Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2018, 10:08 AM   #1

Sunseeker 2860DS Individual Tire weights

I have a 2013 Sunseeker 2860DS. I had a blowout on the driver side inside rear tire a couple weeks back. Tread seperation and not a sidewall issue. I read through the Tire Thread, but an important consideration in looking for new tires is weight. I have the weight figures for the 2860DS as a whole, but more important will be the weight exerted on the individual tires. Dry weight of the unit would be most helpful as it can be determined how to load the unit. Has anybody had a weight check done of each of the tires (of course the rear dualies on each side would be counted as one).?

Thanks in advance!
KQ2N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 01:03 PM   #2
Certified Curmudgeon

Im curious as to what you are trying to accomplish. Your tires are E load rated. In dual application that gives you just under 10,000 lbs capacity. Your rear axle is rated at 9,600 lbs. If your load is so far out of balance that you would exceed the just under 5,000 safety limit on a dual rear wheel, you are going to have noticeable lean. Sure, weighing each corner will give you more specific load info then just weighing by axle. I never felt the need to get that far into the weeds.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:08 PM   #3

Duckogram, I just figured that I had a tread seperation issue and not a blown sidewall and that perhaps I was a bit over loaded on the driver's side. It got me curious as to the weight on that side of the axle. I am meticulous regarding the tires on my unit, I have a TPMS installed and cover the wheels, continually monitor them, and still experienced the blowout. I'm a little paranoid as about 3 years ago a class C was passing me on I-95 when it had the outer tire blow as it was parallel to me. It caused extensive damage to their unit. Luckily, I had some warning signs before my tire blew and I was traveling at a slow rate of speed, thus causing no damage.

True to what is common knowledge, RV tires are suggested to be replaced anywhere from 5 to 7 years. My tires were date coded the 47th week of 2013. They were Mastercraft Coursers, they were put on in February of 2014 just a couple weeks before my excursion to Florida due to the original Michelins being recalled. Couldn't find any tires and the trip was imminent, so settled on the Mastercrafts.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:30 AM   #4
Certified Curmudgeon

I would use the Mastercraft Courser (HTX). I have had good luck with Cooper tires. Have a set on our family sedan now. What with doing all the right things I’m surprised you had a failure but it does happen as evidenced by the roads littered with shreaded rubber. Glad nobody got hurt and you had no damage. If you do get a 4 corner weight I would really be interested if you find an overload issue.
Happy Motoring
Ducky
Old 05-22-2018, 09:29 PM   #5

There is a General Grabber tire that has a 90 psi rating. I think I will buy these on the next replacement. I think the spec is 3000 lbs per tire in dual mode. That would give us some extra head room and tire is most likely much stronger. Check em out.
MikeRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 09:58 PM   #6
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRP View Post
There is a General Grabber tire that has a 90 psi rating. I think I will buy these on the next replacement. I think the spec is 3000 lbs per tire in dual mode. That would give us some extra head room and tire is most likely much stronger. Check em out.
What did you replace your recalled Michelin’s with?
and did you compare the Generals to the Goodyear G947’s?

I had Grabber (XPS i think) on my F350 PSD DRW and I liked them very much.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:03 PM   #7

I got the recall Michelin’s so I still have Michelin’s but next year I’ll have to get new ones again.
MikeRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:42 AM   #8

After "a lot" of hours searching tires online, reading countless reviews, pricing and availablilty at tire shops in my area that can accommodate an RV in their lot, I finally decided on Bridgestone Duravis R-500. It seems like all tires had both good and bad reviews. It came down to the Bridgestone's or BF Goodrich's T/A2. The T/A2's were pricier for basically the same specs and the local dealer said the local Fed Ex trucks use the Duravis R-500s. Did I make the right decision, don't know. Next step up would be the Goodyear G series tires, but at over $300 a tire, I'm doing the Bridgestone's. A good compromise.

Tags
sunseeker, tire, weight