Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2018, 10:55 AM   #21

Update to my earlier post (#3) about the air conditioner not keeping up:

We keep our rig plugged into shore power with fridge and climate control on.

When I checked the air conditioner filter this morning I found it had been sucked up into the intake cavity again. (15k btu Dometic).

The filter was clean but looking inside with a flashlight I can see the coils are dirty. I'll need to clean them to get better air flow.

Our rig was at a show the week we bought it with the air conditioner running and doors open so who knows how long the coils have been in this condition. Being a new unit I didn't think to check.

I found the filter like I did this morning the first time I ever checked it. I was very careful replacing the filter last time I cleaned it but must have missed something.

Has anyone found or use a filter that is better than the flimsy foam OEM filter?? I didn't see any previous posts when searching. Any suggestions would be appreciated even if I have to buy something and cut to fit.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:15 PM   #22

I had the same problem with my previous TT. After trying a few things a friend showed me how he keeps his filter in place: Use two (2) rubber bands, preferably sturdy type-I use rubber bands the postal lady puts on my mail at times. On the rear side of the filter holder (it's certainly not a housing) put one end of each rubber band through the filter holder slats from the backside. Pull the ends through and hook onto the locating tabs on the rear of the filter holder. Pull the rest of the rubber band through the back side of the filter holder until it reaches the latch thingy of the filter holder. Place over the latch thingy so that the rubber band holds the filter in place and flat. I have not had any problems with the filter being sucked up into the A/C unit nor has the filter holder fell off.

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 02:27 PM   #23
Certified Curmudgeon

It comes with rubberbands from the factory. However they are el-cheapo’s and fall apart. I went to Staples and got a bag full of assorted size and colors. The red ones fit perfectly.
Also went to home despot and got a package of foam filters for window A/C’s. Using the original as a template, cut to fit (better than original) 3 spares. Change filter weekly.
Old 07-13-2018, 05:22 PM   #24

Sunseeker A/C Problems

30 ft Forester - I have to keep the fins, inside and outside, and filter clean. In 90 degree weather, I start the A/C in the morning before it gets too hot. Use the dump on the A/C frequently. I open cabinets to let heat out and cool air in, early. The bathroom skylight has been painted over. I is completely opaque. Ceiling fans have the insulating pillows in them. There is Reflectix in the dinette skylight. All blackout shades are closed. I have a heavy dark curtain over the entry door window. The windshield and cab windows have Reflectix on the inside and the white windshield cover on the outside. Be sure to close the dashboard vent. The A/C essentially never cycles off during the day. Sometimes I also close the bedroom vet closest to the thermostat. 90 degrees outside and it is a struggle to maintain 74-76 inside. One A/C unit is really not adequate for a 30 ft MH for those that don't do well in the heat. Last night I started using a small tablletop dehumidifier (no compressor). Not sure how much this is helping.

If you wait until it is hot to start the A/C, it is a losing battle. It will take everything you can throw at it and it takes a long time to cool down! If I ever get to buy another, it likely will be 34-36 ft with dual A/C. Camping will be more expensive, but more comfortable in the heat.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 06:00 PM   #25
DW's 401(k) Plan

This is a picture of my outside/inside temps on our last trip to Raystown Lake, PA. I believe I took this either July 2nd or 3rd. MH was mostly in sun.

The outside transmitter is hanging on the side of the MH, under the awning where it does get the breeze and such.
Interior - white cover over windowshield/side windows, reflectix on inside of bunk windows, dark shades drawn, foam cushion in window vent/fan opening, reflectix sandwiched between shower skylights and vent covers over all vents.
One of the things that I have done is check the intake/exhaust of the A/C as well as the full runs of ducting. Just take the vents out of the ceiling and stick your cellphone up there - got some good shots to make sure there are NO obstructions in any of the duct work.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 06:13 PM   #26

hot and humid outside, but....

We are in west ATL. Plus 90 degree w/ over 80% humidity most days recently. We store in the open without shade, with the power alway on. The short story is that it is as cold as you want it inside the coach now as we swapped to coleman last year and never looked back. We do use both a solar shade on the inside of the windsheild (just saw a weathertech commerical for their products) and a 35$ external canvas cover, and vent plugs (below). I Like it dark and cool so we even shade the big picture window with a wally world windsheild shade I borrowed from the 150.

I get it, when it is not "nice" inside the coach you may as well be at home, that was our situtation with our former unit (out of warent and not part of the "demonic" recall). First, is the actual temp differentail is within reason? An actual read on the air cond differentail is more than temp alone (Not rcoket science, but psychrometrics - my poor attempt at humor, I'll keep my day job). A cheap tool is about 75$, or offer a AC guy/gal a few bucks to do it. With that data you have a valid issue with the manf..
Attached Images

"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sunseeker