Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2015, 03:40 PM   #1

Sunseeker 2500TS Ford

Would some of the owners of this unit please chime in about average fuel mileage . Looking at this instead of an MBS. Too many stories of MH being down for long periods of time and limp mode fun and games. Thanks
Old 09-03-2015, 08:15 PM   #2
RV Nomad

9 mpg. Thats doing 65 to 70 mph. Gets a little better when I slow down. Checked with an OBD bluetooth reader and Torque phone app. 11,000 trouble free miles so far. Starts and runs excellent. It's seen the heat of Florida and the mountains out west, never a hiccup.
Old 09-06-2015, 07:46 AM   #3

We also looked a MBS Navion and heavily researched them. Our same conclusion - too many scary,expensive diesel problems. We have a ford f 250 6.8 which has been (51K) flawless. We get 9-10 mpg average towing a light fw. We expect the same or less mileage w/ a toad from our Christmas time delivery of the 2016 2290s ford.
geeman53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 11:36 AM   #4

good luck with the ford. Too many threads all over the place about suspension issues
Old 09-06-2015, 11:42 AM   #5

I would definitely have a ford to pull my TT, but I am staying away from them in my search for a motorhome
Old 09-06-2015, 01:13 PM   #6

First and foremost, if you have to worry about a difference of 2-3 mpg between this rig or that rig, you need to rethink what your getting, and more importantly, why your getting it. This is a lifestyle, not a hobby, and lousey gas milage is a fact of the rv experience.
Also, when you really think about it your talking about just a few hundred dollars over a trip of 5000 miles. So, if you have to worry about $200 bucks over a month long 5000 mile trip, look into a Prius and stay at a Motel 6.
Each rig will have it's good and bad, it's likers and haters. If you can make do with a smaller 24-25 foot rig, and won't be towing anything heavy, a MB chassis may be ok.
If you want a larger rig with several slideouts, and towing a car, you need a Ford based 450 rig. It has the power and grunt you'll need.
Yes, you will end up spending a few bucks on the suspension, but once done it's a very comfortable rig to drive. Also, with a Ford (or Chevy) based rig, pretty much any Ford/Chevy dealer can fix/repair a breakdown.
MB, try and find a MB dealer that will repair a motorhome breakdown. Not going to happen. Specialized dealers only, unless your real lucky.
Personally, we have a 28 foot Lexi, towing a Subaru Crosstrek. I have a Scan Guage and average 6-8 mpg. Up hills/mountains, less. Downhill with the wind behind me, more.
But, I'm not concerned with the milage, it is what it is, and there are no magic add-ons that will change that. We bought it when gas was $4.00 a gallon, and didn't worry about milage or cost then. Now gas is $2.00 a gallon, and still don't care about milage or cost.
Milage concerns seem to be the very first thing a new owner thinks about, rather than planning trips, and seeing the sights.
Find a rig that suits your needs, and don't base your decision on whether it gets 7.27634 mpg or 9.8736 mpg.
Gas guage settings...
Full.......just crusin along
3/4.......still crusin along
1/2.......think about getting fuel
1/4.......look for fuel
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 01:50 PM   #7

X2
Yorkranchgalnguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 02:26 PM   #8

Gave up on MBS idea. Not much inside storage in the 2401W I was liking. Towing could be an issue. And a host of horror stories. Want something that could be used on those left over 25 foot sites at the state parks and stay out as long as I want. Might squeeze a 2501TS in there. MBS blackwater storage miserable. Then I looked at a 29 foot B+. Same miserable storage tank size. The 25 foot is actually 27 and not very good outside storage. Hard to get everything you want in a smaller MH. Small enclosed car trailer toad will take care of storage. I may never look at mpg, just fuel level. 57 gallon tank will give better range than MBS. Unaware til reading these forums that finding deisel can sometimes be an issue. From experience middle of the night driving can sometimes find closed interstate gas stations. Guess I need to start using the apps out there to prevent these issues. And when I buy the car trailer get a couple of Jerry cans as well
Old 09-06-2015, 05:48 PM   #9

For every complaint about the Ford suspension there are lots of us (I hope) that never say a word. I've read (never replied or added my 2 cents) all these stores about how bad the E450 handles and all the slop in the steering.

We now have 33,000 on our 2011 3170DS. Ours did not come with the air bags the later models did and we are on our second set of tires. We are a family of 5 and often have our 2 labs with us. Needless to say we are at the GVWR of 14,500 lbs and as of a year ago added a utility trailer to bring even more with us.

All that above and the coach is easily driven by my normally timid wife with one hand on the wheel and cruse control on. Same could not be said about our earlier Dodge 2500 & 28ft TT combo.
Old 09-07-2015, 05:19 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by funfinder5 View Post
For every complaint about the Ford suspension there are lots of us (I hope) that never say a word. I've read (never replied or added my 2 cents) all these stores about how bad the E450 handles and all the slop in the steering.

We now have 33,000 on our 2011 3170DS. Ours did not come with the air bags the later models did and we are on our second set of tires. We are a family of 5 and often have our 2 labs with us. Needless to say we are at the GVWR of 14,500 lbs and as of a year ago added a utility trailer to bring even more with us.

All that above and the coach is easily driven by my normally timid wife with one hand on the wheel and cruse control on. Same could not be said about our earlier Dodge 2500 & 28ft TT combo.

X2. My 3010DS on Ford E450 drives great and is purely stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
GJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 06:12 AM   #11
Wait till next year...

