Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2012, 02:43 PM   #1
Love My Sunseeker

Sunseeker 3170 with the desk option

Does anyone have this model? Apparently you can get a computer desk instead of a " kids zone" bunk beds.

I am interested in this option. Does anyone have it? Do you like it? I'm looking to purchase one in 2013.

JJ

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:19 PM   #2

I have the kids bunk model, I've seen pictures online of the desk option. Seems like a nice adult area for a couple traveling. So far we are pleased with our Forester (same as Sunseeker but with more standards). If I could offer a tip - take a look at the Forester becuase you get many upgrades including partial paint, soft-touch ceiling, Serta mattress, up-level cabinets, flush lighting, etc.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:22 PM   #3
Love My Sunseeker

Ok, I have looked and looked at every RV forum I can find, and I cannot find ANYONE with the 3170 model with computer desk option. So guess what, I ordered it as a "custom" and will get it soon. Unless I find someone else with this option, I think I am the first one to get it. I wish someone from Forest River would chime in on this.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXSMac View Post
Ok, I have looked and looked at every RV forum I can find, and I cannot find ANYONE with the 3170 model with computer desk option. So guess what, I ordered it as a "custom" and will get it soon. Unless I find someone else with this option, I think I am the first one to get it. I wish someone from Forest River would chime in on this.

When I was shopping last year I must have looked at a hundred 3170s on line and none had the computer desk which I would have ordered if I got a 3170. I ended up with a 3120 because the 3170 was much heavier and only had a NCC of only 1850 lbs which was too low for my needs. Somehow in 2013 the 3170 lost about 150lbs so it's a bit better and the 3120 gained. Good luck and congrats on you purchase.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:18 AM   #5
Coachmen Adrenaline

If you haven't seen a pic yet:Forester Class C Motorhome by Forest River
The desk option is shown in the first picture. I would think that if you don't have kids or expect many visitors, the desk option would be a great thing to have. You also gain wardrobe space! I can't remember the last time I did see a 3170/1 with the desk option on the line. Maybe you are the trendsetter!
jamiller45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:22 AM   #6
Commercial Member

I'm not sure how I missed this post. I have a few dealers that stock it that way. it is very rare, but a few of the larger dealers bring them in both ways.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:18 PM   #7
Coachmen Adrenaline

We actually have one of these that just came offline. Here is a picture of desk area in it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3264857811.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	20605  
Old 10-12-2012, 01:39 PM   #8
Love My Sunseeker

Interesting that you said you got a 3120. My current RV is a 3120. To me, the 3120 is suited for a solo (not real good for a couple) due to the way the closet is arranged. But, the 3120 was great for storage. However, I'm getting tired of using my computer on my dinette and want the computer desk option. I think this is a recent option on the 3170.

Also, if you get the computer desk option on the 3170, you get extra wardrobe space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATVer View Post
When I was shopping last year I must have looked at a hundred 3170s on line and none had the computer desk which I would have ordered if I got a 3170. I ended up with a 3120 because the 3170 was much heavier and only had a NCC of only 1850 lbs which was too low for my needs. Somehow in 2013 the 3170 lost about 150lbs so it's a bit better and the 3120 gained. Good luck and congrats on you purchase.

Old 10-12-2012, 01:41 PM   #9
Love My Sunseeker

I think I will be setting a trend. I cannot find someone who actually owns one, or a dealer who had one on their lot.

I think Forest River should PAY ME to have this model, as I think I will be the first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiller45 View Post
If you haven't seen a pic yet:Forester Class C Motorhome by Forest River
The desk option is shown in the first picture. I would think that if you don't have kids or expect many visitors, the desk option would be a great thing to have. You also gain wardrobe space! I can't remember the last time I did see a 3170/1 with the desk option on the line. Maybe you are the trendsetter!

Old 10-12-2012, 01:43 PM   #10
Love My Sunseeker

I would say, YEAH, IT'S MINE THAT JUST CAME OFFLINE, but mine has lighter cabinets. The dealer that is holding it for me showed me pictures.

