Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2015, 12:35 PM   #1

Sunseeker 3050SF - 5.7 mpg. Help!

Ok, I just filled my tank and found out my gas mileage was 5.7 miles per gallon!

I'm new to motorhomes, so could some of you wonderful folks please provide me some advice as to how I can get that number up a little more? I'd really appreciate it.

What gas mileage are other folks getting out of there ford class C motorhome?

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
DoctorT68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 01:30 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorT68 View Post
Ok, I just filled my tank and found out my gas mileage was 5.7 miles per gallon!

I'm new to motorhomes, so could some of you wonderful folks please provide me some advice as to how I can get that number up a little more? I'd really appreciate it.

We just made a round trip from central Missouri to Colorado Springs, CO. We towed a 2013 Ford Focus(4100 lbs) behind our 2014 Forester 3051S. Our mileage was 7.15 mpg going out and 8.08 mpg coming back. We averaged 63-65 mph and had dash a/c on -- did not run generator. This is typical mpg for our unit.
SkipnTerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 01:31 PM   #3

There is a post already on hereabout mileage mine went from 7.4 to 7.6 this trip 3050s pulling toad interstate driving

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 07-24-2015, 02:43 PM   #4

Quote:

Seems a bit low unless your trip was mostly hills and short. I wouldn't worry unless you check it over at least a thousand miles and a couple fill ups. You should get 8 to 9 MPG. I have a 3120 which is normally about 8.5 with 4K toad and a little over 9 without. The 3050 is a heavier floorplan but it shouldn't impact mpg much.
As for driving style you can save fuel by not driving it to maintain the speed limit no matter what on hills. Back off a little to maintain higher gears and lower RPM and you may slow down 5 miles or so but save fuel. Speed control will eat fuel as it will shift down to maintain speed and often let the engine scream at 4-5 thousand rpm. Sounds good but not good for mpg. Speed control on slight grades and level is fine.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 02:44 PM   #5

2011 3170DS +-8mpg. That's with cruise set to 62mph freeway traffic.

Heavy head wind, generator running, & or faster speed... 7-6mpg is to be expected.

What was your driving variables?
Old 07-24-2015, 02:55 PM   #6

Also remember you can't base it off one fill up to the next. We have long units and gas islands are not all level.

There has been many times I knew the tank should of taken more fuel than I could get into it.

Just last month I had a full up in the 5mpg range, but I had ran the generator 8+ hours in a parking lot (0mph) and it had also ran the whole time the ignition was on that tank.
Old 07-24-2015, 04:43 PM   #7

Thanks guys. That's exactly what I was looking for. I do use the speed control and went to Mystic CT which was a mostly interstate ride, with some hills.

If anyone has any other tips on saving gas I'd appreciate it. I'll go ahead and look up the other post as well. Always forget to do that.

Old 07-24-2015, 09:00 PM   #8

Hey, we are neighbors, sort of. You were close by as I live in East Lyme.

2014 Sunseeker 3050S

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 07-24-2015, 09:12 PM   #9

Quote:

Since you made it sound like it's the 1st tank, there really not much to base your mpg numbers on. If after the 3rd fill it remains that poor, make a visit to a Ford shop for Dyno testing, that is not acceptable mileage for that engine/chassis.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 04:53 AM   #10

Hi Wesslvm! Glad to know you.

