Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2014, 11:42 PM   #1

Question Sunseeker 2500TSC Options and extras

I am about to buy my first Class C RV to see the US. I am focused on the 2500 because I believe it will be easier to handle and is loaded with extras. As a real NOOBIE, I'd love your opinions on what options to add and what you think of the 2500 vs the 2800. I do not want anything bigger. I wanted auto levelling but many say No due to weight and the fact that leveling the 25 footer should not be hard. What do you think? Also, am I safe buying from a wholesaler and having it serviced at a different dealer?
Thanks in advance for the guidance.

/s/ Floyd
fdwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 02:29 AM   #2

I'm sure others will chime in, but there are probably 2 schools of thought on that. I'm sure you'll save a bundle from the get go, but there really is something to be said for establishing a good relationship with a reputable dealer from word go.

Forest River really does stand behind their products, but I've read so many posts from folks that are just plagued with down time due to factory minutia. It can sour the whole experience. After all.. the whole intent of buying these monstrosities is to enjoy life, right.

On the flip side, my dealer had my rig for a good couple of weeks before he would even let me set foot inside while they did their "run up". They tested every system backwards and forwards and since I drove off their lot, I've only been back for a couple of factory recalls that I didn't really even notice, but everything else has been flawless for the past few years.

Even with the recall fixes I could really tell that my dealer felt a vested interest in making me happy. He had the parts on hand before he even scheduled my rig in.. had me in and out in 2 days (even washed and waxed my rig no charge) so there's something to be said for that.

Bottom line, you can save quite a bit from a wholesaler, but once the cash leaves your hand you're on your own. Then again, not all dealers are created equal. I had to shop around a bit. Shake a few hands... look a guy in the eye.. You'll know when you find a good fit.

2 and a half years with over 450 days in this rig and nary a complaint. Of course the mods are sucking me dry.

~Cheers
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 05:44 AM   #3

I'd suggest these options for sure:

1. Fantastic Fan in living room
2. Serta mattress
3. Backup camera

Consider these, but choose to fit your needs:

1. 15,000 BTU/hr A/C and heat pump (saves propane if you are plugged in, but consider how much you would use it)
2. Remotely adjustable mirrors (to adjust lower when backing up)
3. Convection oven/microwave
4. Fiberglass front cap

I bought the heat pump not just for saving propane, but to avoid the frequency of filling up the propane tank. I also added an Extend-a-Stay kit that lets me use a grill gas tank to supplement the coach's tank. It's especially convenient when we have to use the furnace a lot and will be in one location for a while so I don't have to pack up to go get propane.

Concerning the leveling jacks, I didn't get them. In addition to the cost, weight, and potential cost to repair, I didn't think they were worth it. Consider how many times you will have to level the coach and figure the average for how much they will cost each time you use them. In many places you have to put down pads for the jacks anyway, so you can't just park and hit the button. Also, you have to keep weight on the rear wheels anyway so it won't roll.

We use Lynx leveling blocks. It takes about 5 minutes to level the coach. Hint: the chassis is lower in the front. If your spot is dead level it takes 2 inches (two Lynx blocks high) to get the coach level.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:20 AM   #4

I bought from one of the online places and did save a good bit. However it is true that once you drive away you are on your own. I knew that up front. In my case though I have a local camping world that handles my service and warranty items. I know some have had mixed results with CW service but this particular location is excellent. Some folks have had local dealers who could very nearly match the online places so check into that too.

As far as options, I got the jacks and really like them. No, you don't need them but they are really nice! Also on the shorter units you should have plenty of weight to spare assuming the e450 chassis.

I also got the cameras, both convection/microwave and gas oven, 15k ac/heatpump, a couple of fantastic fans and the grill with quick attach propane port. Be sure you get the fiberglass front cap although I never saw a new one without it.

If they work on your floor plan the swivel cab seats are nice too. They are low but on mine (3010ds) you can use the door entry grab bar to get up from the passenger seat.

