Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2012, 06:01 AM   #21
Love My Sunseeker

I got the Entertainment Center.

The radio I have in front has a touch screen with GPS on it, but the GPS didn't seem to work although everything else worked on the touch screen. I'm having the dealer check on this. Yes, it's a new 2013.

I don't want to PM the entire VIN, what part of the VIN do you need?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiller45 View Post
Do you have entertainment center or tv on swingarm up front? There should be a black av switch box that controls what you watch on which tv. It is a brand new 3170 correct?

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:19 AM   #22
Coachmen Adrenaline

Ok. There should be a switch box in the right cabinet up front. The only way to get DVD from the touch screen to a bedroom tv is to have and use the switch box. The rear tv on that box is probably set to DVD. Have you watched reg antenna tv back there? Give me the vin after ...FS and I'll be able to look it up. Also when you say it doesn't work, do you mean it doesn't do ANYTHING when you touch the button, or does it do something and then not run the GPS?
Old 10-19-2012, 10:44 PM   #23
Love My Sunseeker

I got a switch box, I figured out how to use it. I have watched regular TV on all three TV's. The dealer did the DVD trick on the front and rear, I haven't tried it yet.

As for the GPS, I touch it on the touch screen and NOTHING happens. One of the employees of the dealership swore he drove another model from Indiana and used the GPS, so he went to that model, and had the same problem: touched the GPS and NOTHING HAPPENED although the rest of it worked.

Again, I do not want to PM the entire VIN. Even using just the part after FS is practically the entire VIN. Which numbers do you need? Position 4? Position 5? Position 8? I don't think you need the entire VIN to figure out the GPS thing. I think just the numbers in "certain" positions will tell you. Sorry for being freaky, but I'm from a state that ranks very high in ID theft and I don't want to send a piece of information that is on a DMV/DOL record.

Quote:
Ok. There should be a switch box in the right cabinet up front. The only way to get DVD from the touch screen to a bedroom tv is to have and use the switch box. The rear tv on that box is probably set to DVD. Have you watched reg antenna tv back there? Give me the vin after ...FS and I'll be able to look it up. Also when you say it doesn't work, do you mean it doesn't do ANYTHING when you touch the button, or does it do something and then not run the GPS?

Old 10-20-2012, 08:10 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXSMac View Post
I got a switch box, I figured out how to use it. I have watched regular TV on all three TV's. The dealer did the DVD trick on the front and rear, I haven't tried it yet.

As for the GPS, I touch it on the touch screen and NOTHING happens. One of the employees of the dealership swore he drove another model from Indiana and used the GPS, so he went to that model, and had the same problem: touched the GPS and NOTHING HAPPENED although the rest of it worked.

Again, I do not want to PM the entire VIN. Even using just the part after FS is practically the entire VIN. Which numbers do you need? Position 4? Position 5? Position 8? I don't think you need the entire VIN to figure out the GPS thing. I think just the numbers in "certain" positions will tell you. Sorry for being freaky, but I'm from a state that ranks very high in ID theft and I don't want to send a piece of information that is on a DMV/DOL record.

If you bought it new you should have paperwork (kind of like a car window sticker) in the package that says whether it has the GPS option.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:18 AM   #25
Love My Sunseeker

The owners manual for the chassis refers to it, but says, "if your unit has GPS, see supplemental documentation." None of my other manuals include the "supplemental documentation" for the GPS.

The dealers employee and I think that on my unit (and the other unit the employee drove from Indiana), it was a "30 days only" thing and it goes POOF after 30 days unless you pay a subscription fee (like the Sirius Radio). I'm not paying a subscription fee to get GPS, I still have a Magellan.

JAMiller, did Forest River play that game on some models? The GPS is active for 30 days then goes POOF unless you pay a subscription fee?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATVer View Post
If you bought it new you should have paperwork (kind of like a car window sticker) in the package that says whether it has the GPS option.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:22 AM   #26
Love My Sunseeker

I have one other question on the TV's in the 3170. I previously owned a 3120 with TWO TV's, and there was no "switchbox." Each TV was independent. I liked that option.

In my 3170, I have three TV's (I only requested two on the custom order but wound up with three) and I don't like the switchbox thing. Why couldn't the three TV's be independent? Was this to avoid having the TV/DVD combo? I have had this twice before and didn't like it. The TV/DVD combos seem to go "poof" easily. Both times, I ended up buying a separate DVD player. With the switchbox, it seems you can put the DVD in one place and see it on two of the TV's. (the middle TV is "independent" and not on the switchbox)

Old 10-21-2012, 10:31 AM   #27
Coachmen Adrenaline

No. You either have it or you don't. There is no 30 day thing with the GPS. As far as vin number I will have to see what I need when back to work tomorrow.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:48 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXSMac View Post
I have one other question on the TV's in the 3170. I previously owned a 3120 with TWO TV's, and there was no "switchbox." Each TV was independent. I liked that option.