Bill

Old 07-25-2015, 06:08 AM   #11

Gas milage with these rigs is what it is. There are no "magic" solutions to get much better. Your pushing a 12,000 lb box thru the air, possibly towing a toad, at 60-65 mph. Over a long period, slowing to 50-55 mph is really not going to save you a significant amount of gas/money, and if speed limit is 65-70 mph you become a hazard to other drivers.
As for obtaining your milage/gas use using the old "miles divided by gallons", get yourself a ScanGuage. Runs about $150 or less on Amazon. This will give you a true gallons used, milage per gallon, and an overall mpg per tankful. Reads directly from the computer. In addition the guage will monitor other engine info.
Many out there who claim 9-10 mpg would be shocked if they hooked up one of these and learn what their really getting
We have a 2012 Lexington, towing a 2013 Subaru XV. I average 62-65 mph, interstate, and usually average 6.5-8 mpg. Secondary roads with 55 mph I may average a bit more. My Lexi is in perfect tune, pressures checked at each trip, not overloaded, and I have a 5 Star Tune. Flat roads are obviously better, but pulling up long grades or mountains, I've seen it drop to 3.5-4 mpg.
Crummy gas milage is just a fact of life with this type of lifestyle. Just accept it, move on, and enjoy your rig for the reasons you got it.
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 06:26 AM   #12
Wait till next year...

X2 Grumpy is right. The scanguage will give you a better read on your immediate mpg, you'll be able to find the sweet spot where you'll get the best mpg and more. Had it on my pickup and changed my driving to get better mpg
2023 Geo Pro FD19 "Almost there"
2022 Race Car Red HR Long Ford Transit 250 "The Iwish Roamer"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 06:33 AM   #13

For info, the Scan Guage will give you "real time numbers" so what your seeing is the actual numbers. You don't have to wait to fill up to get your mpg. It also monitors speed (mph) (you'll be suprised at how far off your speedo may be), water/coolant temp, tranny fluid temp, and a lot of other functions.
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 01:49 PM   #14

The Ford chassis manual states to not measure MPG until you have 2 to 3 thousand miles on the engine as new engines loosen up and get better mileage after a few thousand miles. I have a 2015 3010DS and have been getting about 8.7 MPG so far without a toad but doing a lot of mountain driving.
lucky55616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 03:01 PM   #15

I have the Ultragauge em plus its about half the price of the scan gauge and has a bigger display it reads all the same stuff off the rigs computer
Airlift remote compressor system
Ultragauge EM Plus OBDII monitor
BendOrLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 06:24 AM   #16

Just hooked up Ultra-Gauge EM ($70) and believe it will help some. Driving thru hills of Pennsylvania can see actual gas mileage. Allowed me to adjust a bit and keep engine from kicking down on hills.

As noted, gas mileage is just part of the rent for exploring this great country in a fantastic camper. Enjoy the view and don't worry about the gas.

Sitting by the lake this morning!
Old 07-26-2015, 07:53 AM   #17

Remember when the light goes from Red to Green,,, do not try to be the first one to the next Red light ! Drive like you have an egg between your foot & the Gas pedal !
New motors LOVE fuel !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 09:56 AM   #18

Get the scan gauge. It really helps you get better mileage. It also tells you
a lot about your engine. Without it, I thought I was climbing the hills at a good
speed/rpm combination at 2400, but I found while climbing the Rockies with the gauge the most economical hill climbing is at 3200 rpm. On a typical weekend back here in SW PA I get 6.5mpg going to the Laurel Mts with a full load including water, AC on and a full tank of fuel. On the way back I get 8.5+.
I put a K&N air filter in this spring. It got my mileage up a couple tenths, and
I really noticed a big power difference. I can easily pass trucks on the inclines now.
The biggest saver as Wolverine said is taking it easy on acceleration. Getting out of
town is a real mileage killer so watch the traffic lights. As soon as they flip to yellow,
get off the gas and coast to the light. Hopefully it will turn green before you get there and you won't have to overcome as much inertia accelerating a 7 ton vehicle. Braking kills as much mileage as accelerating (because you used more fuel than necessary), so don't be in a hurry to get to the next stop light/sign.
Old 07-26-2015, 10:07 AM   #19

Make sure your tire pressures are correct and check your weight. Keep your speeds down 5mph will make a difference.
2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.FB.
Ham KG5LTL.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 10:46 AM   #20

Don't carry a lot of water in fresh water tank, make sure drain grey and black before you hit the road. Weight adds up at 8# a gallon. We usually carry a third. We set driving at 2500 rpms. And don't use cruise on hills as previously posted. This will use a lot of gas.
UK Cards Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
305, 3050s, mpg, sunseeker