Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2015, 06:58 PM   #1

Sunseeker AC issues

Bought my 2015 Sunseeker about 3 weeks ago and have to say the AC is horrible. I'm in the middle of a vacation with my brand new unit and the AC is struggling to keep the temp at 80 inside when it's only 86 outside. Several days in a row, not a single day occurrence. I upgraded from a 10 year old Coachmen and frankly I was more comfortable in it. Obviously somethings wrong, it can't have been designed this way but really ticked off that something like this came out of whatever QC they have, much less my dealer who obviously didn't check it either.

2015 Sunseeker 3010DS
jeffreymhardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 08:45 PM   #2

There is definitely something wrong. My Sunseeker gets freezing with only the 13.5 btu ac
tmhyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 11:36 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmhyer View Post
There is definitely something wrong. My Sunseeker gets freezing with only the 13.5 btu ac

Agreed. I am very pleasantly surprised with how well the ac works even in temps over 90'degrees in full sun. There is definitely a problem with your unit if it can't hold inside temps in the upper 60s when it's 86 outside.
jrwalkerpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 12:03 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwalkerpa1 View Post
Agreed. I am very pleasantly surprised with how well the ac works even in temps over 90'degrees in full sun. There is definitely a problem with your unit if it can't hold inside temps in the upper 60s when it's 86 outside.
You can get a 20° + temp differential when it's 90° out?

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "9 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 12:05 PM   #5

Sunseeker AC issues

Yes, we normally keep it set at 70-72. I do have the 15k unit.
jrwalkerpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 12:06 PM   #6

ac

Glad to hear it's not just the way it is. The salesman went on and on about the 2 inch insulation etc. I have an appointment next week to get it looked at
Old 06-01-2015, 10:23 PM   #7

What model do you have? Where are you currently camping? What's the site like.. Full sun or some shade?

How are you covering the cab windows? Remember the cab area has sheet metal and glass for insulation. I can cook an egg and bacon taco for lunch off my dash in the summer (if not covered)

In our parts of Texas we are already seeing highs slightly above 90 degrees, which cool for this time of year due to all the rain. We were camping this weekend and I forgot to cover our cabs windows (spot was full sun no shade)... Came back to RV around 2pm and it was 78 degrees. That's about normal for us if we are in full sun. Put up the reflective foil windshield covers and cab curtain, next day had no problem keeping it around 75 degrees.

Once we get into full 95-100 degree heat we dream of 80 degree inside temps. Every RV I've owned couldn't keep up with Texas heat load if in full sun.

IMHO every RV over 26 feet should have two air conditioners.
Old 06-02-2015, 05:23 AM   #8

I'm at Kerr Lake near the NC/VA line. I have morning shade, but afternoon full sun. I moved yesterday to turn my awning around so that it covers my western side. I'm using auto windshield reflection screens in all my windows that face the sun, I mean it's dark in here when I have them all in. Major source of heat I haven't figured out how to resolve yet is the shower skylight. Feels like an oven in the shower stall.

I have a 3010DS 2015. The other issue is that the AC is so loud it's difficult to even have a conversation in the living room area when it's running, much less watch and hear TV. so far this experience has taught me that I definitely want a fifth wheeler for my "retirement" camper...at least the way those are built deadens the noise of the AC inside the main compartment.

2015 Sunseeker 3010DS
Old 06-02-2015, 05:26 AM   #9

To more directly answer your cab question I have one of those covers that connects on the two doors and covers the windshield completely. It's white but I do think a lot of heat comes in from that portion of the rig

2015 Sunseeker 3010DS
Old 06-02-2015, 05:39 AM   #10

I Use the reflective material with velcrow for the shower stall. I have no problems keeping my unit cool. I only have one a/c unit and Florida heat is rough on all components.
Old 06-02-2015, 06:07 AM   #11

shower skylight

If you don't mind, can you send me a link to the reflective material you use for the shower? I've been looking for something easier to shape than those windshield screens
Old 06-02-2015, 07:14 AM   #12

got the material at CW in a roll, had enough to do all the windows, bath vent and shower. I also use the outside cover over my windshield. Good luck
Old 06-02-2015, 07:20 AM   #13

Thanks!
Old 06-03-2015, 07:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreymhardy View Post

I have a 3010DS 2015. The other issue is that the AC is so loud it's difficult to even have a conversation in the living room area when it's running, much less watch and hear TV. so far this experience has taught me that I definitely want a fifth wheeler for my "retirement" camper...at least the way those are built deadens the noise of the AC inside the main compartment.
Sounds like you may have the "quick cool " slide vent open where the main filter area is and the cold air is not going through the ducted ceiling. It should not be loud....
ActionJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:18 PM   #15

Do you have full body paint? The dark sides absorb far more heat than the standard white. Those who have white coaches should put a hand on the white surface and then on a dark stripe while in the sun to feel the difference. It will make you have second thoughts about wanting full paint on your next coach, at least if you use it in the South or Southwest.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:17 PM   #16

I do know about the quick cool slider but it's still really loud even when the air is being pushed thru the ducts. Maybe this is more of a limitation of any RV without an "attic" that masks much of that noise.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:19 PM   #17

I do have full body paint and that was my first thought as well...however my sales person Dismissed that almost immediately. I think you're right though...that may have more to do with it than anything else...
Old 06-04-2015, 05:34 AM   #18

Could someone on this forum who is in a hot area check the air temperature going into the A/C return and the air temperature coming out of their vents so the poster can compare to his temperatures? The temperature drop from the return to the outlet is the real test of performance. If that's good the problem is the heat load.

Sorry but I can't check it myself.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 07:36 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreymhardy View Post
I do know about the quick cool slider but it's still really loud even when the air is being pushed thru the ducts. Maybe this is more of a limitation of any RV without an "attic" that masks much of that noise.
Maybe you have a blockage in the ceiling ducts? Our A/C isn't an issue to talk over when it is running in our 3100. As suggested, you should check the difference of the air going in at the return and then at the duct outlets or slider vent.
ActionJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 08:48 AM   #20
2015 Sunseeker 2300

We have a new 2015 Sunseeker 2300 and the AC works BUT you need ear plugs. IT is
extremely loud inside! We have had so many problems with our unit and this is just one more. Not sure how to quieten it down any suggestions
Gingsnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sunseeker