Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2018, 07:06 AM   #1

Sunseeker 2420MS

Does anybody know if this is a relatively new model? I can't seem to find out much about it online.

I'm looking at one of these tomorrow so I was hoping to find some user experiences with the unit, but it doesn't look like there will be many to be had.

Also taking a test drive tomorrow - I'm wondering if FR does any tweaks or modifications to make the E450 drive a little nicer? The Chevy based MH I was going to buy drove very nicely. I know Jayco does some things to help the Ford's handling. As this 2420 is 5' shorter and somewhat lighter I'm very much looking forward to the test drive.

I have prior experience w/ a 32' Greyhawk on the E450, and a 32.5' Minnie Winnie also on the E450. Both before Ford moved to the TorqShift 6 speed. The Winnie drove like complete garbage. The Jayco rode nicely.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:37 AM   #2

For the E450- They add the Firestone air bags to the rear, that is it. You get the stock sway bars and steering stabilizer. They weld the coach directly to the Ford frame. What you give up in handling with the Ford is partly made up for with power and braking. Also, if you are willing to throw about $2K -3K(less if you do it yourself) at it you can duplicate most of the Jayco improvements or better them.
retireearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 07:51 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1njin View Post
Does anybody know if this is a relatively new model? I can't seem to find out much about it online.
It just came out. It will be very hard to find a customer review of it...
Old 03-23-2018, 07:53 AM   #4

I'm very much looking forward to the test drive. I'm hoping that the shorter length of this model somehow correlates into better handling then the longer 32' models. 5' less over all, I'm sure there are some physics or something taking place that put less stress on the suspension of it.

I hope anyway.
Old 03-23-2018, 08:03 AM   #5
Site Team

The 2420, and the 2500, have a 182 inch wheelbase. The only model with a shorter "stock" wheelbase is the 22XX series at 158 inches. The shorter wheelbase should help.

I've attached a very high level FR document that describes the chassis "stretching" for the longer wheelbases.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Class C-Wheel Base Length- Ford Chassis Only.pdf (156.2 KB, 93 views)
Old 03-23-2018, 08:05 AM   #6

Yes I was aware the rig had a stretched chassis. Winnie does thiers inhouse and Jayco contracts it out to Mor-Ryde.

My thoughts were a stretched 182 might have different driving dynamics then a stretched 220.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:40 PM   #7

So I’ve done some number crunching on the coach chassis.

Ford offers up to 176” wheelbase stock. This model is 182”, which is only 6” longer then Ford could put under a van. I know they probably buy the 158” for cost but I’m using my figuring above to guess at the stock suspension handling. Ford doesn’t change the suspension parts for the 176”.

The rear overhang is 143”, or 2” more then the 2290SC I was looking at. So the back end off the tires is basically a wash from a size perspective.

Comparing all this to the Winnie I had. 173” of overhang, or 2.5 feet more off the wheels. And the stretch was 38 inches more.

Hopefully being closer to stock helps the rig handle better. I’ll find out tomorrow.

As you can see I have entirely too much time on my hands tonight. And I’m hoping the rig doesn’t handle like the Winnie did.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:42 PM   #8

And yes I’m aware the weight has to be properly distributed !
Old 11-17-2018, 03:12 PM   #9

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to respond to the initial question "Does anybody own this relatively new model?"

We do! We bought a Sunseeker 2420MS in late July 2018. We have had it out several times and we are planning several extended trips in 2019.

I'll discuss the con's first since in our case there aren't many.

We have had just a few (probably less than 5) minor issues since we took delivery. All are being addressed as we speak at our dealer in SC (we are from TN). Our awning fabric had a few pin holes, so its being replaced. Some minor trim piece fixes also being addressed as well as a broken drawer latch. I understand these things break often so we are stocking up on replacements. Since the unit sat on the lot quite some time we have noticed that the house batteries are likely damaged, so those are being checked out. Probably the worst thing was a repaired "hole" in the fiberglass on the dinette slide. It's on the extreme inside, in a difficult place to see, so it doesn't get exposed to the weather but its going to be addressed under warranty.

Now the pros: We love the floorplan! For two it is perfect. We weren't sure about the queen bed as it is two pieces but we have found the memory foam mattress very comfortable. The unit is small, but everything is accessible with the slides in - Frig., Toilet, etc. What we really like about the floorplan is that the toilet is in its own space. The shower and good sized vanity are located in the rear of the coach along with a large wardrobe/drawer area. I am 6'0" tall, about 185lbs. and I can get around just fine in the shower and dressing area and the space in the toilet room is adequate. If you are a large person (I'm talking 6'3" or taller and larger than say 220lbs. then the toilet and shower/dressing areas may feel cramped. This might be why FR has apparently stopped making this unit, swapping the toilet and wardrobe closets and calling it a 2440MS (see FR web site). We like the fact that one of us can shower and get ready for the day and if the other needs to use the toilet they can. The 2440MS eliminates that possibility.

We have noticed in our most recent trips (after the first 2000 miles or so) that the ride has gotten quieter and smoother. The engine (Ford V10) runs great and pulls our 2016 Buick Enclave easily. At 27' long it is so easy to park in just about any campsite. Setup takes us about 10 minutes. After I recalibrated the leveling jacks that process works great. The other features and appliances are just average, but they are very functional. The whole house water filter is a plus.

We are planning several mods for the coach, including the addition of an ultraguage and a camera monitor that will replace the rear view mirror. I have noticed while driving that the camera system is very good, but I have to shift my eyes away from the road to the middle of the dashboard to monitor our towed. I think the rearview mirror mount will be an improvement. If there is anyone out there who has done a similar mod I would like to hear about your experience.

Over all we really like the 2420MS and plan to keep it, as we anticipate getting back to our bucket list of visiting and revisiting the national parks.

JJ and Dar
2018 Sunseeker 2420MS
doremi38571 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sunseeker