Quote:
We actually have one of these that just came offline. Here is a picture of desk area in it.

Old 10-12-2012, 01:55 PM   #11
Coachmen Adrenaline

that and you are in the pac NW, the unit I took a pic of is heading to PA...so unless I'm missing something here, it's not yours.
jamiller45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Interesting that you said you got a 3120. My current RV is a 3120. To me, the 3120 is suited for a solo (not real good for a couple) due to the way the closet is arranged. But, the 3120 was great for storage. However, I'm getting tired of using my computer on my dinette and want the computer desk option. I think this is a recent option on the 3170.

Also, if you get the computer desk option on the 3170, you get extra wardrobe space.

I was excited about the 3170 with the desk option and a little more roomy feel but as I said weight was one factor for me. Probably more importantly my wife liked the 3120 layout much better with things like the side isle with the 3 long windows, more kitchen counter space and of course the bathroom. The couch in the 3120 restricts the passenger leg room more than the 3170 but I fixed that by building a slide mechanism to move it back about a foot during travel. The 3120 also has a storage space to install a small washing machine or slideout outside kitchen. Haven't decided yet. We all like or need different layouts, if not they would only make one.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:37 AM   #13
Love My Sunseeker

I will agree about the kitchen space and bathroom in the 3120. I, too, liked the three long windows (and so did my cat!), and the bathroom was HUGE (well, for an RV....). But I still maintain the 3120 is more suited for a solo (the way the closet is arranged) but if you and your wife can manage, YIPPEE!

Now, gotta tell you one thing about the kitchen in the 3120. The oven is NOT vented to the outside. So, every time you cook, even in cold temperatures, you need to open the window near the sink, and the overhead vent. If you don't, you will keep setting off the smoke alarms. Not necessary if your unit has convection oven, but if you use the stove, or a propane oven, you must open the small window and overhead vent.

Quote:
I was excited about the 3170 with the desk option and a little more roomy feel but as I said weight was one factor for me. Probably more importantly my wife liked the 3120 layout much better with things like the side isle with the 3 long windows, more kitchen counter space and of course the bathroom. The couch in the 3120 restricts the passenger leg room more than the 3170 but I fixed that by building a slide mechanism to move it back about a foot during travel. The 3120 also has a storage space to install a small washing machine or slideout outside kitchen. Haven't decided yet. We all like or need different layouts, if not they would only make one.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:43 AM   #14
Love My Sunseeker

wish I could meet the person in PA who got it. Would like to compare notes.

Ok, just for grins, JAMILLER45, how many 3170's with the computer desk have you made, compared to the bunk option? I think the bunk is the "norm" and the computer desk is the "option." I still think Forest River ought to PAY ME for having this model so I can advertise it for them. At least a YOUTUBE video..... The only YOUTUBE video's I found had the bunk bed option and it was a dealer advertising it. How about a YOUTUBE where an actual buyer is using the one with the desk option? Ok, one problem. I'm 56 and don't look that great on a webcam......

Quote:
that and you are in the pac NW, the unit I took a pic of is heading to PA...so unless I'm missing something here, it's not yours.

Old 10-13-2012, 09:31 PM   #15

Quote:
I will agree about the kitchen space and bathroom in the 3120. I, too, liked the three long windows (and so did my cat!), and the bathroom was HUGE (well, for an RV....). But I still maintain the 3120 is more suited for a solo (the way the closet is arranged) but if you and your wife can manage, YIPPEE!

Now, gotta tell you one thing about the kitchen in the 3120. The oven is NOT vented to the outside. So, every time you cook, even in cold temperatures, you need to open the window near the sink, and the overhead vent. If you don't, you will keep setting off the smoke alarms. Not necessary if your unit has convection oven, but if you use the stove, or a propane oven, you must open the small window and overhead vent.

