some pics of the wheel covers once they are installed. I have to wait for things to warm up around here so I can touch up the paint on the wheels.
Please send link for the center caps. The ones I have seen online say they don't fit the 4500 duel wheel setup.

I added Sumo springs to the rear and they are a very nice improvement. I may add them to the front when finances allow.

I like the idea of shoe storage under the dinette seats. I keep forgetting I have that space there. Might be a good place for a tool box also.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 04:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delco Bobby View Post
Please send link for the center caps. The ones I have seen online say they don't fit the 4500 duel wheel setup.

I added Sumo springs to the rear and they are a very nice improvement. I may add them to the front when finances allow.

I like the idea of shoe storage under the dinette seats. I keep forgetting I have that space there. Might be a good place for a tool box also.
Chevy Dually Center Caps: * Chevy Dually Center Caps Set of 4 Hub 2500 3500 Truck | eBay

My SS came with Firestone air bags, which I have mixed feelings about. I assume the airbags would have to come out to make room for Sumo Springs.

Old 03-26-2016, 06:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Cruiser View Post
Chevy Dually Center Caps: * Chevy Dually Center Caps Set of 4 Hub 2500 3500 Truck | eBay

My SS came with Firestone air bags, which I have mixed feelings about. I assume the airbags would have to come out to make room for Sumo Springs.
I don't know if the Sumo springs will help if you have air bags but
I suspect they might. The sumo springs replace the original Chevy bump stops.

You can go to the supersprings website for more info. When I called them a live person answered on the second ring and was pleasant and helpful.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 12:41 PM   #12

I did build a bed insert to use instead of the factory albotross of a table as the bed base. We have only used it three times when the one on the grandsons did not want to share the cab over (oh brother, brothers!). It stores nice and flat against the back wall of the rear bay and weights about 4 lbs made from 3/8 ply with various 3/8 support ribs.. It holds me fine. The reason I mention this is that I use pvc as the support inlieu of the alum tube. I did see someone with a ultra light weight pontoon table, we almost went that route as it had cup holders and diameter of the support was the same. Take a look at my album to see where it stores..
Old 03-27-2016, 03:47 PM   #13

That looks like a nice solution for you since you dislike the stock table. So far, we have been OK with it other than lowering it an inch, mostly because my wife is short. We don't need to use the dinette bed (no grandchildren) so we will never have to wrestle with the table top for that reason.

My compliments on your basement storage - very neat and tidy. I'm still working out the best arrangement for ours.

Old 03-27-2016, 06:07 PM   #14

Thanks! It has been a work in progress, I floored the center elavated part of the back bay to stabilize and to brace the ice maker. pulled 120v power from under the bed so we can start making ice about 30 minutes out. I have it plumbed to run from the rv water tank or shore service. this layout also provides for on board water for a hose (wash jeep, windsheilds, black spray at remote dump). As a side since we stay on shore power 24/7/365 at home the ice maker does a great job keeping the back bay above freezing. As we seem to winter travel very very often I frequently do not winterize, rather use a temp controlled switch and a brooder lamp in the water bay, a small oil heater in the coach, and let the sewage bay go cold. Upon return open the water tank and hw drains, pink up the drains with a little in the grey and black. let the lamp keep the pump toasty. I keep the outside shower air locked all winter. we can be on the road the time it takes to on another load of water. I do remote temp moniter coach interior, water and back bays.
Old 03-27-2016, 06:10 PM   #15

tell me about the water sensor under the bed, sounds interesting?

Tags
sunseeker