Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2013, 02:03 PM   #1

sunseeker 3170ds suspensions

Hi I'm new member and this my first thread. I have sunseeker 3170ds, my question regarding the Bigfoot jacks clearance range from the ground surface. And the sunseeker level too. My Bigfoot jacks hits the speed humps. There is any way or idea to increase range from the ground surface ? The sunseeker run little bit low. The air bags suspensions are at 95 psi. Please advise.
ALMansoori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 02:52 PM   #2

Tough one. I have the Bigfoot jacks but had them installed after the sale by Quadra (partially due to wanting to get more of a custom job placing the cylinders higher on the frame due to our sloped driveway that I back into). Since you have the air bags near max capacity, your options are somewhat limited. Perhaps take weight off the rear (move stuff forward, lose water weight, etc). Another option is to hit the speed bumps at an angle.
paulmlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 12:30 AM   #3

I appreciate your concern yes it's tough one the easy solution is to remove the jacks. The hard solution is to replace the factory suspension with bigger custom suspensions both ways tough to do. About removing weight I doubt that other wise I have to remove the cabinet in the bed room ? There is no other weight. Driving cervly on the humps won't work too. I think we should come up with an idea to Bigfoot to have two stop operation.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:03 AM   #4

Find out if they sell a raiser kit for your axles. There was just a post not long ago that some have done to increase the frame clearance from the wheel wells which would raise your frame 4". But make sure your big foot will be able to extend that far down. If you keep hitting speed bumps you are going to damage the units.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:44 AM   #5

One thing to look at is the mounting of the jacks maybe they can be moved up. Also big foot uses 2 different jacks the rears are 18.5 inches overall and the fronts are 16.5 inches overall. A 2 stage cylinder would be a good idea but the cost and weight might be to great.
lbrunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:47 AM   #6
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Find out if they sell a raiser kit for your axles. There was just a post not long ago that some have done to increase the frame clearance from the wheel wells which would raise your frame 4". But make sure your big foot will be able to extend that far down. If you keep hitting speed bumps you are going to damage the units.
Don't think it will work on a motor home.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:55 AM   #7
Commercial Member

A while back I had a dealer add a leaf spring to a unit and that seemed to help the ride height. Or maybe it was leaning. All I remember is that adding the leaf spring solved whatever it was.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 11:27 AM   #8

Thanks all. I think of adding a suspension leaf. The existing suspension leafs are six in number. I plan in adding 4 more to gain 4 inches height. My question dose it have any side effect and the issue is what about the front suspensions it will require a left up too to keep the motorhome balanced.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMansoori View Post
Hi I'm new member and this my first thread. I have sunseeker 3170ds, my question regarding the Bigfoot jacks clearance range from the ground surface. And the sunseeker level too. My Bigfoot jacks hits the speed humps. There is any way or idea to increase range from the ground surface ? The sunseeker run little bit low. The air bags suspensions are at 95 psi. Please advise.

You didn't day if it was the rear or the front jacks that are hitting. On my 3120 with factory jacks, the fronts will drag over speed bumps before the rears. Thus less air in the rear air bags is better. Raising the jacks up will only make the jacks less useful as they have too short of a stroke already.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 11:51 AM   #10

The rear jacks hits. I removed them untill I find a solution where to add leafs in proper manner.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:12 PM   #11

If you raise the rear by 4 inches you should also raise the front. Problem is I don't think you will be able to align the front end even if you only raised it 2-3 inches. I expect you could not get the camber right on the twin I beam suspension. Also raising the chassis 4 inches will negatively impact the handling quite a bit with sway and lean on such a high and heavy vehicle. Not that it would be undriveable but would be more like a dump truck rather than pickup truck like now.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:18 PM   #12

I used to work at a suspension shop. Adding 4 springs to that setup isn't going to raise it 4 inches. You would have to go to a shop that can add arch to the springs and it won't last. Most 4 inch lifts require using blocks. I myself wouldn't recommend it. Your not going to get 4 inches out of the front. As mentioned, your not going to like the way it drives plus your rearend will have absolutely no give to it at all. If you think pot holes sound bad now, it will be 10 times worse with 4 more leafs. The best I think you could shoot for is maybe 2 inches max and if you have clearance maybe a taller tire for another 1/2 to 3/4 inch. But the taller tire could affect your capable loads.
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 02:00 PM   #13

Thanks 4 all participants in this issue so I have no more choices in this subject I all ready removed the jacks to enjoy my rving time without worries. But I'll try to give my self the last shot and fix the jacks again just for demonstration and do a drive test if it touch again the speed bomb then no jacks at all.
Old 11-28-2013, 06:53 AM   #14

Hello I came back after customized my Bigfoot height with in increasing of 4 inches on back pillars and 3 inches on front pillars. I did it by removing the pillars holder to the frame and re weld it 4 inches and 3 inches down on the hydraulic pillars and that solved my problems.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:11 AM   #15

Glad to here you solved your problem. What year is your 3170 i ask because on my 2011 there is only enough room to raise them an inch or so before the top of the cylinder hits the bottom of the coach
lbrunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 07:22 AM   #16

Mine is 2014 sunseeker 3170ds built on ford chassis.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:36 PM   #17

Love to see pictures.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 04:43 AM   #18

Here is some pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20131202_134202.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	43365   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20131202_134212.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	43366  
Old 12-02-2013, 09:31 AM   #19

Looks good. Have you tried them yet?

My experience is that the FR factory installed jacks are stroke limited (short) and reach their limits when the campsite is only a couple inches off level. Especially in the front. Raising the jacks reduces the effective stroke for leveling and being extended further reduces the stabilizing capability like adding longer legs to a wobbly table.

However if you have to frequent areas that the jacks drag you have no choice to what you did other than spending a lot to convert to a folding leg type jack.

At the suggestion of a Big Foot engineer I added 1.5" plywood pads to the front jacks to increase effective stroke but it reduces the clearance from about 7" to 5.5".