Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2017, 09:55 AM   #1

Sunseeker 2500TS Arctic Tank Heating Pads

I have tried to use my heating pads for the 1st time. I turned on the Arctic switch found on the inside wall council. The switch did not light up. The tanks are covered from the bottom of the RV and there is no way to see the tanks or pads. Is there any way to determine whether #1 I do in fact have pads attached to the the 3 tanks?
2. Do I have a fuse issue? or 3. They are working and I just don't it.

2013 Sunseeker 2500TS
RV2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 10:04 AM   #2

panel

Check to see if there is a 12 volt fuse for it in the fuse panel, if not then turn on the switch on, open the switch panel and check that power is getting to and past the switch. Thats the best I got....
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 10:24 AM   #3

You may not have a fuse in the fuse/breaker panel.
The arctic pack pads are fed through the "power distribution panel. It's the fuse and breaker panel that's fed by the battery via the converter and is totally separate from the regular "house" panel. It's usually located somewhere near the battery. It may have a cover that will have a schematic of the fuses and mini circuit breakers, and one will be marked "Artic Pack"
If it's not near your coach batteries, try and follow the hot (red) lead from your battery. It will lead you to the distribution panel. The panel also contains the circuit breakers and fuses for the slide-outs, power awning (if it's powered), levelers (if you have them.
Info...the batteries in our Lexi are under the entry steps, and the distribution panel is located right next to the steps, on the inside.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 11:09 AM   #4
2012 Solera

Not certain, but I think they won't come on unless it is cold (around freezing). Think they also turn back off at maybe 40 degrees when they do come on.
JLeising is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 11:39 AM   #5

That may be, but when the switch is thrown, it should light up.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 12:06 PM   #6

I had the same issue, it was as simple as no fuze. It is located in the fuze panel beside the house batteries

Regards
Old 04-28-2017, 08:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV2013 View Post
I have tried to use my heating pads for the 1st time. I turned on the Arctic switch found on the inside wall council. The switch did not light up. The tanks are covered from the bottom of the RV and there is no way to see the tanks or pads. Is there any way to determine whether #1 I do in fact have pads attached to the the 3 tanks?
2. Do I have a fuse issue? or 3. They are working and I just don't it.

2013 Sunseeker 2500TS

Why using you heatpads on the 28th of April ?

Just to verify or did you really needed to «heat up» your grey and / or black tank ?

HerveVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 10:56 PM   #8
2012 Solera

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy0374 View Post
That may be, but when the switch is thrown, it should light up.
Grumpy
Yep - confirmed on mine - switch lights when on, even in warm weather. I do understand the bulbs in those switches often fail.
JLeising is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 06:17 AM   #9

I had the same problem no light coming on. took it to the dealer at first they said I had no artic package . I looking at the installation manual and I can see the black mats on the tanks. so I said try again fix it. They fixed it now the light stays on all the time. took it back had crossed wires then charged me $28 for the fix . works fine pads only come on if its a certain temperature outside below 4 degrees celcius

Having fun in our Forester Gump (2015 3051S forester)
gizmo98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 06:32 AM   #10
Citrus County, Fl.

As others have said, it could be the light in the switch is bad. If it was cold enough you could check to see if they are working by putting a volt meter on one of the batteries when you flip the switch. They draw a lot of power you should see a drop in voltage when they first come on.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 07:00 AM   #11

Thanks all for your assistance - No fuse was inserted from the factory. I inserted a 15amp mini fuse and the switch lite came on. Below 32 again last night and had the arctic pak on all night. I assume it is doing it's thing.
Based on an earlier thread reply to my original question. I 'am between trips (antifreeze removed earlier) and we have had a period of temperatures way below normal for this time year in western Wisconsin. Highs that struggle to get into the 40's and lows below 32. No early Spring here.
RV2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 07:06 AM   #12

I owned that model. Mine had the switch but did not have the pads. It was an option when ordering.
The Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 11:26 AM   #13
TGR

I saved a copy of the Forest River Arctic Pac fact sheet that was most likely shared on this web site. This fact sheet says the heaters “are equipped with thermostats that turn on when the liquid in the tank is 44 degrees F and turns off when the temperature of the liquid in the holding tank is 64 degrees.”

As GL1800Rider said, the easiest way to check them is to monitor the battery voltage with a voltmeter when on battery power, i.e., not connected to shore power, and turn on the tank heaters. The battery voltage should drop slightly when the heaters are switched on. Of course, the liquid in the tanks has to be cold enough and that may be hard to determine unless it is rather cold outside for a long enough period to chill the tank’s contents.

Good luck.

Tags
500, heating, sunseeker, tank