X3 Once you have tires and bags pumped up right Ford drives fine. Our 2650s was a nightmare driving it home first time. Checked tires and when everything was right pressure have had no problem hosts or back road
2023 Geo Pro FD19 "Almost there"
2022 Race Car Red HR Long Ford Transit 250 "The Iwish Roamer"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 10:09 AM   #12
Citrus County, Fl.

We are all here to help but I am curious as to why you would ask about mileage on the 2500TS Ford and then say you would never buy one

"I would definitely have a ford to pull my TT, but I am staying away from them in my search for a motorhome"

"good luck with the ford. Too many threads all over the place about suspension issues"

Look around next time you are on the road and see how many companies are using the Ford vs the Chevy platform. I would rather buy from a company that did not need to get a government loan during the recession in order to keep their head above water. Just my 2 cents.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 10:50 AM   #13

When I first found the 2500 platform was unaware Chevy provided a chassis as well. Did not know of the suspension issues that some were having with the ford. Some of the problems are not just bags and tire pressures. This is a slow learning curve. Just trying to be careful where I spend my money. When multiple different forums have many threads about Ford suspension issues, it makes me a little nervous to purchase the ford platform, even though I would like it for its better towing capacity. I may would get one that never had issues. And I may not.
Old 09-07-2015, 11:36 AM   #14

tinasdude, there's really nothing wrong with the Ford running gear/chassis. Some owners have found nothing wrong from the start, but a lot of us have had to "tweak" it a bit.
You have to remember that the Ford and Chevy chassis are aligned to specs at the factory for just the cutaway unit. Then Forrest River, and other manufacturers go and pretty much load that chassis almost to the max. Pretty sure this would throw off any factory specs. Think of your pick up, speced at the factory, and then go and throw a 2500 lb truck camper in the bed. It's going to change how that truck "works"
Don't have and haven't owned a Chevy based rig, but from what I've read it's got an entirely different set up, so maybe it isn't affected like the Fords are.
I've added a set of adjustable camber bushings, re-aligned it, setter/stronger front steering damper, and a set of Sumo aux. springs. Cost so far is around $500.00. May get a set of Bilsteins or Koni's later, but not needed now. My 28 foot Lexi handles just fine, one handed steering, no wander, and I can and do regularly put 8 or so hours behind the wheel, and I'm 66 years old.
Ford once it's set up, if needed, is a super strong chassis, and the V-10 is a good engine. Can cruise all day long, towing our Subi Crosstrek at 62-65 mph (seems to be the "sweet spot") without any strain on the engine.
I have the 5 Star tune which adds a few hp, but much more importantly changes the shift points so the engine/tranny dosen't scream when dropping to a lower gear.
Problem with the smaller MB rigs is a lack of "grunt" when towing, a lack of payload as their almost at the max when empty, smaller fluid tanks, and generally limited to 24-25 feet with maybe one slideout.
My Lexi E-450 has a weight rating of 14,500 lbs. Has 3 slides, plenty of room and storage. Weighed it via truck scales, with full gas tank, half tank of water, full prophane, came in at 12,200 lbs. Leaves me over a ton of extra capacity.
Granted, the Ford chassis maybe old in design, and rough around the edges, but it works. Properly maintained the engine/tranny are easily good for 200,000 miles. And, if chassis/Ford gear needs repair, pretty much any Ford dealer can take care of it.
You have to remember, with class c's your basically stuck with one of three choices, Ford, Chevy, or MB.
Grumpy
Old 09-07-2015, 11:38 AM   #15
RV Nomad

I have not had any handling issues with my Ford. If the airbags in back are low on pressure, it will sway more on the road, but I try to keep them at 70 psi, and she handles fine. I have read about alignment issues from the factory, the proper alignment numbers have been posted on this forum and others to give to an alignment shop if needed. I'll take the twin I-beam front end over stamped A arms any day as far as strength goes.
Old 09-07-2015, 12:37 PM   #16

Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Ford vs Chevy Chassis for larger divers
Old 09-07-2015, 12:53 PM   #17

Sorry was trying post a link to the interior cab measurements. My phone not cooperating
tinasdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 01:16 PM   #18

Don't think anyone, even me, a Ford lover, is going to argue about the Chevy having a better cab interior layout as far as room and foot area are concerned. But as far as strength, longevity, and plain old grunt, the Ford is tops.
Just look at what the vast majority of shuttle busses, ambulances, and fire rescue units are built on. Fords. Also most delivery cube vans are Ford based. Its designed as a heavy duty work horse.
Only thing I could wish for in the Ford cutaway chassis would be that they offered the 3 valve V-10 as an option over the 2 valve (360 hp, vs 310 hp).
I'm a hp nut, and bigger and more is always better.
That, and a class c with a 50 amp option so adding a second ac unit wouldn't be such a hassle.
Grumpy
Old 09-10-2015, 05:21 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy0374 View Post
hp).
I'm a hp nut, and bigger and more is always better.

Grumpy

So it must pain you to know that my new 6.0 Chevy has more ponies.

I do agree with your premise on fuel mileage- get what you want.
I decided on saving 30k (Chevy vs MBS) - buys a lot of gas...and fun.
And I can tow more.
Not as much as the venerable V10 Ford but adequate.

Happy trails
Total Loss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:12 PM   #20

Two years in with a chevy 4500 topped with a 2300 at about the 8000 mile mark. Love the ride and handling. Traditional good chevy front end manners. The only maintenace has been tire pressure, which has not been very sensetive....
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
500, ford, sunseeker