Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2015, 09:01 AM   #21

AC

I don't know...I'm becoming a little jaded, frankly. I really thought I was buying a good brand here...I certainly paid a lot more money for the name "Forest River" but I haven't found the overall build quality, or quality of materials to be much (if any) better than the 2006 Coachmen I had before this. Little things like the fact that the interior walls are apparently thin as paper...the outlets mounted on them could be accidentally pulled right out of the wall if you weren't careful. Design things like a mirror mounted on the slide wall which is too thick for the slide to actually pass over it without getting hung up on and almost pulling the mirror holders out of the wall. Stuff I definitely didn't expect in a $75K+ mh.

This is the loudest air conditioner I've ever heard in any motorhome I've ever been in. Even if they finally get it working right (and it's been in the shop for over a week, causing me to cancel two different trips) it's still L-O-U-D. There's no hope of ever watching a movie with dialogue you need to hear while it's running. I literally have to turn on closed captioning or listen with headphones, and that's just not what I thought I was getting.

There's one thing this purchase as definitely convinced me of, and that's to never, ever purchase a new MH again. It's a waste of money. Get one that's a few years old and already depreciated.

If I had this decision to do over again I'd have kept the Coachmen.
jeffreymhardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 08:47 PM   #22

Currently in Pigeon Forge. It has been mid 90's last two days and the Dometic 15k air conditioner is struggling to keep our 3170 in the mid to high 70's. We have no shade at our site and I have already decided I am going to cover the front windshield with something reflective. I also need to cover the greenhouse above the shower. With the bathroom door closed it is at least 10 degrees warmer in there.

IMHO a 32-33 foot RV should have two a/c units. I won't purchase another with only one a/c and 30 amp service. Next year we are heading north! [emoji300] [emoji301]
rsscully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 08:54 PM   #23
2015 Sunseeker 2300

I do not want to sound dumb but what is the "green house" above the shower?? We have a sky light dome and our bathroom actually stays cooler than any place in the whole motorhome
We use the see thru vinyl windshield cover for windshield and windows we love that!!! We set the temp to 76 and the AC can keep that temp if you can stand the noise
Gingsnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 04:37 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsscully View Post
Currently in Pigeon Forge. It has been mid 90's last two days and the Dometic 15k air conditioner is struggling to keep our 3170 in the mid to high 70's. We have no shade at our site and I have already decided I am going to cover the front windshield with something reflective. I also need to cover the greenhouse above the shower. With the bathroom door closed it is at least 10 degrees warmer in there.

IMHO a 32-33 foot RV should have two a/c units. I won't purchase another with only one a/c and 30 amp service. Next year we are heading north! [emoji300] [emoji301]
Well, id be happy if I could stay in the mid 70s but ditto on the two ACs. Should be standard. I also can't run my microwave and AC at the same time and that's just ridiculous.
Old 06-15-2015, 04:48 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingsnap View Post
I do not want to sound dumb but what is the "green house" above the shower?? We have a sky light dome and our bathroom actually stays cooler than any place in the whole motorhome
We use the see thru vinyl windshield cover for windshield and windows we love that!!! We set the temp to 76 and the AC can keep that temp if you can stand the noise
An attempt at humor. Between the skylight above the shower and the opaque vent cover there is so much light/heat shining in the bathroom it is as hot as a greenhouse in there.

Don't worry about sounding dumb. I've almost perfected it myself. [emoji1]
rsscully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 03:24 PM   #26
Commercial Member

Jefferey what model Forest River do you have? Do you have the 15k A/C.

I understand your frustration, but there is obviously something wrong. Before getting too upset with Forest river, this is more than likely a Dometic issue as they supply the A/C (to a very good portion of all RV mfg's, not just FR).

I've been in a 3050 at Tampa with doors opening and closing all the time at a show and it stayed in the 70's.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 06:24 PM   #27

I've got the 3010ds. It's been in the shop now for over two weeks while they fix all the things that were wrong with it. They tell me the AC problem was that one of the vents was pointed at the thermostat in the bedroom which was making it kick off all the time, but I'm dubious. Among the various things I tried to cool the coach down when it was only 85 outside, was closing all the bedroom vents including that one. They say it was 97 yesterday and the coach was 75 which would be great if consistent, but I'll believe it when I see it. Aside from the AC issues, I'm just not happy with the overall build quality of what is supposed to be a pretty good Class C. Maybe my impression will improve if I ever get to actually use it and be comfortable in it.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:07 PM   #28

Ditto on the AC frustration. I have the 13.5 unit on a 2014 3050, and while it puts out about 20degree cooler air when measured at intake vs outflow, the RV NEVER cools down. It has been 80-85 here, and im lucky if i can get the AC to keep the internal temp the same as the exterior. Ive sealed all the vents, made sure there were no air leaks, and have put reflective insulation on all the windows and skylights. STILL wont cool. Im curious where all the cooler air coming out of the unit is going????

As soon as i get back from this trip, im going to install a second Atwood 15k air command unit in the bedroom. Either the Dometic unit or the FR design on this has some issues...
mattnlisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 04:00 AM   #29

This is exactly my experience. I believe the air coming out IS cool enough, I just think this coach is horribly insulated -- I can't think of any other reason why the temps inside would struggle so hard to stay lower than the outside temp. It's insane that we would have to add a second AC unit to a coach of this size, especially a brand new one, and I'm not even sure that would do the trick. If the cold air is going ride out the walls, what good would it do?
Old 06-23-2015, 07:17 AM   #30

I'll chime in here. For those who are having trouble with the 15K BTU unit, how many have the dark full body paint? That can really add to the cooling load on the motorcoach.
vjstangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:22 AM   #31

I do have the dark paint, but it's not like the whole thing is dark...its just swirls...and the roof is white, so I can't imagine that could make that much different, but who knows...
Old 09-14-2015, 05:44 PM   #32

Well, after a summer of camping virtually every weekend I think I should revise my opinion on this. Basically, I have tempered my feelings of discontent about this and realized that (duh) if you park in full sun with a dark paint job, it's going to get hot. If I park in just a little bit of shade, my AC has no problem keeping it 72 or 73 degrees. As a fairly novice camper, I just didn't really get how much of an impact direct sun would have in that way. Stupid in hindsight, but just being honest.

I continue to believe that the thermostat is just not located in a place that makes sense (inside the bedroom) as it seems like there are many more suitable places to locate this that would better reflect the cabin temperature rather than one small compartment.

Tags
sunseeker