One final thing you will want to do is replace the bathroom fan with a good quality fantastic fan. The stock fan is poor. Get the one with the remote if you have any kids or anyone under about 5'5" as they cannot reach the controls on the fan. It's also handy to be able to turn it on and off from a seating position since you don't want the fan on while flushing.
jrwalkerpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 12:13 PM   #5
RV Nomad

I have the 2500 TSF. Get a 2" memory foam topper for the rear mattress. It will fold up with the split mattress when you bring the slide in. Make sure to get the fantastic fan in the front. We use it a lot. Don't bother with the arctic package, save the money; the underside is heated by ducting from the propane furnace if you need to keep tanks/pump from freezing. We have the passenger side swivel seat and use it all the time due to no couch in this floor plan. Get the TV in the back bedroom.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:50 AM   #6
Sunseeker 2500TS owner

We have a 2014 2500TS and love it. We use swivel seats in front, especially the passenger one, don't use the drivers side much. Seat is more comfortable than table seat just a little hard to get out of. We have side mirror cameras, they help a lot in changing lanes, just have to get used to looking at monitor versus at outside mirror. We have done a lot of research on leveling jacks, do not have them now, they are expensive and heavy. Our E450 chassis is already set up for Big Foot jacks, bolts, brackets are on frame but we are still undecided. Most camp sites we have been to leveling is not a problem. If you have more than two people in RV movement while parked is noticeable. We have done some cold weather camping, don't have arctic pack, camper stays real warm and nothing under camper freezes but using furnace does use a lot of LP. I think they all come with air bags, I keep ours at 60 pounds but they do leak or loose air, so they need to be checked every few days. Without 60 pounds in air bags, I notice sway a lot. We bought pad from Costco for bed, it helps a lot. The V10 in the E450 has plenty of power, even pulling our Honda Fit we keep up with traffic on big hills, no problem. For two of us the size of the 2500TS is perfect, lots of room when slides are out. Only thing we kind of miss is comfortable place to sit in evening. Front seat is ok but a couple nice easy chairs would be much better, we always bring reclining, folding chairs to set outside, when we can.
We have never had ours back to dealer, we had few minor problems that I fixed myself or did not bother with. We bought from wholesaler, about an hour from us, we saved quite a bit, plus dealer was only one around, within 500 miles, who even had one. We have had ours for about 15 months. We mostly use Camping world, about an hour away for things we need, they have been great. We had problems with local close dealers, they refused to do warranty work since we did not buy it there. All FR dealers are independent and do what they want. Its not like Chevy dealers, who will fix your new car, RV dealers do what they please and sell lots of different brands. So I think buy for best price, and then hope you do not have any problems. If you are new to RVing, stay in touch with this forum for help. Our dealer did not help us much, left lots of things out of walk through, and gave us bad info on some stuff. I got lots of help here, this was our first motor home, so we were new.
Hope this helps some, if you have more questions let me know.
Emory in MD
ejkkj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 04:42 PM   #7

Thanks for the help

All of you have been super! Thank you. I really appreciate you knowledge and experience. This forum is amazing and I have learned so much from all of you. Thank you very much!
fdwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 05:55 PM   #8

I think the stabilizers are very important (not levelers). They keep the coach from rocking anytime someone moves. Some people are not as sensitive to the movement, but my DW is. Would not have one without them.
Old 10-11-2014, 01:16 AM   #9
Commercial Member

Just a heads up, we can't do the Serta on the 2500 (they don't make a mattress like that) but on the latest price sheets we do offer an upgraded memory foam mattress. On regular mattresses it is a Serta with memory foam. On the 2500 it is a locally built mattress with memory foam.

So many people were adding memory foam...we just figured we'd save you the trouble.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 10:42 AM   #10
RV Nomad

Brian,
Our leading edges on our mattress halves are starting to come apart at the seams. Will these new memory foam mattresses for the 2500 be available for purchase for those of us that need to replace our old mattresses? If so, is the construction different from the original split mattresses, because the material used on ours did not hold up at all. It started ripping within a year of ownership.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:03 AM   #11
Commercial Member

Yes...should be now. Part number is S70247 . As for construction, the cover material has changed but it just went from a standard covering to a microfiber covering. Not sure if what would help or not.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
500, sunseeker