Old 04-21-2012, 11:28 AM   #1

Sunseeker 3100 Negatives?

I think it's the unit we've finally settled on...

Our criteria was:
  • No corner bed
  • Wanted slides
  • Wanted sofa & dinette
So that ruled out quite a few models.

We were left with:
  • 2860: Love the bedroom storage. Limited kitchen counter space. The new standard outside kitchen just doesn't fit our camping style & it limits basement storage. If could order without the standard outsde kitchen, might consider.
  • 3010: Thought the wife would love the kitchen counter space. She quickly ruled the model out though based on the u dinette - the table itself was too small. Also, my head was so close to cabinets above that I knew I would bump it while sliding in & out.
  • 3120: Seems like a neat floorplan but dealers near us don't stock & would want to see first.
  • 3170: Bunks seem great. Wife quickly ruled the model out though based on how the bunks were finished - they aren't as enclosed as much as Winnebago or Jayco. I am leery of the lighter cargo carrying capacity also.
So that leaves us with the 3100. Kind of an old fashioned design but seems like it would work for us. Only slight issue is not a ton of bedroom storage for clothes (We are a family of 4 & will mostly do weekend trips but perhaps a week long trip to Disney next spring break. Figure could make the occasional longer trips work.) Decent kitchen counter space. Great basement storage.

So, all that said, are there any negatives to the Sunseeker 3100 (or Forester 3101)? I figure people who have owned one either now or in the past can really speak to the good & the bad.

Thanks!

Old 04-21-2012, 07:26 PM   #2

Conisder the 3170DS. I am also a family w/4, we have two boys. The 3170 offers 3 rooms utilizing the bedroom door and curtain. My boys are 14 and 10. Believe me, they will want friends to come so the extra bunks are nice. Also, on bad weather days when you are stuck inside the 3 rooms are a plus; the DW can read a book in the back, kids can hang out in the bunks and play games, you can sit with the dog in the living room and watch the game, etc...... you get the picture.

We are taking the 3170 this weekend and each of the boys are bringing a friend, we'll have tons of room to accomodate.

I hope this helps
Regards

Old 04-21-2012, 07:37 PM   #3

One more thing, the 3170 has a fully contained bath, it is not split across the hall like the 3100 (seperating shower from sink-toilet-cabinets). I like the enclosed full-bath, it offers more privacy.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:06 PM   #4

I have been evaluating the same RV(s) that you are. With the 3100SS, I like that the fact that my wife and I can look at each other while we chat (sofa & chair). Also I see the combined bathe as a disadvantage since I might want to take a dump while she is showering, and well that just wouldn't be nice.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:43 PM   #5

My wife and I own a 2004 3100SS that we like very much. Of course, there are a few things we could change if we could:
- The bathroom is small and cramped
- The battery compartment is terrible. Forest River needs to rethink having an opening that can barely fit a battery (on its side) into the compartment
- The storage cabinets in the back need more shelves--plenty of storage though!
Old 04-23-2012, 07:34 PM   #6
GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInColo View Post
My wife and I own a 2004 3100SS that we like very much. Of course, there are a few things we could change if we could:
- The bathroom is small and cramped
- The battery compartment is terrible. Forest River needs to rethink having an opening that can barely fit a battery (on its side) into the compartment
- The storage cabinets in the back need more shelves--plenty of storage though!
You wouldn't recognize the 2012's. Batteries have been moved to the step well. Life the step cover and you have access to the entire tops of the batteries.
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:26 PM   #7
2003 Sunseeker 3100SS

We are a family of four and the 3100SS does us fine. We still have enough storage for the girl's toys. May not see like a lot of space but when you start filling in the cabinets, you realize they take a fair bit of stuff!