In my 3170, I have three TV's (I only requested two on the custom order but wound up with three) and I don't like the switchbox thing. Why couldn't the three TV's be independent? Was this to avoid having the TV/DVD combo? I have had this twice before and didn't like it. The TV/DVD combos seem to go "poof" easily. Both times, I ended up buying a separate DVD player. With the switchbox, it seems you can put the DVD in one place and see it on two of the TV's. (the middle TV is "independent" and not on the switchbox)

When I was shopping last year I didn't want the middle TV but I was told it was standard on the 3170 Probably why you got 3.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:45 AM   #29
Coachmen Adrenaline

OK. I don't know why I didn't ask this already, but is there a GPS antenna up in the front window-dash area on the driver's side? It will be a small black square antenna up in the corner on the dash. Do yiou have the serial number of the coach? I went out and looked and it appears i will need the 9,12, and last 3 numbers to hopefully be able to get info I need from warranty department. I could also go through and search for your unit on our build sheets if you tell me the dealer you bought it from. Since we don't make a lot of the desk option 3170's I don't think it will be too difficult to find.
jamiller45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:05 AM   #30
Love My Sunseeker

Yes, I do have that little square thing. I wondered what that was. It's on the driver's side. I'll PM the stuff to you.

Quote:
OK. I don't know why I didn't ask this already, but is there a GPS antenna up in the front window-dash area on the driver's side? It will be a small black square antenna up in the corner on the dash. Do yiou have the serial number of the coach? I went out and looked and it appears i will need the 9,12, and last 3 numbers to hopefully be able to get info I need from warranty department. I could also go through and search for your unit on our build sheets if you tell me the dealer you bought it from. Since we don't make a lot of the desk option 3170's I don't think it will be too difficult to find.

Old 10-22-2012, 04:19 PM   #31
Love My Sunseeker

JAMiller, I followed your instructions and now the GPS works! Unfortunately, I won't be able to use it for six months because I'm currently working at an RV park and won't move my RV until April. But now I know it works.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:00 PM   #32
Love My Sunseeker

Ok folks, here is some additional details on my RV (keep in mind, I'm a FULL-TIMER):

I love the computer desk! But the overhead cabinet does not give you a lot of room to store office supplies of you are a full-timer. This is definitely meant for someone who uses the RV to travel but isn't a full-timer. But, there is plenty of room in the ADDITIONAL wardrobe you get (if you don't get the bunk bed option) to store those office supplies for full-timing.

Ok, the bathroom has a HUGE medicine cabinet, and shelves and a drawer and a laundry shoot. But no room (in my opinion) for towels, I carry 8 sets to last a week. So, I had to put the towels in storage in the bedroom area.

Unlike other Sunseekers where the bed is on the slideout, in this one, the HUGE wardrobe is on the slideout (along with the computer desk). I like this option. When the bed is on the slideout, and you camp in the cold, you get cold air through the slideout. This way, the cold air goes in the closet! (But if you are in a humid area, you need to put Damp Rid's in the closet!)

This model has a small bathtub. You can "sit" with your knees against your chest, not the most relaxing, but it will work. Or you can stand up. I'm still suffering from a foot injury so I haven't "stood up" to shower yet. On the other hand, this bathtub is NOT ADA compliant. There is no "seat" or anything if you are physically challenged in your legs. Here is where I have had issues getting in and out with my foot injury. I have to put one knee down (I put a rubber mat down), then get the other knee in, and then contort myself to a sitting position. WHen I had the 3120 model, the shower was HUGE and had a SEAT that was ADA compliant if you needed. Not this model. Oh well. Hopefully my foot will heal and that won't be an issue any more.

I'm back to a propane stove, my previous 3120 model had the combo microwave/convection oven. I decided I don't like the microwave/convection combo. You can't broil steaks in it. SO now I'm back to propane oven and microwave over the top of the stove. I can live with that.

Storage, LOTS AND LOTS of storage, I still have drawers left over after I got my stuff loaded. But can't store much under the couch. Only small items. In my last 3120 model, I could store tall wine bottles under the couch, and my Costco Power Station. Can't in this model, only small items under the couch.

I got the entertainment center in the overhead bunk. I like it, but now I don't have a spot to store the cat's traveling carrier. I used to throw that in the overhead. Also, when I was "somewhere" for awhile, I would drag the shop vac out of a storage bay, and throw that in the overhead for convenience. Can't do that now. Bit of an issue.

On the storage, in my previous 3120, I was using Sterilite and Rubbermaid storage drawers and shelves and such. Didn't need them with this model, so gave them to Goodwill.

As I think of other good and not so good points, I'll post them. But so far, I am loving this model!

Old 10-22-2012, 05:18 PM   #33
Coachmen Adrenaline

Glad I could help! Feel free to contact if anything else comes up.

Tags