I have the convection oven but cooking still tripped the smoke alarm too easily. To fix that you have to put a vent in. You could do it a couple ways but I thought the least impact was to go up through the above cabinet and out the roof. Using a 2 1/2 inch pipe minimizes lost space . Going out the side like some layouts would put the vent under the awning, use more space and would look ugly. Not sure if yours is this way but the 10 watt limit on bulb size in the range hood made it useless. Replaced the light fixture with a much brighter one.

One thing I would like to do is make the front slide 6-8 inches deeper but I have not developed a plan that I have confidence I could practically implement.

Wardrobe layout and space for us has been fine. We have not gone out for an extended period but if we didn't want to do laundry every couple weeks we can easily store or hang extra clothes the large storage compartment or in the overhead bunk area behind the curtain.

I have found the 3120 layout to be very adaptable. We have small chair and can use the vanity in the bedroom as our computer desk. It's not as nice as the 3170 desk and has less storage but the computer fits under the lid and there is a little room for other stuff. Also relocated the TV mount so it doesn't stick out into the aisle way when stowed.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:22 PM   #16
Love My Sunseeker

Yes, the vanity would work as a computer desk, but I didn't have a suitable chair. I had to pull the slide in so I could sit on the bed and that was the "chair."

You had a great idea on remounting the rear TV! Is your rear TV 12 volt or electric? Mine was 12 volt. Front TV was electric. The 12 volt was Jensen. I've been pleased with the Jensen. Front TV was Toshiba, went POOF and I had to replace it. I found the Jensen 12 volt often picked up more channels than the front Toshiba electric.

Quote:
I have found the 3120 layout to be very adaptable. We have small chair and can use the vanity in the bedroom as our computer desk. It's not as nice as the 3170 desk and has less storage but the computer fits under the lid and there is a little room for other stuff. Also relocated the TV mount so it doesn't stick out into the aisle way when stowed.

Old 10-14-2012, 06:51 PM   #17

Quote:
Yes, the vanity would work as a computer desk, but I didn't have a suitable chair. I had to pull the slide in so I could sit on the bed and that was the "chair."

You had a great idea on remounting the rear TV! Is your rear TV 12 volt or electric? Mine was 12 volt. Front TV was electric. The 12 volt was Jensen. I've been pleased with the Jensen. Front TV was Toshiba, went POOF and I had to replace it. I found the Jensen 12 volt often picked up more channels than the front Toshiba electric.
I have the factory 12v Jensen in the rear. The front TV is a Viore with DVD I got at Walmart. Factory swing mount had no tilt adjustment so I added a tilt adapter so even if you have to look up at least you can view it straight on. Also sprung for the 3 year warranty since road vibration is hard on residential TVs. 12 volt RV types are supposedly built to handle the vibration better. Both TVs seem to get the same reception.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:25 PM   #18
Love My Sunseeker

Ok, I have now made the trade. I have the 3170 with the computer desk option and I AM LOVING IT! However, I ended up with three TV's, which I really didn't need the third TV. The third TV is in the middle, which would normally be across from the bunk beds. But, under the middle TV is a fantastic radio with CD/DVD player.

Only thing I don't like is the front TV is connected to the rear TV somehow. If I'm watching a DVD in the front TV, the bedroom TV can't watch anything else. The middle TV is separate. Ok, I'm a solo so who cares about this. Hey, maybe my cat wants to watch Animal Planet! Plus, I got these "switch boxes" that I have to push a button as to whether I'm cable or Antenna or whatever. Didn't have to deal with switch boxes in my last RV which had two TV's.

Right now the only issue I have is the GPS doesn't work on the front. It's on a "touch screen." Everything else on the "touch screen" works but GPS doesn't. I'm guessing it's an "extra" and you have to pay extra for some module or something.

Old 10-18-2012, 05:33 PM   #19
Coachmen Adrenaline

Do you have entertainment center or tv on swingarm up front? There should be a black av switch box that controls what you watch on which tv. It is a brand new 3170 correct?
Old 10-18-2012, 05:34 PM   #20
Coachmen Adrenaline

Also if you pm me with the vin or serial number I can see if it was oredered with the m3(no nav) or the m4(nav) radio.

Tags